- Reddit AITA: Man verbally abused partner through cat impersonations Monday 7:18 PM
- Facebook finally lets you kill distracting navigation bar notifications Monday 6:14 PM
- Artist says Thinx underwear campaign ripped off their memes (updated) Monday 5:48 PM
- Google reportedly gathering millions of Americans’ personal health records Monday 5:00 PM
- Trina goes off on Walmart shopper who allegedly called her the ‘N-word’ Monday 4:14 PM
- Bored of Helvetica? iOS users finally have some new font options Monday 4:00 PM
- Amid panic, YouTube says new terms of service won’t impact creators Monday 3:56 PM
- Opposing sides fight to control online narrative over Bolivian ‘coup’ Monday 3:50 PM
- How to sign up for the Disney+ bundle Monday 3:35 PM
- Instagram covers video costs for celebs who don’t get political Monday 3:30 PM
- T.I.’s daughter apparently unfollowed her dad on Instagram after hymen comment Monday 3:26 PM
- Meet ByteDance, the Chinese tech company behind TikTok Monday 3:09 PM
- Everything you need to know about investing app Robinhood Monday 2:44 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Seahawks on Monday Night Football Monday 1:43 PM
- Cops cuff Black man for eating sandwich on subway platform Monday 1:29 PM
Comedian Paul Scheer talks about his 8-bit version of “Breaking Bad”
Meth, GIFs, and Breaking Bad: It’s a recipe for disaster and hilarity.
Scheer’s new Tumblr Breaking GIF’s features 8-bit inspired animations of his favorite show, Breaking Bad. The award-winning drama follows high-school chemistry teacher Walter White (played by Bryan Cranston) as he cooks meth to help pay for his cancer treatments and ultimately secure his family’s financial future.
“I am currently of sound mind. And to all law enforcement agencies, this is not an admission of guilt. This is an admission of being a Breaking Bad super fan,” Scheer said in a promotional video inspired by White’s character. “It’s got everything. You’ve got meth, fried chicken, shaved heads, really cool jump suits and the new season is starting.”
Scheer has posted seven animations since launching the Tumblr on March 29. Together the series has collected more than 14,000 notes.
The Daily Dot caught up with Scheer about GIFs, meth, his thoughts on the upcoming season of Breaking Bad.
Daily Dot: What inspired you to start creating Breaking Bad-inspired GIFs? Was there one moment that got the creative juices flowing?
If Michelangelo was to paint the Sistine Chapel today it would be all GIFs. So I’m just doing my part to pay homage to my favorite TV show.
DD: How long have you been creating animations for? Did you pick up the skill on your own?
I have my post grad doctorate in GIF creation. It was niche major that’s finally paying off.
DD: For a serious TV series, the GIFs are pretty hilarious. What have you made of the huge number of responses each GIF has received?
It’s simple. People love GIFS and Meth.
DD: What are your thoughts on the show, in general? Any ideas on what you think is going to happen this upcoming season?
It’s one of the best shows on TV. Re: Next Season – I assume someone is going to die.
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.