- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck 1 Month Ago
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark 1 Month Ago
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme 1 Month Ago
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Today 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Today 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Today 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Today 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Today 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Today 10:50 AM
- YouTuber renames small town ‘Gay Hell’ to defy Trump Pride policy Today 10:43 AM
- John Cusack blames Twitter bot for anti-Semitic tweet Today 10:18 AM
- YouTube rapper who glorifies pimping has been charged with human trafficking Today 10:09 AM
- Amy Klobuchar lists net neutrality as part of her 100-day plan for presidency Today 8:54 AM
- Reddit just banned the NBA Streams subreddit Today 8:17 AM
- How to watch ‘Drunk History’ for free Today 8:00 AM
YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool
He deleted the video after receiving backlash.
LaBrant tweeted the video on Thursday and deleted it on Friday. It can still be seen on Twitter after others saved it.
In the video, his adopted cousin, whose real name is Truman LaBrant but who is called “Peanut,” can be seen getting on his hands and knees underneath a swing. A girl then uses him as a stool by stepping on his back to get on the swing. Someone can be heard saying, “Oh my goodness, sweet boy” in the video.
“This is my adopted cousin, Peanut, helping girls get off and back on swings. We all need to be more like Peanut,” LaBrant wrote in the tweet.
People were quick to call the YouTuber out for racism, including the daughter of Martin Luther King Jr.
“When many of us see your video, we are reminded of the dehumanization of our ancestors depicted in this photo. This dehumanization of Black people still exists in many forms today,” Bernice King, an activist and the daughter of MLK., wrote on Twitter. “The video you shared isn’t cute to us. It’s not cute for a Black boy to be a stool.”
Others agreed with King.
Why y’all name that baby peanut … pic.twitter.com/5YqMEfqS5X
— princess morebucks (@JoeyGee876) May 17, 2019
Why did they even name him PEANUT … pet name tf
— mf▽ (@fornaro_maya) May 17, 2019
This black king is named ‘peanut’ as if he’s a pet and is taught to service white people like it’s a norm , not on my watch , shit is sick and disgusting. The adoption agency need to be made aware. The owner of this video is @Thesupercole piece of dirt pic.twitter.com/A29hDsmOOs
— m (@rysebe) May 17, 2019
This is one of the reasons why African Americans are uncomfortable with whites adopting black kids. @Thesupercole family said “Peanut” was adopted & is being used here as a footstool for a white girl. How are you that culturally ignorant? Yes, they are evangelicals. #FreePeanut https://t.co/tYHWPzrc05
— Anthony Bradley (@drantbradley) May 18, 2019
Apparently the furniture is Peanut pic.twitter.com/4lxOxZDyoG
— Lania Milling (@MrsMilling1021) May 18, 2019
We need to talk about how this kid’s name is Peanut too. So much about this is so problematic I— pic.twitter.com/1Ec8dXPJBE
— Bry ⭐️ (@c3yric) May 17, 2019
Fuck is you doing Peanut? pic.twitter.com/viLdvw7BH3
— ジェレミア (@dakiddjerry) May 17, 2019
I don’t know if you know any better or not but get that young black man off the floor. That’s not cool. While we at it, change his damn nickname too Peanut isn’t a name we use. pic.twitter.com/XY4ma2PgrB
— Tracee Ellis Sauce (@goodgarmentclub) May 17, 2019
Peanut in the sunken place now pic.twitter.com/SMp28YgB7g
— Obinna (@Victor_oe) May 17, 2019
Bro how they gon name him peanut like he's some pet pic.twitter.com/3kLG7VuQCE
— MELØ BEATS🎧 (@ItsMeloBeats) May 17, 2019
Apart from that infuriating footage, why is he called Peanut? pic.twitter.com/umGZwp61Lj
— Bibi (@hesedgal) May 17, 2019
LaBrant and his family have a YouTube channel with more than 9 million subscribers. This is not their first brush with controversy.
On April 1, LaBrant, along with his wife Savannah told their 6-year-old daughter that they were giving her puppy away as an April Fools Day joke. They were also accused of fake evacuating the California wildfires in 2018.
- YouTubers Cole and Sav accused of dishonesty about wildfire evacuation
- After infidelity and abuse accusations, ProJared said his wife wanted an open marriage
- Tati Westbrook explains why she made her video calling out James Charles
- Lauren Love banned from Walmart after pretending to fire employees in YouTube prank
Eilish O'Sullivan is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism and government at the University of Texas at Austin. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.