- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
John Oliver found the one word Trump uses when he doesn’t understand a topic
He sided with Democrats to raise the debt ceiling over members of his own party and officially ended DACA. Those each offered moments of confusion. A report from the New York Times indicated that he “might not fully grasp” what he was doing by ending DACA, and he told reporters after making the debt ceiling deal with Democratic leaders that “we’re going to make a lot of people happy.”
Oliver’s conclusion—that Trump has no idea what he’s doing—is not a far-reaching one. However, he’s figured out just how we know that he has no idea how he’s doing. Just wait for Trump to tell someone they’ll be happy or his decision will make them happy. It’s to shut down the conversation.
“OK listen, because this is important: any time Trump says he’s going to make people happy, or that you’re going to be happy in the future, that means he has got nothing and he’s trying to end the conversation,” Oliver explained. “Remember, that’s how he shut down Chuck Todd on the plane. And he doesn’t just do it with immigration, he does it with everything.”
And if that wasn’t enough, Oliver has more than a few clips to showcase just how often he does it. The next time we hear it might be enough to raise some eyebrows.
H/T the Daily Beast
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.