- Illinois Republicans share ‘jihad squad’ meme of 4 Dem congresswomen 1 Year Ago
- How a deepfake gets made 1 Year Ago
- How to watch ‘Veronica Mars’ season 4 online 1 Year Ago
- The MCU’s Phase 4 is all about Marvel getting weird Today 7:07 AM
- How alt porn site SuicideGirls gets women to pose naked for free Today 7:00 AM
- Why did the GOP launch a website hyping socialist candidates? Today 6:30 AM
- The macrophilia and size-change fetish communities are made possible through the magic of the internet Today 6:00 AM
- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
Early Tuesday morning, Barr tweeted to her followers, urging them to vote in the June 5 midterm primaries, but specifically to “vote for freedom of speech!” She didn’t offer any specific candidates or issues to vote for, just the internet’s favorite rallying call when someone feels they’ve been attacked, which Barr definitely does.
tomorrow please vote for freedom of speech!— Roseanne Barr (@therealroseanne) June 5, 2018
Comedian and actor Chelsea Peretti had a response to that, asking: “did the police come arrest you and your writers? did twitter shut down your account? kay. then u had freedom of speech girl ppl just didn’t like the monkey thing too much & it hit u in ur pocket$.”
Peretti is referring to Barr’s tweet comparing Valerie Jarrett to an ape from Planet of the Apes, which is what allegedly got Roseanne canceled. Many people pointed out that Barr does have free speech, but not freedom from consequences of bigoted speech. A GIF from Peretti’s show Brooklyn Nine-Nine fit perfectly in the conversation:
her reaction after her show got cancelled: pic.twitter.com/Tl7Uu6HBuP— Sana Oswal (@popcornatdusk) June 5, 2018
On Tuesday, Barr also tweeted that she is “making restitution for the pain I have caused,” adding to speculation that ABC is looking for a way to salvage Roseanne without Barr being involved.
I'm making restitution for the pain I have caused.— Roseanne Barr (@therealroseanne) June 5, 2018
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.