- Trump complains about his Twitter follower count to Jack Dorsey Tuesday 6:34 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ sticks the devastating landing—and gives you time to grieve Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Teen hits Apple with $1 billion lawsuit over alleged face recognition arrest Tuesday 4:48 PM
- John Cornyn tried to attack Patton Oswalt for his old tweets and failed miserably Tuesday 4:29 PM
- Logan Paul is selling a pillow of his dead dog—for a good cause Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Study: Too much Netflix, not enough ‘chill’ Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Pete Buttigieg under fire for saying incarcerated Americans shouldn’t be allowed to vote Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Vine’s co-founder is beta testing a new app called Byte Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Report: Joe Biden’s first 2020 fundraiser will be with a Comcast executive Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sabrina’ appears to have an art-copying problem (updated) Tuesday 2:47 PM
- People are crying over these cats’ window-sill romance Tuesday 2:27 PM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme is all about being comforted Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Parody video totally nails what men are like on Tinder Tuesday 1:57 PM
- Twitch star AriLove latest woman to be arbitrarily banned for ‘sexually suggestive’ attire Tuesday 1:47 PM
- The 18 best Korean beauty sheet masks Tuesday 1:25 PM
She has a history of pushing this shady medication.
According to a report from STAT—which obtained a July 2015 contract between Kardashian’s company, Kimsaprincess, and Duchesnay USA, the maker of morning sickness pill Diclegis—Kardashian made $500,000 from a July 2015 post about the pill, which did not carry any information about warnings or side effects.
In the post, she states that she has partnered with Duchesnay to promote the medication and assures it’s safe for the mother and the baby. There was no mention of the medication (under a different name) being pulled from the market in 1983 after lawsuits claimed it caused birth defects. Kardashian had to issue another post after the FDA sent a letter to Duchesnay about the lack of risk information.
The backlash was apparently helpful: Sales of the medication went up 21 percent in fall 2015, according to STAT.
Duchesnay kept working with Kardashian on follow-up posts, though it’s not clear how much, or if, she was paid for those. She posted about Diclegis again in the spring and summer of 2017, but the July post reads much more like a pharmaceutical ad. In January, the effectiveness of Diclegis was called into question.
There’s also the cost gap: After Kardashian’s posts, Duchesnay reportedly raised the price of Diclegis to $585 for a month’s supply. Right now it costs roughly $430.
#Ad #DYK 4 million babies are born each year in the US. That means a lot of my US followers are mommies2B who could have morning sickness like I did! I want to share what helped me: Diclegis® (doxylamine succinate/pyridoxine HCl), the only FDA-approved medication for morning sickness when diet & lifestyle changes fail. My doctor assured me that it’s safe & effective for mom & baby. It’s also easy to recognize – it has the cutest pregnant lady on it! #DontSufferinSilence you’re not alone! If you have morning sickness, ask your healthcare provider if #Diclegis is right for you. The most common side effect of Diclegis is drowsiness. Diclegis.com US Residents Only Diclegis is a prescription medicine used to treat nausea & vomiting of pregnancy in women who haven’t improved with change in diet or other non-medicine treatments. Limitation of Use: Diclegis hasn’t been studied in women with hyperemesis gravidarum. Important Safety Information Don’t take Diclegis if you’re allergic to any of the ingredients in Diclegis. You should also not take Diclegis in combination with medicines called monoamine oxidase inhibitors, as these medicines can intensify & prolong the adverse CNS effects of Diclegis. Don’t drive, operate heavy machinery or other activities that need your full attention unless your healthcare provider says that you may do so. Don’t drink alcohol or take other central nervous system depressants such as cough & cold medicines, certain pain medicines & medicines that help you sleep while you take Diclegis. Severe drowsiness can happen or become worse causing falls or accidents. It is not known if Diclegis is safe & effective in children under 18 years of age. Keep Diclegis & all medicines out of the reach of children. Tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you’re breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. Diclegis can pass into your breast milk & may harm your baby. You shouldn’t breastfeed while using Diclegis. Additional safety information can be found at DiclegisImportantSafetyinfo.com. Duchesnay USA encourages you to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit fda.gov/medwatch or
A post shared by Kim Kardashian West (@kimkardashian) on
Last month she deleted a post about Bonjesta, a newer version of the medication, after backlash from fans. Bonjesta was relaunched in April 2018, which means Kardashian couldn’t have used it during her pregnancies. Singer Jana Kramer is also promoting Bonjesta for Duchesnay.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.