- Report: YouTube will no longer run ads on anti-vax channels 10 Months Ago
- Microsoft employees want to cancel a $479 million contract with the U.S. military Today 1:14 PM
- Queso recipe gets launched to space Today 10:09 AM
- ‘Isabelle Facts’ was a wholesome queer meme account—until harassers showed up Today 8:28 AM
- 2016 election stories the ‘Newsroom’ reboot will cover Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Brandon Rios vs. Humberto Soto for free Today 6:00 AM
- ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ heads to ‘Bly Manor’ for next installment Today 5:45 AM
- How to stream James DeGale vs. Chris Eubank Jr. for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 145 in Prague for free Today 5:00 AM
- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
- Amy Klobuchar reportedly ate salad with a comb, and Twitter’s got questions Friday 2:47 PM
- Nobody likes Spotify’s new update Friday 2:34 PM
Kelis says ex-husband Nas was physically and mentally abusive
Kelis has opened up about her relationship with ex-husband Nas in a new interview with Hollywood Unlocked.
Kelis, who filed for divorce from rapper Nas in 2009, detailed their tumultuous relationship and the physical and mental abuse he inflicted on her, as well as issues with drinking and their public custody battle for 8-year-old son Knight.
She claims that after seeing photos of Rihanna in 2009, after Chris Brown physically abused her, she thought about saying something about the abuse she was experiencing: “The only way I can describe it is it was like double dutch. Do I jump in, do I say it? Because I had bruises all over my body at that time.” However, she says this is the first time she’s spoken about the abuse.
Asked by Hollywood Unlocked CEO Jason Lee if Nas hit her, she said yes, and that she would hit him back. She adds that Nas likely doesn’t remember many of the incidents, because of blackout drinking.
Kelis is now a chef and founder of the sauce line Bounty & Full, and is raising her two kids. She says she’s speaking now to help other women who might be in similar situations but are afraid to speak up or reach out. “Women can’t be afraid to fight,” she says.
Nas’ ex Carmen Bryan in her 2007 memoir also said that the rapper was physically abusive toward her.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.