- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges 1 Week Ago
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Today 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Today 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Today 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Today 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Today 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Today 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Today 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Today 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Today 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games Today 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Today 12:20 PM
- Reddit mods restore Tiananmen Square image after censorship claims Today 12:18 PM
- Billie Eilish parody takes dad jokes to a whole new level Today 11:52 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Ravens in NFL preseason action Today 11:26 AM
EXCLUSIVE: Harry Styles Has Officially Signed On To Play Prince Eric in ‘The Little Mermaid’ https://t.co/eBiBwjNoCs— The DisInsider (@TheDisInsider) August 13, 2019
The Wrap–a verified account–is also claiming, exclusively, that Styles turned down the role.
That didn’t stop several publications from picking up the claim as fact. It also didn’t stop Twitter from going wild–leading the hashtags #PrinceEric and #HarryStyles to trend.
“Harry Styles is officially Prince Eric and I can’t think of a way to stop Disney from taking my money,” one user tweeted.
harry styles as prince eric and halle bailey as ariel. I can see it now. This movie is gonna be powerful pic.twitter.com/Nfo3J2AHy8— sheila (@winterdaylov) August 13, 2019
It makes sense that people were so quick to run with the announcement, as Styles was said to be in talks with Disney to take up the role in July.
And ever since the announcement that Halle Bailey would be starring as Ariel in the remake, the internet has been abuzz with speculation about who would snag the role of her Prince. Style’s name was thrown in the hat by fans early in the game, but there were many other suggestions as well.
“How about Alex Landi for Prince Eric,” one user wrote.
So, as it turns out, there may be some hope for those Styles detractors after all.
- Terry Crews wants to be cast as King Triton in ‘The Little Mermaid’ live-action remake
- Fans create Halle Bailey ‘Little Mermaid’ artwork for new live-action film
- This white girl got dragged for her racist ‘Little Mermaid’ tweet
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.