- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in August 2019 Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ creators drop out of Comic-Con at last minute Today 6:38 AM
- Inside Britt McHenry’s war on women Today 6:30 AM
- The glorious highs and unexpected quirks of 4K streaming Today 6:00 AM
- Southwest Airlines passengers receive free Nintendo Switch consoles and Mario Maker 2 Wednesday 9:10 PM
- The Deplorable Choir drops diss track aimed at 4 congresswomen from Trump’s racist tweets Wednesday 8:09 PM
- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
Conor McGregor calls Putin ‘one of the greatest leaders of our time’ on Instagram
Conor McGregor, the champion MMA fighter and bus destroyer, attended the World Cup final on Sunday. McGregor was the guest of Russian President Vladimir Putin, and while we’re all for being respectful to a gracious host, McGregor might want to go a little easy on the accolades.
McGregor posed for a photo with the smiling Putin and posted it to his Instagram account. In the photo description, McGregor explained how honored he was to attend the match between France and Croatia and to sit next to “one of the greatest leaders of our time.”
Today I was invited to the World Cup final as a guest of Russian President Vladimir Putin. This man is one of the greatest leaders of our time and I was honored to attend such a landmark event alongside him. Today was an honor for me Mr. Putin. Thank you and congratulations on an amazing World Cup. Россия вперёд!
A post shared by Conor McGregor Official (@thenotoriousmma) on
McGregor wrote the following caption, then added “Россия вперёд!” which translates to “go Russia!”
Today I was invited to the World Cup final as a guest of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
This man is one of the greatest leaders of our time and I was honored to attend such a landmark event alongside him.
Today was an honor for me Mr. Putin. Thank you and congratulations on an amazing World Cup.
Even McGregor’s steadfast supporters took issue with calling Putin a great leader, writing to him on Twitter that “fear and murder” shouldn’t really be on a leader’s resume.
You may be my favorite fighter of all time but no,man, Putin is not a great leader. Unless you consider leading by fear and murder is considered great. Then yeah I guess he's great at murder.— Shawn Coss (@ShawnCoss) July 15, 2018
Here’s a quick rundown of the bullet points on Putin’s resume as a world leader, and some of true accomplishments, including allegedly bombing apartment buildings and shooting down planes full of innocent people.
Tom English, chief sports writer for BBC Scotland, summed up the post and McGregor’s fanboy act with one simple word: “puppet.”
Puppet— Tom English (@BBCTomEnglish) July 15, 2018
McGregor has yet to address his critics.
Chris Illuminati is an author and reporter whose work for the Daily Dot focuses on meme culture. His work has been published in Rolling Stone, FanSided, BroBible, Penthouse, and AskMen.