- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter 7 Years Ago
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers 7 Years Ago
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool 7 Years Ago
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Today 12:55 PM
- A GoFundMe for Eric Garner’s killer has raised more than $70,000 Today 12:49 PM
- YouTuber finds GoPro footage of man who drowned in 2017 Today 12:20 PM
- Netflix’s ’45 rpm’ is as tired as the boomer rock era it tries to honor Today 11:38 AM
- Teen arrested for threatening to ‘slaughter’ abortion clinic on iFunny Today 11:29 AM
- How to stream the LA Galaxy vs. Cruz Azul Leagues Cup semifinal match Today 11:10 AM
- Going broke over the App Store? Here’s how to turn off in-app purchases Today 10:49 AM
- Jill Biden says even if you don’t like Joe Biden, you need to vote for Joe Biden Today 10:43 AM
- Report on ideal thermostat temperature brings out the dad jokes Today 10:28 AM
- Edited videos of Portland protests are telling half-truths Today 10:20 AM
- Netflix debuts upcoming releases section on the Netflix TV app Today 9:29 AM
- Marianne Williams announces plan for a Department of Peace Today 8:53 AM
The Morning GIF: Bane from “The Dark Knight Rises”
DeviantArt artist Clay Rodery provides a forlorn look at The Dark Knight Rises villain.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
The Dark Knight. The dark night. Bane. In the rain.
We can’t help it; Batman just brings out the poetry in us.
Even the most casual surf around the Daily Dot reveals we are unambiguous in our love for the world’s most existentially tortured hero—a mortal man, an orphan, condemned to a lifetime of fighting crime in penance for his childhood failure to save his parents from the deadly gun of a goon. We do practice our Batman voices daily (and not just to prepare for auditions). We have featured Batman time and again, and at least twice in the Morning GIF.
Now, in the interests of affirmative action and equal time, we are featuring a Batman villain: Bane, the prison-raised amoral monster. He, along with Selina Kyle (Catwoman) provide the existentially tortured antagonists to Bat’s existentially tortured protagonist in The Dark Knight Rises, which seems to have been “coming soon” forever.
A good, layered villain like Bane has often been the inspiration for artists, and this GIF of Bane standing, forlorn and alone, in the pouring rain is a great example. As a still image it wouldn’t be nearly as bleak. But Bane is immobile; the only movement comes from the implacable elements, at whose mercy we all live. The rain was probably pouring on Batman at the same moment, somewhere else in Gotham City. Before the elements, we are all equals—all equally helpless.
DeviantArt artist Clay Rodery has a fine gallery including The Hunger Games and political art, and two Dark Knight Rises GIFs: this one and one of Selina Kyle driving her Catcycle across a bridge. Together they’ve been posted to Tumblr by Amy Yes, where they’ve gotten 1832 well-deserved notes.
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.