- How to watch ‘American Horror Story: 1984’ 2 Years Ago
- What’s new in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? 2 Years Ago
- ‘Carole and Tuesday’ is a feast for the eyes, ears, and heart 2 Years Ago
- Tara Booth’s Instagram art embraces the comedy in mental health struggles Today 6:00 AM
- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
After 27 years, beloved puppeteer Steve Whitmire will step down from playing the voice of Kermit the Frog.
Tough Pigs first broke the news of the departure of the Muppets veteran, who began working with the puppet ensemble in 1978 and voicing Kermit and Ernie in 1990 after the death of their original voice actor and creator, Jim Henson. Kill Screen reports that Henson’s son, Brian, chose Matt Vogel to replace Whitmire, though no official reason has been given for the changing of the guard.
Vogel is no stranger to the Muppets universe, either. He’s served for decades as a puppeteer and voice actor for several different characters within the troupe, most notably Big Bird and Constantine, the dastardly Russian Kermit impersonator in the 2014 film, Muppets Most Wanted.
Many fans were predictably devastated by the news of Whitmire’s departure, taking to Twitter to express their disappointment and share their stories of meeting the master puppeteer.
I had the pleasure of watching #SteveWhitmire perform with Dave Goelz. The two could communicate without saying a word. Wonderful to watch.— Brian Jay Jones (@brianjayjones) July 10, 2017
Vogel will make his Kermit debut in a “Muppets Thought of the Week” video next week, according to the Hollywood Reporter. In the meantime, compare previous Kermit performances from Henson, Whitmire, and longtime understudy Artie Esposito in the compilation below.
H/T BBC News
Bryan Rolli is a reporter who specializes in streaming entertainment. He writes about music and film for Forbes, Billboard, and the Austin American-Statesman. He met Flavor Flav in two separate Las Vegas bowling alleys and still can’t stop talking about it.