- Is that Rosa Parks in random Twitter user’s baby photo? Tuesday 8:24 PM
- Syracuse students say white supremacist manifesto was AirDropped to them Tuesday 7:44 PM
- Florida woman gets prison time for throwing slushie at Matt Gaetz Tuesday 6:28 PM
- Marie Kondo’s online store slammed for selling clutter-worthy products Tuesday 5:34 PM
- People are rallying against toxic masculinity on International Men’s Day Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Reddit wants to stop its pro-Trump forum from outing the alleged whistleblower Tuesday 3:38 PM
- White woman calls cops on man who said he was visiting aunt with his kids Tuesday 3:12 PM
- ‘The Stranded’ is a flawed yet addictive blend of ‘Degrassi’ and ‘Lost’ Tuesday 2:45 PM
- The ‘gonna tell my kids’ meme is revisionist history at its most absurd Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Redditor asks former burglars to give home security tips Tuesday 2:18 PM
- Facebook-Breitbart partnership under fire in wake of new Stephen Miller emails Tuesday 2:00 PM
- John Krasinski under fire after praising the CIA Tuesday 1:46 PM
- Conservatives melt down after Chick-fil-A says it will stop donating to anti-LGBTQ orgs Tuesday 1:33 PM
- ‘Honey Boy’ is an experimental look at channeling trauma Tuesday 1:28 PM
- Disney+ now allows users to resume and restart content Tuesday 11:42 AM
EXCLUSIVE: Harry Styles Has Officially Signed On To Play Prince Eric in ‘The Little Mermaid’ https://t.co/eBiBwjNoCs— The DisInsider (@TheDisInsider) August 13, 2019
The Wrap–a verified account–is also claiming, exclusively, that Styles turned down the role.
That didn’t stop several publications from picking up the claim as fact. It also didn’t stop Twitter from going wild–leading the hashtags #PrinceEric and #HarryStyles to trend.
“Harry Styles is officially Prince Eric and I can’t think of a way to stop Disney from taking my money,” one user tweeted.
harry styles as prince eric and halle bailey as ariel. I can see it now. This movie is gonna be powerful pic.twitter.com/Nfo3J2AHy8— sheila (@winterdaylov) August 13, 2019
It makes sense that people were so quick to run with the announcement, as Styles was said to be in talks with Disney to take up the role in July.
And ever since the announcement that Halle Bailey would be starring as Ariel in the remake, the internet has been abuzz with speculation about who would snag the role of her Prince. Style’s name was thrown in the hat by fans early in the game, but there were many other suggestions as well.
“How about Alex Landi for Prince Eric,” one user wrote.
So, as it turns out, there may be some hope for those Styles detractors after all.
- Terry Crews wants to be cast as King Triton in ‘The Little Mermaid’ live-action remake
- Fans create Halle Bailey ‘Little Mermaid’ artwork for new live-action film
- This white girl got dragged for her racist ‘Little Mermaid’ tweet
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.