- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Today 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Today 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets canceled over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Today 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Today 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Today 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Today 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Today 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Today 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Today 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
The best ‘Black Panther’ salute.
Chadwick Boseman won big Monday at the MTV Movie Awards, taking home awards for best performance in a movie and best hero. Lucky for viewers, he used the moment to recognize someone who deserved it more than his Black Panther character.
“It’s even greater to acknowledge the heroes that we have in real life. So I just want to acknowledge somebody that’s here today. James Shaw Jr.—where are you?” Boseman said during his best hero acceptance speech.
Shaw in April wrestled mass shooting suspect Travis Reinking away from an AR-15 after opening fire in a Tennessee Waffle House. Four people died, but the 29-year-old Shaw’s selfless act saved more lives. (Reinking’s ongoing mental health evaluation has delayed his trial until next month.)
Boseman brought up Shaw and handed him MTV’s iconic golden popcorn award. Fans, of course, loved it.
Chadwick just gave his superhero award to James Shaw. I need everyone to embrace what an amazing moment that was. A man that dominated the superhero universe and broke boundaries gave his award to a real life hero who put his life on the line for strangers. #MTVAwards
— 97.9 KISS FM (@979KISSFM) June 19, 2018
so much respect to chadwick boseman for giving his award to james shaw jr and recognizing his heroism #MTVAwards
— emi (@emileajane) June 19, 2018
Afterward, Boseman posed for photos with Shaw.
“During the show, I was honored to meet @JamesShawJr9. He saved countless lives by tackling a gunman who opened fire on people in Antioch, Tennessee in April. He’s a true hero that walks among us,” he wrote on Twitter.
Black Panther wound up dominating the night, adding movie of the year and best villain (Michael B. Jordan) to Boseman’s lot—just when you thought the Black Panther himself was all out of salutes.
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.