- The 2020 Democratic presidential candidates as La Croix flavors 2 Months Ago
- Crowdsourcing mental healthcare with 7 Cups 2 Months Ago
- How to unlock hidden filters and effects for Instagram Stories Today 6:00 AM
- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
In a wild series of events, Black Twitter first roasted Tim Allen for not knowing how to play the card game Spades and then dragged him for his history of racism.
In a clip that has since gone viral, blogger Xilla Valentine tested both Tom Hanks’ and Allen’s knowledge of Black culture in an interview. The two actors were promoting their upcoming Pixar movie, Toy Story 4.
“I feel like you both have ‘Black cards,’” Valentine said in the interview.
Tom Hanks is so cool I tested his knowledge of black culture. pic.twitter.com/aGrJdD1Qjh— The All-Mighty Xilla Valentine (@BlogXilla) June 11, 2019
Valentine then asked a question about Spades. Hanks answered perfectly and even added an anecdote about his time playing Bid Whist in Oakland, California–proving that he indeed has a “Black card.”
Allen, on the other hand, was confused and seemed uncomfortable.
“I don’t know what you guys are talking about,” Allen said. “I don’t have any idea what you guys just said.”
Allen remained deadpan for the rest of the interview, and when Hanks asked him if he knew how to play Spades, Allen responded, “I’m gonna say I do just ‘cause I want to move on.”
After Valentine posted the clip from the interview to the internet, Black Twitter was sent into a frenzy–and not necessarily because Allen doesn’t know how to play spades. Instead, they used the opportunity to remind people that Allen has a history of racism.
Tim Allen is openly racist now and I love seeing him squirm here. https://t.co/yxeZXY0ozT— jeremy bearimy (@crissles) June 11, 2019
Tom Hanks = cool ass white neighbor who shows up at the black neighbors birthday party with a 6 pack for the adults, drinks for the kids & will dance off beat when the cha cha slide comes on.— 🇯🇲Black🇭🇹Aziz🇳🇬aNANsi🇹🇹 (@Freeyourmindkid) June 12, 2019
Tim Allen = Shows up & asks if you have a permit for your bounce house. pic.twitter.com/vQmrBb6l0N
I never said Tim Allen is a stupid fucking bigot because he doesn't know how to play spades. Sheesh. Relax, people.— Scott Weinberg (@scottEweinberg) June 12, 2019
He's a stupid fucking bigot for saying shit like this. pic.twitter.com/oT44f40c0Y
Conservative Twitter jumped in to defend Allen.
The only reason Tim Allen is being targeted as a racist is because he's a successful white conservative male in Hollywood. It's as simple as that.— Brigitte Gabriel (@ACTBrigitte) June 12, 2019
Tim Allen is trending right now because he doesn't know how to play the card game spades, which apparently means he is racist. My Lord, these are stupid times.— Matt Walsh (@MattWalshBlog) June 12, 2019
Tim Allen isn't racist... but nice try people who hate the fact that he's successful and conservative.— Tim Young (@TimRunsHisMouth) June 12, 2019
Allen’s mugshot from the ’70s, when he was arrested for cocaine possession, even made rounds on Twitter.
Since Tim Allen is trending, I’ll just share this pic of him getting arrested at an airport for possession 650 grams of cocaine.— Derek Boeckman (@DoubtingDerek) June 12, 2019
Yes, Buzz Lightyear was a drug mule back in the late 70’s. pic.twitter.com/YBC1loiC4d
People also attacked Valentine for simply handing out “Black cards” to random, middle-aged white men.
"You both have Black cards" Since when?— Carolyn *Pocket Sized Stallion* Hinds. (@CarrieCnh12) June 12, 2019
Black people really need to stop handing out Blcka cards and bbq invites to every white person who smiles at us. Tim Allen is hella racist. https://t.co/lUwhSn7xoY
All of this because Tim Allen doesn’t know how to play Spades.
Twitter, get some sleep.
- Black Twitter is reimagining the Avengers in memes
- Ava DuVernay launches debate over term ‘Auntie’
- These Cards Will Get You Drunk is the game with one very obvious purpose
- Racist Airbnb host refers to Black guests as ‘monkeys’ in viral video
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
H/T the Wrap
Dominic-Madori Davis is a recent graduate of the University of Southern California. She covers the internet, politics, and social issues.