- Discord allegedly used to lure teenager boy to Florida trailer housing sex slave Tuesday 7:36 PM
- Millie Bobby Brown has the wrong take on ‘You’ Tuesday 6:42 PM
- Why is Tony Stark missing from the ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ trailer? Tuesday 6:00 PM
- The creepy texts this woman received are eerily similar to Netflix’s ‘You’ Tuesday 4:20 PM
- Roku defends decision to host InfoWars amid online backlash (updated) Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Pump yourself up for ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8 with this masterfully edited hype video Tuesday 2:35 PM
- NBC asked reporters not to call Steve King’s comments ‘racist’ Tuesday 2:21 PM
- Disney files copyright claim on YouTuber’s Darth Vader film—and the creator is devastated Tuesday 2:18 PM
- The ’10 Year Challenge’ isn’t as fun for trans people Tuesday 1:25 PM
- New Nike shoes can be controlled from your smartphone Tuesday 1:06 PM
- Cardi B. jumps on 10-year challenge with high school performance of Lady Gaga song Tuesday 12:28 PM
- Parents, teachers cry foul over Verizon fee hike for popular education app Tuesday 11:57 AM
- Conservative men are kicking and screaming about Gillette’s new toxic masculinity ad Tuesday 11:23 AM
- Mysterio is hot now in the ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ trailer Tuesday 10:53 AM
- Netflix hikes prices on all subscription plans Tuesday 10:48 AM
After tonight, videos will be all we have left of Kobe Bryant’s career.
Kobe Bryant, one of the greatest players in NBA history, will participate in the final professional basketball game of his career on Wednesday when his Lakers take on the Jazz at Staples Center in Los Angeles.
Ever since Bryant announced his retirement following this, his 20th, season, tribute videos have popped up everywhere with Los Angeles opponents paying homage to the third-most-prolific scorer in league history and with fans saying goodbye to one of the NBA’s greatest talents.
But that’s not why we’re here today. No, we’re here to watch the best Bryant videos the Internet has to offer—as long as they’re not Bryant highlights. Those are easy to find. They’re all over YouTube, and there are a multitude from which to choose.
Instead, let’s explore the best Bryant videos that take place away from the court—the ones where he’s trying to act or to tell a good story or being unknowingly pretentious.
Videos of Kobe Bryant playing basketball are boring. Let’s find the ones that show us another side or two of the man who was so good at basketball that not even Michael Jordan—or Crying Jordan, for that matter—was sure he could beat him. Let’s find Bryant’s humanity.
1) Joe “Jellybean” Bryant
Yes, this is a basketball highlight, but this was long before Kobe Bryant began his professional career, so chill out for a second. This is Joe “Jellybean” Bryant—who played in the NBA from 1975-’83 and who happened to be Kobe Bryant’s father. It’s easy to see where Kobe gets his athleticism.
Bryant and Brandy made big news in 1996 when she attended prom with him at Lower Merion High School outside of Philadelphia. This is the closest thing we have to a video of their evening: a Bryant guest appearance on Moesha in which he tries to convince Brandy’s character to take the SAT for him. Revel in the Hoop Dreams and The Usual Suspects references.
3) Man and Woman
Apparently, Kobe, as a child, had friends—a brother and sister combo—named Man and Woman. He says this is true.
4) “Don’t you know who I am?”
Sometimes, new friends who are living in a new city can bond over a beer run and a quick game of “Don’t you know who I am?”
5) Nike ad
This was a Nike ad that aired in China. It’s unclear if Bryant’s self-importance translates from English into different languages. As For the Win writes, “This is the worst tribute video. It’s a terrible ad. Bryant takes himself so seriously that instead of being poignant, it’s actually hilarious.”
6) Nike athletes
If you need to find out the impact Bryant has made during his 20-year career, you ask people like Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, Richard Sherman, and Russell Wilson.
7) Dancing with Shaq
Bryant and former teammate Shaquille O’Neal haven’t always gotten along. But man, they look great dancing together.
8) The time Kobe Bryant asked a 10-year-old girl for life advice
And perhaps the best non-basketball Bryant video I’ve ever seen or heard. Maybe some of the details are incorrect, but what a great story nonetheless.
9) We lied
OK, here’s one Bryant highlight video.
Josh Katzowitz is the Weekend Editor for the Daily Dot and covers the world of YouTube. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. He’s also a longtime sports writer, covering the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.