- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Thursday 4:12 PM
- Clearview clients include ICE, Macy’s, Best Buy, leaked data reveals Thursday 4:08 PM
- Women are clamoring to get their photos on a Twitter feed of ‘hot mugshots’ Thursday 4:06 PM
- ‘Love Is Blind’ finale: Somehow, real love emerged from this dystopian setting Thursday 3:57 PM
- Creator of ‘Say So’ TikTok dance appears in Doja Cat music video Thursday 3:51 PM
- Is TikTok’s algorithm actually pretty racist? Thursday 3:45 PM
- Fans freaking out over ‘Say My Name’ horror remix featured in Jordan Peele’s ‘Candyman’ Thursday 3:33 PM
- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures Thursday 1:31 PM
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women Thursday 1:24 PM
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Thursday 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Thursday 11:06 AM
Demi Lovato posted honest, unfiltered photos of her body to her Instagram story on Thursday, reminding us that she’s a real person who loves herself despite her flaws.
Lovato, 25, shared the photos along with a message of self-love, which has been a tumultuous journey for the former Disney star. She’s been forthcoming over the years about her battles with depression, self-harm, addiction, and eating disorders—all issues she discusses in her 2017 YouTube documentary, Cosmopolitan reported.
But her story on Thursday included playful body positive photos. In the first, she points out her stretch marks and “extra fat.”
In another, she posted a photo of her backside with an arrow pointing to her cellulite.
A third photo shows her thighs—and lack of thigh gap.
“And yet I still love myself,” Lovato wrote in the caption.
She wrote a longer message on her story, explaining that “what you see on Instagram isn’t always what it seems to be.”
“Let’s embrace our real selves,” she added.
Earlier this week, Lovato made headlines after singer Kehlani surprised her with an onstage kiss during the Tell Me You Love Me tour. Both women have been open about their sexualities, with Lovato saying she’s “very fluid” and Kehlani identifying as queer.
Their spontaneous lip-locking moment became the kiss seen ’round the world—for obvious reasons.
“It wasn’t planned,” Lovato told People. “She totally surprised me and it was perfect. It was awesome.”
A post shared by Sarah ツ (@demilovatopicz2.0) on
Altogether, it seems like Lovato’s journey to self-love is on an upswing. It’s refreshing to see a celebrity be honest and authentic about her body and herself—and we’re totally here for it.
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.