- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
According to Deadline, Hulu has ordered The Dropout from Fox Searchlight’s TV division, executive produced by McKinnon. The series is reportedly based on the ABC podcast of the same name, which explored Holmes’ founding of Theranos, a Silicon Valley company that boasted a personalized blood-testing technology that turned out to be bogus. Still, the company was valued at $9 billion at one point. Holmes was indicted on multiple fraud charges in 2018 and is awaiting trial.
In the meantime, the Hulu series joins a growing cottage industry of Holmesamania: Alex Gibney’s recent HBO doc The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley and an upcoming adaptation of John Carreyrou’s book Bad Blood directed by Adam McKay and starring Jennifer Lawrence as Holmes.
With McKinnon at the wheel for the Hulu series, it will be interesting to see how she plays Holmes, who has already been impersonated and memed online. You could certainly see McKinnon doing the perfect dead-eyed, deep-throated impression of her on SNL, but The Dropout is said to be a drama.
- ‘The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley’ tries to get a read on Elizabeth Holmes
- Elizabeth Holmes’ deep voice captivates and confuses the internet
- Former Silicon Valley darling Theranos and its CEO charged with ‘massive fraud’
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.