- Lawsuit alleges YouTube’s unboxing videos are ‘abusive’ ads aimed at kids Sunday 3:48 PM
- Dr. Dre shades Lori Loughlin with Instagram flex about his daughter getting into USC Sunday 3:13 PM
- University of Georgia frat’s racist Snapchat video draws campus outrage Sunday 1:21 PM
- Facing criticism for eating fish, vegan YouTube star Rawvana speaks out Sunday 10:47 AM
- Arnold Schwarzenegger chases mini-pony in new TikTok video Sunday 9:19 AM
- Review: ‘Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice’ is a cut above the rest Sunday 8:00 AM
- Where do 2020 Democratic candidates stand on healthcare? Sunday 7:30 AM
- How to (legally) stream live TV on Kodi Sunday 7:00 AM
- ‘Delhi Crime’ tackles inequality and women’s rights Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 STP 500 at Martinsville Speedway for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Saturday 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets ‘canceled’ over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Saturday 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Saturday 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Saturday 11:46 AM
From pin to pro, tastemaker Christine Martinez nabs first brand partnership
The fourth most-followed user on Pinterest, Christine Martinez has been hired to do “live-pinning” of a photo shoot for Calypso St. Barth.
It’s no longer novel when brands hire fashion bloggers to shill their goods. But Christine Martinez has become the first pinner to enjoy a relationship with a brand. The Pinterest tastemaker is spending the week in tropical St. Bart’s “live-pinning” a photo shoot for fashion brand Calypso St. Barth.
“It’s the first of it’s kind ‘power pinner’ and brand collaboration, and I’m beyond thrilled to be a part of this,” she wrote on her blog, Miles to Style.
Currently, Martinez is the fourth most-followed user on Pinterest. Even back in December we knew she was going places—she was number three on our list of the top 10 most influential users on Pinterest.
Although Martinez has nearly 1 million Pinterest followers, this week she isn’t pinning on her own boards. Instead, Calypso St. Barth is attempting to lure some of the fashionista’s fan base over by making her a collaborator on the company’s own Pinterest page.
However, it’s unclear how effective this will be. On Pinterest, users do not need to follow another user’s entire list of boards—they can pick just one. For example, just 80 people have a full subscription to all Daily Dot boards, but 175 people follow just our Celebrities on Pinterest board. Pinterest does not add up the total of individual board follower counts.
Calypso St. Barth itself only has 656 followers on its home page. However, it has 570,866 on its Island Photoshoot board, where Martinez is pinning. In order for the fashion label to benefit from this relationship, it’ll need to convince some of Martinez’s fans to follow all boards.
If this pioneering partnership prospers, it could spell out opportunities for other power pinners. We’ll be watching closely to see if brands view this as the beginning of a beautiful—and lucrative—friendship.
Photo by Christine Martinez on Pinterest
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.