- The atonement of an alt-right troll Today 9:25 AM
- #StopTheBans protests draw thousands across the country in support of abortion rights Today 9:24 AM
- North Korea is using Trump’s low IQ attack on Joe Biden Today 9:14 AM
- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- What’s the deal with Bran Stark at the end of ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch TruTV online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
John Oliver found the one word Trump uses when he doesn’t understand a topic
He sided with Democrats to raise the debt ceiling over members of his own party and officially ended DACA. Those each offered moments of confusion. A report from the New York Times indicated that he “might not fully grasp” what he was doing by ending DACA, and he told reporters after making the debt ceiling deal with Democratic leaders that “we’re going to make a lot of people happy.”
Oliver’s conclusion—that Trump has no idea what he’s doing—is not a far-reaching one. However, he’s figured out just how we know that he has no idea how he’s doing. Just wait for Trump to tell someone they’ll be happy or his decision will make them happy. It’s to shut down the conversation.
“OK listen, because this is important: any time Trump says he’s going to make people happy, or that you’re going to be happy in the future, that means he has got nothing and he’s trying to end the conversation,” Oliver explained. “Remember, that’s how he shut down Chuck Todd on the plane. And he doesn’t just do it with immigration, he does it with everything.”
And if that wasn’t enough, Oliver has more than a few clips to showcase just how often he does it. The next time we hear it might be enough to raise some eyebrows.
H/T the Daily Beast
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.