- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
“I wanna retire from touring. I wanna do a hologram tour,” Grimes recently told Flaunt.
Hologram tours are usually reserved for artists who no longer can perform live–often because they are dead. Notably, a hologram of Tupac Shakur performed at Coachella, alongside real-life Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre, in 2012. A hologram of Michael Jackson also performed at the 2014 Billboard Music Awards.
So this is understandably confusing, as Grimes is very much alive.
“She not dead yet tho?” one Twitter user questioned.
She not dead yet tho?— Danny (@Danny99Campbell) April 26, 2019
Others just found the idea ridiculous.
eyes rolling into OBLIVION https://t.co/9xThnieVyo— mark tim (@maaarktim) April 26, 2019
no one:— ☆ (@REALiTiGENESiS) April 27, 2019
not a single soul:
grimes: i want to go on a hologram tour
Grimes doing a tour as a hologram is the most “Grimes” thing imaginable— Brendan Rooney (@Hiim_brendan) April 27, 2019
Of course, Twitter had plenty of jokes about the whole thing.
grimes’ hologram when she starts performing art angels pic.twitter.com/q9gHJnkEPl— be humble remy! (@Iocalharlot) April 27, 2019
An Elon Musk-funded, K-pop-styled Grimes hologram tour, presented by The Boring Company, promoting a record that *might* come out in 2019, coming to an arena near you in 2021 (it takes a while to code these things).— Noah Love (@noahlove) April 26, 2019
If Grimes wants to do hologram tours she better expect hologram money tf— natalieisfreezing (@pillarofgarbage) April 27, 2019
if grimes can do a hologram tour i'd like to go to work as a hologram— thicc thor (@zag_loz) April 27, 2019
ms grimes... no one is gonna pay for ur hologram tour unless ur dead or hatsune miku— nines saw NCT 127! (@wayvisi0n) April 27, 2019
I would also like to show up to work as a hologram.— anita (@theanaXO) April 27, 2019
Grimes says she wants to do a tour as a hologram https://t.co/7x1NUyOiuL
Grimes alluded to stage fright as the reason for wanting to do a hologram tour.
“Why do we keep doing them for dead artists instead of living ones who have stage fright?” she asked.
Grimes then opened up about her stage fright, and what it feels like.
“It’s nightmarish. Apocalyptic. Terrifying, horrible. I can’t hear clapping or cheers–I just hear an echo chamber of death. I black out,” Grimes said. “I’m not a good performer,” she said. “I’m a director who accidentally fell into this position, and now it’s too late to change.”
Some Twitter users were surprisingly interested in the idea; some identified with her stage fright, too.
I wouldn’t even be mad if grimes did a hologram tour. I’d bop regardless. pic.twitter.com/WkUaeiESpa— y͙u͙n͙g͙ b͙r͙a͙n͙d͙e͙n͙ (@randellshea715) April 27, 2019
i've stanned Grimes since before Art Angels and if she does a hologram tour guess where my ass is gonna be pic.twitter.com/TB3nHx6TkQ— krysta (@tyraynnosaurus) April 27, 2019
we stan hologram grimes https://t.co/Q2KA1u2FhP— carter fife (@carterfife) April 27, 2019
People are clowning Grimes but she makes a good point, holograms could open the door for artists with anxiety and a whole range of mental health problems. Not every great musician is a born performer is always fit to perform.— Louis (@Danniwah) April 27, 2019
grimes talking about doing a hologram tour to avoid stage fright is something i can relate to— alicia-deanna👽 (@slowlyicoulddie) April 27, 2019
u go girl
Grimes’ desire to do a hologram tour should come as no surprise—she’s previously discussed her interest in science and technology. After all, her and Elon Musk’s relationship infamously began after a joke about artificial intelligence.
- Grimes and Elon Musk inspired a lot of good memes this week
- Grimes is still tweeting and deleting stuff about boyfriend Elon Musk
- Azealia Banks reveals more apparent messages between her and Grimes
Eilish O’Sullivan is the news wire editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.