- Mo’Nique suing Netflix for race and gender discrimination 1 Week Ago
- Students outraged that professors accused of sexual misconduct are still teaching 1 Week Ago
- TikTok users jokingly wear big hats to sneak snacks into movie theaters Today 3:59 PM
- Why today’s new facially recognition bill is being called ‘woefully’ inadequate Today 3:15 PM
- Facebook has given more user data to the government than ever before Today 2:57 PM
- Instagram included in Facebook transparency report for the first time Today 1:46 PM
- PayPal pulls out of Pornhub, leaving sex workers to consider cryptocurrency Today 1:46 PM
- Billionaires are resorting to making racist jokes against Warren now Today 1:30 PM
- What is the meme of the decade? Today 1:07 PM
- At least 5 employees resign from GitHub, citing ICE contract Today 12:57 PM
- The ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ redesign was led by a ‘Sonic’ artist Today 12:17 PM
- The 16-inch MacBook Pro is a beast, and it has a decent keyboard Today 11:24 AM
- This group is scanning thousands of faces in Congress today to protest facial recognition Today 11:09 AM
- Why is everyone debating Pete Buttigieg’s Medicare for All stance? Today 10:47 AM
- The Motorola Razr is a foldable homage to millennial nostalgia Today 10:22 AM
We’ve seen a number of (mostly male) celebrities receive plaudits—and grimaces—for dating people decades their junior.
So, of course, John Wick actor Keanu Reeves is trending on Twitter today because he’s decided to date a woman who is well within his age bracket. Over the weekend, 55-year-old Reeves made public his relationship with artist Alexandra Grant, who is 46. The two made their red carpet debut Saturday at the LACMA Art and Film Gala in Los Angeles.
Reeves and Grant had a business-partner-turned-romantic relationship that Grant described to Los Angeles Magazine in 2018: “We really like [a] ‘can-do’ [attitude]. Some people are kind of dreamers who have a lot of ideas but don’t like to get things done. I think we both like to have the idea and get it into the world.”
Most of the internet appears to be cheering the couple on.
“Keanu Reeves is in a happy relationship and we are going to celebrate that today everyone,” Twitter user @thetylerpointer wrote.
Of course Keanu Reeves and his girlfriend Alexandra Grant look like a dope cyberpunk couple. It just makes sense. pic.twitter.com/qq1uFwPOEl— Jonah #SaveDaredevil (@jonahdrake47) November 5, 2019
Keanu Reeves’ happiness is the only thing everyone can agree upon— ali segel (@OnlineAlison) November 5, 2019
i don't usually cry over celebrities, but— Kyle Gaddo (@kylegaddo) November 4, 2019
i love to see my mans happy 😭😭😭 https://t.co/iGutsRZmD9
But some people couldn’t help but note the fact that Reeves is dating an age-appropriate woman—apparently something we don’t see too much of in Hollywood these days.
“People wondering why the commentary on Keanu Reeves’ gf is significant ignore the fact that we as a society have a very sick obsession with youth in women that teeters dangerously close to pedo territories. older men look at dating younger women as a sign of status, ownership,” wrote Twitter user @makirollOFC.
Keanu and his age-appropriate girlfriend look so cutely and refreshingly normalhttps://t.co/gL5dKnhpFc— Tom & Lorenzo (@tomandlorenzo) November 5, 2019
keanu reeves is 55 and his girlfriend is 46 and can i just say what a fucking breath of fresh air it is to see a hollywood man date an “older” woman who actually looks her age— faith (@waterlilygloss) November 5, 2019
Most people were sick of the commentary on the two’s ages.
Keanu Reeves has won an Olympic medal for dating someone “age appropriate” (9 years younger than him). Meanwhile the commentary about Alexandra Grant, his girlfriend, showcases how much America hates women, especially women over 40.— saira rao (@sairasameerarao) November 5, 2019
You can’t mock Leonardo DiCaprio for dating teenagers and also mock Keanu Reeves’ age appropriate partner for having aged in a way you find disgusting ie visibly at the same time G R O W U P !!!!!!!!! The misogyny was coming from inside the house!!— Megan (@mmegannnolan) November 5, 2019
Another part of the reason news of the relationship is getting so much attention is because Reeves hasn’t had a girlfriend in decades after the tragic death of Jennifer Syme in 2001. Syme gave birth to their daughter, Ava Archer-Syme Reeves, in 1999 while eight months pregnant, but the infant was stillborn. Shortly after the tragedy, the couple broke up but remained close friends. Syme died in a car accident on April 2, 2001, and is buried next to her and Reeves’ daughter in a California cemetery.
I don’t know why I’m so happy Keanu Reeves has a girlfriend (who is age appropriate no less). I don’t know this man personally. But what happened to him sucks and he deserves some happiness.— 🍁Imani Gandied Yams🍁 (@AngryBlackLady) November 5, 2019
We all do. 😭😭
Age-appropriateness aside, we’re rooting for Reeves’ happiness!
Alexandra Samuels is a political reporter at the Texas Tribune and contributor to the Daily Dot, where she started as an intern covering politics in the summer of 2016. She enjoys Marvel movies, baking, and reading murder-mystery novels.