- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Today 5:20 PM
- Professor writes article defending ‘Asian romantic preference’—and no one is here for it Today 4:57 PM
- Ditch Pornhub and support adult content creators instead Today 4:46 PM
- Fans grieve Kyoto Animation Studio fire with #PrayforKyoAni Today 4:18 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Secret Obsession’ isn’t just terrible—it’s boring as hell Today 3:30 PM
- Instagram expands experiment of hiding likes to 6 more countries Today 3:20 PM
- Man asks woman to stop speaking Spanish on a plane—and bystanders start speaking Spanish Today 12:55 PM
- Schumer calls on FBI, FTC to investigate FaceApp Today 12:41 PM
- Netflix loses subscribers—but hopes some tentpole shows can save it Today 12:10 PM
- Man utterly roasted for saying women can’t ask for equality in revealing clothing Today 12:07 PM
- Instagram struggles to remove photos of Bianca Devins’ dead body Today 11:14 AM
- ‘Storm Area 51’ creator says its gotten so big he’s worried about the FBI Today 10:49 AM
- Everyone loves Q baby, the baby who apparently supports QAnon Today 9:53 AM
- Thread about ‘depression meals’ is inspiring lots of relatable answers Today 9:36 AM
- How long is ‘Avengers: Infinity War’? Today 9:30 AM
Kelis says ex-husband Nas was physically and mentally abusive
Kelis has opened up about her relationship with ex-husband Nas in a new interview with Hollywood Unlocked.
Kelis, who filed for divorce from rapper Nas in 2009, detailed their tumultuous relationship and the physical and mental abuse he inflicted on her, as well as issues with drinking and their public custody battle for 8-year-old son Knight.
She claims that after seeing photos of Rihanna in 2009, after Chris Brown physically abused her, she thought about saying something about the abuse she was experiencing: “The only way I can describe it is it was like double dutch. Do I jump in, do I say it? Because I had bruises all over my body at that time.” However, she says this is the first time she’s spoken about the abuse.
Asked by Hollywood Unlocked CEO Jason Lee if Nas hit her, she said yes, and that she would hit him back. She adds that Nas likely doesn’t remember many of the incidents, because of blackout drinking.
Kelis is now a chef and founder of the sauce line Bounty & Full, and is raising her two kids. She says she’s speaking now to help other women who might be in similar situations but are afraid to speak up or reach out. “Women can’t be afraid to fight,” she says.
Nas’ ex Carmen Bryan in her 2007 memoir also said that the rapper was physically abusive toward her.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.