- George Zimmerman is suing Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth Warren 3 Years Ago
- Netflix’s ‘Horse Girl’ accused of ripping off 2017 indie film 3 Years Ago
- The Genyus Network is a safe social space for stroke survivors 3 Years Ago
- MAGA hat-wearing dog finishes last in ‘Today Show’ fan vote—still named winner Today 2:03 PM
- Reddit users share stories of the worst things guests have done in their homes Today 1:25 PM
- WikiLeaks lawyer says Trump offered Assange a pardon—if he’d deny Russian hack Today 1:16 PM
- 6-year-old placed in psychiatric facility for ‘trantrum’ is seen acting calm in body cam footage Today 1:05 PM
- Amy Klobuchar devouring Ivanka Trump is the 2020 vore crossover no one wanted Today 12:32 PM
- Review: Hulu’s ‘Devs’ is a brilliant work of near-future science fiction Today 11:53 AM
- Rapper Pop Smoke dead at 20 Today 11:42 AM
- KSI says he will back Team YouTube if Logan Paul fights Antonio Brown Today 11:29 AM
- William Barr questions whether tech companies should be protected for user content Today 11:10 AM
- The Bloomberg campaign has reached its post-parody zenith Today 10:35 AM
- Ben Affleck explains why he lied about his back tattoo Today 10:28 AM
- Kim Kardashian West accidentally praises Jeff Bezos for threatening to fire employees Today 10:19 AM
After 27 years, beloved puppeteer Steve Whitmire will step down from playing the voice of Kermit the Frog.
Tough Pigs first broke the news of the departure of the Muppets veteran, who began working with the puppet ensemble in 1978 and voicing Kermit and Ernie in 1990 after the death of their original voice actor and creator, Jim Henson. Kill Screen reports that Henson’s son, Brian, chose Matt Vogel to replace Whitmire, though no official reason has been given for the changing of the guard.
Vogel is no stranger to the Muppets universe, either. He’s served for decades as a puppeteer and voice actor for several different characters within the troupe, most notably Big Bird and Constantine, the dastardly Russian Kermit impersonator in the 2014 film, Muppets Most Wanted.
Many fans were predictably devastated by the news of Whitmire’s departure, taking to Twitter to express their disappointment and share their stories of meeting the master puppeteer.
I had the pleasure of watching #SteveWhitmire perform with Dave Goelz. The two could communicate without saying a word. Wonderful to watch.— Brian Jay Jones (@brianjayjones) July 10, 2017
Vogel will make his Kermit debut in a “Muppets Thought of the Week” video next week, according to the Hollywood Reporter. In the meantime, compare previous Kermit performances from Henson, Whitmire, and longtime understudy Artie Esposito in the compilation below.
H/T BBC News
Bryan Rolli is a reporter who specializes in streaming entertainment. He writes about music and film for Forbes, Billboard, and the Austin American-Statesman. He met Flavor Flav in two separate Las Vegas bowling alleys and still can’t stop talking about it.