- People are sharing how serving in the military has ruined their lives with #WhyIServe Sunday 5:31 PM
- Gillette ad showing a dad teaching his trans son how to shave has the internet in tears Sunday 4:34 PM
- 4chan’s new troll campaign aims to make the hashtag a white supremacist symbol Sunday 2:49 PM
- Here’s what that ‘cliff wife’ meme is all about Sunday 12:58 PM
- Artist suspended from Facebook, Instagram after posting anti-MAGA artwork Sunday 12:04 PM
- How to watch Serie A online for free Sunday 7:30 AM
- What does ‘uwu’ mean? Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
Trump surrogate gets dunked on for sipping a $25 ‘gin and tonic’ with a straw
Fiscal conservatism, on paper anyway, tends to adhere to minimal government spending, low taxes, and generally just walking a very fine tightrope between revenue and spending, which is why it’s extra confusing (and funny) when a Trump surrogate pays $25 for a gin and tonic. Harlan Hill, an advisory board member for the 2020 Trump campaign and Fox News political commentator not only paid a ludicrous amount for the basic beverage but also complained about the attendant biodegradable straw.
When Hill posted his gripes to Twitter, the denizens of social media couldn’t help but dunk on the conservative figure.
“Enjoying a $25 gin and tonic at the Four Seasons,” Hill tweeted Thursday night. “Too bad my PAPER straw is melting. Liberalism is a disease.”
First came the obvious question: Who in their right mind would pay $25 for one of the world’s most basic cocktails? A gin and tonic might top out at $16 at a fancy bar in a major city like San Franciscso—pricey for sure, but a far cry from Hill’s $25 version.
[paying $25 for a cocktail with two ingredients] let me tell you why Liberals are stupid pic.twitter.com/SmK2j1EHR5
— Jason O. Gilbert (@gilbertjasono) December 7, 2018
Liberalism is an ideology, alcoholism is a disease. Also,
1) wrong glass for a G&T
2) don't drink G&T through a straw
3) Paying $25 for a G&T and thinking it's the straw that sucks is on a par with paying with your soul to make Trump POTUS and thinking he doesn't suck.
— James Morrison (@JamesPMorrison) December 7, 2018
Paying that much for a gin and tonic proves you’re not a good conservative
— Mitchell Fink (@themitchellfink) December 7, 2018
This tweet oughta play well with your base in Appalachia who count loose change to pay for their insulin.
— fellowgirlnamedgrace (@gracieminabox) December 7, 2018
Then there were the folks who called out Hill for the strange state of his “gin and tonic,” noting the white foam and tall glass uncharacteristic for such a drink.
1. Who the hell drinks a gin and tonic with a straw? 2. Gin and tonics are clear. Your straw is black. The amount of white residue in that glass makes me think it’s a pina colada. Stop trying to make yourself sound cooler than you are.
— Dana Goldberg (@DGComedy) December 7, 2018
If non-plastic straws get you as frothy as that $25 gin and tonic* maybe you should try drinking from the glass.
*thats definitely not a gin and tonic
— Salena (@Salencita) December 7, 2018
Why is there white foam (?) in your overpriced gin and tonic? https://t.co/NvCxuIK0k9
— southpaw (@nycsouthpaw) December 7, 2018
Of course, it wouldn’t be a Twitter roast without at least one comparison to a cartoon.
Harlan Hill, the original form of Master Billy Quizboy pic.twitter.com/td9ysUmId6
— Antoine Linguine (@aklingus) December 7, 2018
It seems Hill isn’t the only conservative ordering questionable drinks and then complaining about the available straw options. Amber Athey, a media and breaking news editor for the Daily Caller, also appears to have been at the same hotel and ordered a “gin drink,” only to receive the same mysteriously foamy beverage. She also tweeted the same joke as Hill, at around the same time.
Spent half of my rent money on this gin drink at the Four Seasons only for this sickening paper straw to dissolve in my mouth lmao. Liberalism is a joke. pic.twitter.com/2k6EGRGedN
— Amber Athey (@amber_athey) December 7, 2018
What’s wrong with the GOP “elite” that they think drinking cocktails through a straw in public is a “thing?” Don’t blame liberals for your lack of social skills. Stick to Applebee’s – that’s your wheelhouse.
— Kristen S. (@KristenInVA) December 7, 2018
All the haranguing must have gotten to him; Hill deleted the tweet on Saturday.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.