- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
Gillian Anderson on Thursday turned heads when the X-Files star tweeted about her, um, personal massager. “What’s more to say?” the 49-year-old Chicago-born star wrote, next to an eggplant emoji. But she’s not just being openly sex-positive, the tweet was also a smartly calculated tie-in to a recent episode of the rebooted sci-fi series.
As Twitchy points out, the vibrator appears to be a “Mimi,” from U.K. manufacturer Je Joue sex toys; the Mimi is billed as quiet, discreet, rechargeable, waterproof, and boasts five speeds. It comes in four colors and retails for $89.
Fans on Twitter were shocked and delighted by Anderson’s candor.
Gillian Anderson coming out of nowhere to snatch the "Horny on Main" title in 2018.— Elite Bear Agents (@Bearpigman) March 1, 2018
That was the best sentence I've ever typed in my entire life https://t.co/mFBEGZHD6f
looks like scully had to find a new friend 😏 pic.twitter.com/NuGSdIqNr1— hollie (@mybIoodlines) March 1, 2018
Mulder’s jealous— karen (@thedanaeffect) March 1, 2018
While we don’t doubt Anderson’s love for the product, the tweet also doubles as buzz for her rebooted X-Files run. This week’s episode, “Rm9sbG93ZXJz,” featured a robot maid finding Scully’s vibrator under the bed. The plot point took some finessing to clear with the network, as episode writer Kristen Cloke tells SyFy Wire:
When we were in preproduction and were working on props, we had certain vibrators that were “cleared.” Prime-time vibrators, I guess! And we do call it the “personal massager” in the script. High-level stuff. But that was motivated by an article that said something about the fact that the personal massagers at, I think it was Brookstone, were collecting your personal data. So all the technology talks to each other, and it is all technology that has been reported, at one time or another, to be collecting your personal data. It all knows about you.
Anderson’s horniness, thus, serves as a valuable reminder that all of our technology is privy to our most intimate habits.
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.