- Sri Lankan government shuts down social media in wake of deadly blasts Sunday 7:56 PM
- Amazon Flex drivers now must use selfies to verify identity Sunday 6:34 PM
- #GentrifyingGeorge thinks 152-year-old HBCU should ‘just move’ Sunday 5:27 PM
- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online (updated) Sunday 3:32 PM
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Sunday 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Sunday 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Sunday 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
DeviantArt artist Clay Rodery provides a forlorn look at The Dark Knight Rises villain.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
The Dark Knight. The dark night. Bane. In the rain.
We can’t help it; Batman just brings out the poetry in us.
Even the most casual surf around the Daily Dot reveals we are unambiguous in our love for the world’s most existentially tortured hero—a mortal man, an orphan, condemned to a lifetime of fighting crime in penance for his childhood failure to save his parents from the deadly gun of a goon. We do practice our Batman voices daily (and not just to prepare for auditions). We have featured Batman time and again, and at least twice in the Morning GIF.
Now, in the interests of affirmative action and equal time, we are featuring a Batman villain: Bane, the prison-raised amoral monster. He, along with Selina Kyle (Catwoman) provide the existentially tortured antagonists to Bat’s existentially tortured protagonist in The Dark Knight Rises, which seems to have been “coming soon” forever.
A good, layered villain like Bane has often been the inspiration for artists, and this GIF of Bane standing, forlorn and alone, in the pouring rain is a great example. As a still image it wouldn’t be nearly as bleak. But Bane is immobile; the only movement comes from the implacable elements, at whose mercy we all live. The rain was probably pouring on Batman at the same moment, somewhere else in Gotham City. Before the elements, we are all equals—all equally helpless.
DeviantArt artist Clay Rodery has a fine gallery including The Hunger Games and political art, and two Dark Knight Rises GIFs: this one and one of Selina Kyle driving her Catcycle across a bridge. Together they’ve been posted to Tumblr by Amy Yes, where they’ve gotten 1832 well-deserved notes.
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.