- QAnon-touting congressman sneaks ‘Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself’ into tweets Wednesday 7:12 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez met a famous drag queen–and the right melted down Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her Wednesday 5:18 PM
- Debunking the right-wing conspiracy theories from today’s impeachment hearing Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Maroon 5 approves of the latest TikTok trend Wednesday 3:54 PM
- ‘One month left in the decade’ meme wants to know what you’ve accomplished Wednesday 3:53 PM
- Facebook Pay is the latest way to send your friends money Wednesday 3:31 PM
- Diving into ‘The Mandalorian’s first big shocker Wednesday 3:17 PM
- Disney+ will allow password sharing—to an extent Wednesday 1:12 PM
- Black server says manager refused to discipline coworkers who sent racist receipt Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Who is Jonah Hauer-King, Disney’s new Prince Eric? Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Cut Katherine Langford ‘Avengers: Endgame’ scene lands on Disney+ Wednesday 12:22 PM
- Planned Parenthood app to show abortion-seeking users their nearest options Wednesday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Imagineering Story’ offers touching insight into Walt Disney’s vision Wednesday 11:57 AM
- YouTube mom who was charged with child abuse dead at 48 Wednesday 11:39 AM
Twitter petition would see Betty White star at DNC
Her conversation with an empty chair would be so much funnier than Eastwood’s.
What would a political convention be nowadays without a famous old person rambling on stage?
Not to be upstaged by actor Clint Eastwood lecturing to an empty chair at the Republican National Convention, one proud Democrat has started an online petition to bring actress Betty White to the party’s big convention this week.
“Clint Eastwood, the Republican’s ‘mystery guest’ at the RNC, gave a bad name to older Americans everywhere with his absurd and awkward-to-watch introduction of Governor Romney,” wrote Peter Slutsky on his Change.org petition. “Take action today if you want to see a real (old) Hollywood icon get a political introduction right!”
The petition is just 1,600 digital signatures shy of its 7,500 goal to have the nonagenarian speak at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina. It has also inspired the Twitter hashtag #BettyWhiteDNC, which has been mentioned more than 2,600 times since Aug. 31.
“As a woman, I respect Betty White. I love her self deprecating [humor] as well as her caring ways. She loves animals, and anyone who does is usually a really OK person,” Marilyn Durham wrote on Change.org. “She can speak for w0men who have been done a great disservice by the Republican party in this state and nation, yet I believe she can be heard!”
Eastwood, 82, launched a popular meme Thursday after he berated an empty chair meant to represent President Barack Obama on the RNC stage. The more than 10 minute long diatribe made the Academy Award winning actor the laughing stock of the Internet.
White currently stars in a reality comedy series call Betty White’s Off Their Rockers and sitcom Hot in Cleveland where she plays a caretaker. Slutsky is confident White, 90, would upstage Eastwood thanks to her improvisational skills. Even so, it’s probably a good idea to keep the DNC stage clear of any empty chairs.
Photo by Alan Light/Flickr
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.