- Woman slammed for trying to put UPS driver on blast Sunday 5:23 PM
- Twitter users are sharing which celebrities have blocked them Sunday 4:43 PM
- Conspiracy theorists are already taking advantage of Kobe Bryant’s death Sunday 4:14 PM
- Adam Driver returns to ‘SNL’ as Kylo Ren to reprise role in ‘Undercover Boss’ parody Sunday 3:46 PM
- White men are raging over ‘SNL’s’ white male rage skit Sunday 3:05 PM
- Kobe Bryant dead at 41 Sunday 2:24 PM
- Pete Buttigieg mocked over ‘staged’ walking photo Sunday 12:22 PM
- Louise Linton deletes pro-Greta Thunberg Instagram post Sunday 10:58 AM
- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Sunday 9:08 AM
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Sunday 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Sunday 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Sunday 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
“The choice is the Landlord’s, not the tenant’s, nor the neighbour’s,” Jamil wrote. “Your uterus. Your choice.”
The actress tweeted a similar statement on Sunday.
“If it’s at the cost of a woman/little girl/rape or incest victim/ disabled person who doesn’t want to put their life and body through hell for a baby they don’t want and can’t take care of.. YEP. Every. Time. The choice is the landlord’s, not the tenant, nor the neighbour’s,” she tweeted.
If it’s at the cost of a woman/little girl/rape or incest victim/ disabled person who doesn’t want to put their life and body through hell for a baby they don’t want and can’t take care of.. YEP. Every. Time. The choice is the landlord’s, not the tenant, nor the neighbour’s. 🤘🏽 https://t.co/rF1RSu9DCK— Jameela Jamil 🌈 (@jameelajamil) December 9, 2019
The sentiment sparked equal parts confusion and outrage, leaving many to wonder precisely why the actress thought the two issues should even be compared.
“Surprised to hear from @jameelajamil that landlords turfing their helpless tenants out onto the streets is woke now but if she says so,” Twitter user @BDXismith wrote in response to the post.
One dubbed it the “worst analogy,” while another said that they could not “fucking believe that this bullshit is real.”
worst analogy. incredible pic.twitter.com/Jc1QoSnxem— flglmn (@flglmn) December 10, 2019
i cannot fucking believe that this bullshit is real. fucking stop. stop it. STOP. pic.twitter.com/RGjw6sSQTT— ghost wife (@eponawest) December 10, 2019
I Am Being Tested pic.twitter.com/mvZTJIXjWn— saudi aviation student (@IdahoBones) December 10, 2019
Another wrote that Jamil’s post exemplifies why they “don’t trust rich feminists.”
jameela jamil bragging about being a multi millionaire and comparing her reproductive rights to "landlord rights" in one fell swoop is astonishing.— Vote Labia 2019 (@sibylpain) December 10, 2019
this is why I don't trust rich feminists.
absolutely no self awareness and no desire to get any
“Imagine comparing being pro choice to a landlord evicting a tenant, not realizing how bad this looks,” Twitter user @hasanthehun wrote.
imagine comparing being pro choice to a landlord evicting a tenant, not realizing how bad this looks. pic.twitter.com/tMYUV5zqy3— hasanabi (@hasanthehun) December 10, 2019
Jamil recently clapped back at those who criticized her decision to have an abortion years ago. She pointed to her success and wealth as proof that she made the right choice.
“Receiving THOUSANDS of messages about how I made a mistake having an abortion 7 years ago and how I must be a miserable person… I am in fact a happy, thriving multi millionaire, madly in love, with free time, good sleep and a wonderful career and life. But thanks for checking,” she tweeted on Friday.
Receiving THOUSANDS of messages about how I made a mistake having an abortion 7 years ago and how I must be a miserable person... I am in fact a happy, thriving multi millionaire, madly in love, with free time, good sleep and a wonderful career and life. But thanks for checking💋 pic.twitter.com/F0QqQVv1tQ— Jameela Jamil 🌈 (@jameelajamil) December 6, 2019
Jamil, who is best known for her role as Tahani Al-Jamil in NBC’s The Good Place, first opened up about her abortion in May when Georgia passed the “fetal heartbeat” abortion law. The state joined eight others–Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, and Utah–that passed restrictive laws in 2019 to make it harder for women to get abortions.
This anti-abortion law in Georgia is so upsetting, inhumane, and blatantly demonstrative of a hatred of women, a disregard for our rights, bodies, mental health, and essentially a punishment for rape victims, forcing to carry the baby of their rapist. https://t.co/WROYaLAwPG— Jameela Jamil 🌈 (@jameelajamil) May 13, 2019
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.