- This Twitch streamer pooped his pants during a broadcast 7 Years Ago
- Apple’s iCloud encryption plan halted amid FBI pressure, report Today 10:57 AM
- Glenn Greenwald charged with cybercrimes in Brazil Today 10:48 AM
- BadBunny rips her fans for not sending her enough money Today 10:06 AM
- White rapper punched in the face for saying the N-word during battle Today 9:21 AM
- Hillary Clinton blasts Bernie Sanders, says ‘nobody likes him’ Today 8:57 AM
- Someone found Harry Styles’ doppelganger—and TikTok is obsessed Today 8:08 AM
- Patrick Stewart has spoken to Kevin Feige about playing Professor X again Today 7:16 AM
- ‘Shrill’ season 2 expands its world and point of view Today 7:00 AM
- Trans/Sex: Let trans art be messy, weird, and uncomfortable Today 6:00 AM
- Pediatrician gets death threats after pro-vaccine TikTok video Monday 9:37 PM
- This Australia-themed dildo is raising money to fight the bushfires Monday 8:26 PM
- Influencers say they’ve received unwanted sexual solicitations worth thousands Monday 7:39 PM
- Pregnant woman masterfully trolls gender-obsessed relative Monday 3:05 PM
- HBO’s ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ returns from a 2-year break with brand new ways to make you cringe Monday 3:00 PM
Twitter petition would see Betty White star at DNC
Her conversation with an empty chair would be so much funnier than Eastwood’s.
What would a political convention be nowadays without a famous old person rambling on stage?
Not to be upstaged by actor Clint Eastwood lecturing to an empty chair at the Republican National Convention, one proud Democrat has started an online petition to bring actress Betty White to the party’s big convention this week.
“Clint Eastwood, the Republican’s ‘mystery guest’ at the RNC, gave a bad name to older Americans everywhere with his absurd and awkward-to-watch introduction of Governor Romney,” wrote Peter Slutsky on his Change.org petition. “Take action today if you want to see a real (old) Hollywood icon get a political introduction right!”
The petition is just 1,600 digital signatures shy of its 7,500 goal to have the nonagenarian speak at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina. It has also inspired the Twitter hashtag #BettyWhiteDNC, which has been mentioned more than 2,600 times since Aug. 31.
“As a woman, I respect Betty White. I love her self deprecating [humor] as well as her caring ways. She loves animals, and anyone who does is usually a really OK person,” Marilyn Durham wrote on Change.org. “She can speak for w0men who have been done a great disservice by the Republican party in this state and nation, yet I believe she can be heard!”
Eastwood, 82, launched a popular meme Thursday after he berated an empty chair meant to represent President Barack Obama on the RNC stage. The more than 10 minute long diatribe made the Academy Award winning actor the laughing stock of the Internet.
White currently stars in a reality comedy series call Betty White’s Off Their Rockers and sitcom Hot in Cleveland where she plays a caretaker. Slutsky is confident White, 90, would upstage Eastwood thanks to her improvisational skills. Even so, it’s probably a good idea to keep the DNC stage clear of any empty chairs.
Photo by Alan Light/Flickr
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.