- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football 1 Year Ago
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Friday 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Friday 1:04 PM
Eminem‘s Friday surprise is a new album called Kamikaze, on which he reveals his disdain for President Donald Trump is still intact and the Secret Service has checked in. But another line from the album drew mixed reactions online.
On the track “Fall,” which curiously features Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon, Eminem goes after Tyler the Creator with a homophobic slur. This isn’t the first time Eminem has used the slur in his songs; Tyler has also used it in his, though his relationship with the word is a little more complicated.
“I see why you called yourself a faggot, bitch. It’s not just ’cause you lack attention. It’s ’cause you worship D-12’s balls, you’re sacrilegious,” he raps.
Still, many people called Em out for still using it.
Can't even say I'm surprised that Eminem is still using homophobic slurs in 2018 bc he's a fucking child but Justin Vernon, what the hell are you doing on the track man. pic.twitter.com/z2ySJBNF85— Roisin O'Connor (@Roisin_OConnor) August 31, 2018
unfriendly reminder that tyler, the creator is banned from the UK for using the word "fxggot" on his first two albums, then he came out on 'flower boy' and eminem pointed that slur at him in a song released today but eminem will not be banned from the UK— grace “girlfriend of noah” centineo (@oneofthosefaces) August 31, 2018
Eminem calls Tyler the Creator a ‘faggot’ on new album and here’s why he’s about to defend this usage AGAIN even after being dragged in 2013 pic.twitter.com/Z6b40adu36— Zach Stafford (@ZachStafford) August 31, 2018
We just gonna act like Eminem didn’t just passively call Tyler, The Creator a f*ggot tho? pic.twitter.com/LP7lmpvhm5— [redacted] (@cloutpipe) August 31, 2018
Others were squarely in the “So what?” camp.
I love @tylerthecreator but some of y'all are overreacting to the @Eminem diss. Do you guys seriously think Tyler gives a fuck if someone calls him a faggot? He used the word over 200 times in Goblin. I doubt Tyler would take offense to this.— Pete G. (@_Pete_G) August 31, 2018
Tyler the creator literally calls himself a faggot, and eminem bleeped out the word. lol its not that serious.— CG|Wiggles (@Wiggles_FGC) August 31, 2018
Tyler has not yet responded to the diss, which might stem from his 2014 diss of Eminem’s Shady XV, but he’s not the only rapper Eminem goes after on Kamikaze. Lil Pump, Lil Xan, Joe Budden, Lil Yachty, Drake, and Machine Gun Kelly also get hooked.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.