- ‘Battlestar Galactica’ is getting a reboot from the creator of ‘Mr. Robot’ 5 Months Ago
- Sean Spicer is already alleging judges are out to get him on DWTS Today 8:52 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Jupiter’s Legacy’ loses showrunner halfway through filming Today 7:36 AM
- ‘Disenchantment’ season 2 starts strong but falls into familiar trappings Today 7:00 AM
- Are Ben Shapiro fans organizing against his opponents on Twitter? Today 6:30 AM
- iPhone overloaded? Here’s how to cancel app subscriptions Monday 11:02 PM
- Fan-created ‘app’ lets users experience the final moments of the ill-fated Jeremy Renner app Monday 10:00 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos receives lifetime ban from furry convention Monday 7:49 PM
- Snapchat just made all political ads purchased publicly available Monday 6:12 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Borussia Dortmund in Champions League action Monday 5:39 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Napoli in Champions League action Monday 5:19 PM
- How to make real money with Amazon’s Mechanical Turk Monday 5:03 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Valencia in the Champions League Monday 4:47 PM
- ‘SNL’ fires Shane Gillis for racist, homophobic comments Monday 4:41 PM
- Ben Shapiro wants accusers to describe Brett Kavanaugh’s penis Monday 4:30 PM
According to Deadline, Hulu has ordered The Dropout from Fox Searchlight’s TV division, executive produced by McKinnon. The series is reportedly based on the ABC podcast of the same name, which explored Holmes’ founding of Theranos, a Silicon Valley company that boasted a personalized blood-testing technology that turned out to be bogus. Still, the company was valued at $9 billion at one point. Holmes was indicted on multiple fraud charges in 2018 and is awaiting trial.
In the meantime, the Hulu series joins a growing cottage industry of Holmesamania: Alex Gibney’s recent HBO doc The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley and an upcoming adaptation of John Carreyrou’s book Bad Blood directed by Adam McKay and starring Jennifer Lawrence as Holmes.
With McKinnon at the wheel for the Hulu series, it will be interesting to see how she plays Holmes, who has already been impersonated and memed online. You could certainly see McKinnon doing the perfect dead-eyed, deep-throated impression of her on SNL, but The Dropout is said to be a drama.
- ‘The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley’ tries to get a read on Elizabeth Holmes
- Elizabeth Holmes’ deep voice captivates and confuses the internet
- Former Silicon Valley darling Theranos and its CEO charged with ‘massive fraud’
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.