- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Friday 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Friday 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Friday 7:56 AM
According to Deadline, Hulu has ordered The Dropout from Fox Searchlight’s TV division, executive produced by McKinnon. The series is reportedly based on the ABC podcast of the same name, which explored Holmes’ founding of Theranos, a Silicon Valley company that boasted a personalized blood-testing technology that turned out to be bogus. Still, the company was valued at $9 billion at one point. Holmes was indicted on multiple fraud charges in 2018 and is awaiting trial.
In the meantime, the Hulu series joins a growing cottage industry of Holmesamania: Alex Gibney’s recent HBO doc The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley and an upcoming adaptation of John Carreyrou’s book Bad Blood directed by Adam McKay and starring Jennifer Lawrence as Holmes.
With McKinnon at the wheel for the Hulu series, it will be interesting to see how she plays Holmes, who has already been impersonated and memed online. You could certainly see McKinnon doing the perfect dead-eyed, deep-throated impression of her on SNL, but The Dropout is said to be a drama.
- ‘The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley’ tries to get a read on Elizabeth Holmes
- Elizabeth Holmes’ deep voice captivates and confuses the internet
- Former Silicon Valley darling Theranos and its CEO charged with ‘massive fraud’
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.