- ‘Game of Thrones’ meme claims King’s Landing is an ‘inside job’ 1 Month Ago
- Report: Personal data of 49 million Instagram influencers exposed online Today 4:57 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 trailer teases a wet, hot American summer Today 4:02 PM
- What Daenerys’ biggest ‘Game of Thrones’ scenes have in common with Nazi propaganda Today 3:12 PM
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June Today 2:11 PM
- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Today 2:04 PM
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 1:29 PM
- The surprising religious subtext of ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Today 12:53 PM
- Robin Arryn got hot—and the internet is seriously shook Today 12:40 PM
- Tana Mongeau is going to VidCon a year after TanaCon disaster Today 12:12 PM
- What have 2020 Democrats said about Alabama’s abortion ban? Today 11:36 AM
- People keep throwing milkshakes at the U.K.’s far-right politicians Today 11:10 AM
- James Charles is rebounding from his YouTube scandal—and his mentor is paying the price Today 10:42 AM
- Conservatives accuse Pete Buttigieg of wanting to tear down Jefferson Memorial Today 10:28 AM
- Graduating Moorehouse students thank billionaire for vowing to pay off $40m in student debt Today 10:22 AM
According to Deadline, Hulu has ordered The Dropout from Fox Searchlight’s TV division, executive produced by McKinnon. The series is reportedly based on the ABC podcast of the same name, which explored Holmes’ founding of Theranos, a Silicon Valley company that boasted a personalized blood-testing technology that turned out to be bogus. Still, the company was valued at $9 billion at one point. Holmes was indicted on multiple fraud charges in 2018 and is awaiting trial.
In the meantime, the Hulu series joins a growing cottage industry of Holmesamania: Alex Gibney’s recent HBO doc The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley and an upcoming adaptation of John Carreyrou’s book Bad Blood directed by Adam McKay and starring Jennifer Lawrence as Holmes.
With McKinnon at the wheel for the Hulu series, it will be interesting to see how she plays Holmes, who has already been impersonated and memed online. You could certainly see McKinnon doing the perfect dead-eyed, deep-throated impression of her on SNL, but The Dropout is said to be a drama.
- ‘The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley’ tries to get a read on Elizabeth Holmes
- Elizabeth Holmes’ deep voice captivates and confuses the internet
- Former Silicon Valley darling Theranos and its CEO charged with ‘massive fraud’
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.