- Pete Buttigieg under fire for saying incarcerated Americans shouldn’t be allowed to vote 12 Months Ago
- Vine’s co-founder is beta testing a new app called Byte 12 Months Ago
- Report: Joe Biden’s first 2020 fundraiser will be with a Comcast executive 12 Months Ago
- Netflix’s ‘Sabrina’ appears to have an art-copying problem 12 Months Ago
- People are crying over these cats’ window-sill romance 12 Months Ago
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme is all about being comforted 12 Months Ago
- Parody video totally nails what men are like on Tinder Today 1:57 PM
- Twitch star AriLove latest woman to be arbitrarily banned for ‘sexually suggestive’ attire Today 1:47 PM
- The 18 best Korean beauty sheet masks Today 1:25 PM
- Report: 5,000 Twitter bots pushed ‘Russiagate hoax’ after Mueller report Today 11:15 AM
- Google Trends show how differently Notre Dame and Sri Lanka are being mourned Today 10:50 AM
- Harvard centrists get relentlessly clowned for asking Bernie about socialism Today 10:38 AM
- Flex your knowledge of dank memes with What Do You Meme? card game Today 10:33 AM
- Facebook’s new general counsel helped craft the ‘Patriot Act’ Today 10:26 AM
- Get a free month of live TV streaming while this Philo deal lasts Today 10:11 AM
Kelis says ex-husband Nas was physically and mentally abusive
Kelis has opened up about her relationship with ex-husband Nas in a new interview with Hollywood Unlocked.
Kelis, who filed for divorce from rapper Nas in 2009, detailed their tumultuous relationship and the physical and mental abuse he inflicted on her, as well as issues with drinking and their public custody battle for 8-year-old son Knight.
She claims that after seeing photos of Rihanna in 2009, after Chris Brown physically abused her, she thought about saying something about the abuse she was experiencing: “The only way I can describe it is it was like double dutch. Do I jump in, do I say it? Because I had bruises all over my body at that time.” However, she says this is the first time she’s spoken about the abuse.
Asked by Hollywood Unlocked CEO Jason Lee if Nas hit her, she said yes, and that she would hit him back. She adds that Nas likely doesn’t remember many of the incidents, because of blackout drinking.
Kelis is now a chef and founder of the sauce line Bounty & Full, and is raising her two kids. She says she’s speaking now to help other women who might be in similar situations but are afraid to speak up or reach out. “Women can’t be afraid to fight,” she says.
Nas’ ex Carmen Bryan in her 2007 memoir also said that the rapper was physically abusive toward her.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.