- Guy who wants to fund the border wall has privately raised $7 million Thursday 8:41 PM
- Mortal Kombat 11 trailer delights fans with gory fatalities, new characters Thursday 5:46 PM
- What you need to know about the data breach involving 773 email addresses Thursday 5:13 PM
- Senators fear government shutdown may affect FTC investigation of Facebook Thursday 3:43 PM
- Buy beer for a furloughed government worker with this new website Thursday 3:19 PM
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is teaching Congress how to tweet Thursday 2:42 PM
- Congressmen held genetics meeting with Chuck Johnson, despite his past racist claims about genetics Thursday 2:26 PM
- Female bodyguard thriller ‘Close’ is disappointingly un-thrilling Thursday 2:01 PM
- Twitter faces backlash for insensitive ‘triggers’ joke Thursday 1:13 PM
- 10 user-recommended sites for live tarot readings that are almost too good to be true Thursday 12:08 PM
- AsapSCIENCE comes for Jake Paul over Mystery Brand scam Thursday 11:34 AM
- Why ‘I never thought of it like that’ can actually be deeply offensive Thursday 11:26 AM
- Save 40% on the Fire TV Stick 4K when you rent textbooks through Amazon Thursday 11:05 AM
- Netflix reportedly used real disaster footage in ‘Bird Box’ Thursday 10:53 AM
- Holocaust denier Chuck Johnson spotted with 2 congressmen in Capitol Thursday 10:30 AM
DeviantArt artist Clay Rodery provides a forlorn look at The Dark Knight Rises villain.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
The Dark Knight. The dark night. Bane. In the rain.
We can’t help it; Batman just brings out the poetry in us.
Even the most casual surf around the Daily Dot reveals we are unambiguous in our love for the world’s most existentially tortured hero—a mortal man, an orphan, condemned to a lifetime of fighting crime in penance for his childhood failure to save his parents from the deadly gun of a goon. We do practice our Batman voices daily (and not just to prepare for auditions). We have featured Batman time and again, and at least twice in the Morning GIF.
Now, in the interests of affirmative action and equal time, we are featuring a Batman villain: Bane, the prison-raised amoral monster. He, along with Selina Kyle (Catwoman) provide the existentially tortured antagonists to Bat’s existentially tortured protagonist in The Dark Knight Rises, which seems to have been “coming soon” forever.
A good, layered villain like Bane has often been the inspiration for artists, and this GIF of Bane standing, forlorn and alone, in the pouring rain is a great example. As a still image it wouldn’t be nearly as bleak. But Bane is immobile; the only movement comes from the implacable elements, at whose mercy we all live. The rain was probably pouring on Batman at the same moment, somewhere else in Gotham City. Before the elements, we are all equals—all equally helpless.
DeviantArt artist Clay Rodery has a fine gallery including The Hunger Games and political art, and two Dark Knight Rises GIFs: this one and one of Selina Kyle driving her Catcycle across a bridge. Together they’ve been posted to Tumblr by Amy Yes, where they’ve gotten 1832 well-deserved notes.
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.