- Instagram included in Facebook transparency report for the first time 1 Year Ago
- PayPal pulls out of Pornhub, leaving sex workers to consider cryptocurrency 1 Year Ago
- Billionaires are resorting to making racist jokes against Warren now 1 Year Ago
- What is the meme of the decade? Today 1:07 PM
- At least 5 employees resign from GitHub, citing ICE contract Today 12:57 PM
- The ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ redesign was led by a ‘Sonic’ artist Today 12:17 PM
- The 16-inch MacBook Pro is a beast, and it has a decent keyboard Today 11:24 AM
- This group is scanning thousands of faces in Congress today to protest facial recognition Today 11:09 AM
- Why is everyone debating Pete Buttigieg’s Medicare for All stance? Today 10:47 AM
- The Motorola Razr is a foldable homage to millennial nostalgia Today 10:22 AM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme gets much more literal on TikTok Today 10:20 AM
- MrDeadMoth avoids jail time for assaulting pregnant partner during live stream Today 9:21 AM
- Deval Patrick 2020 fever is not catching on Today 9:08 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Browns on Thursday Night Football Today 8:13 AM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Netherlands in the U-17 World Cup semis Today 6:46 AM
A lot of people—Texans and non-Texans—started following Beto O’Rourke on social media during his run for Senate. We followed his never-ending road trips across Texas, watched him skate in a Whataburger parking lot, and sweat through his shirts. But since his loss to Republican Sen. Ted Cruz last week, Beto’s Instagram has become decidedly more chill.
He’s hiking with his family in El Paso.
But more importantly, he’s eating things that aren’t Whataburger. On his Instagram stories, he’s been snacking on guacamole while driving. Last week, he showed everyone a giant bowl of “Beto’s guac,” which his family set up for him to eat safely while driving.
This weekend he also made scones with his daughter and cut up a flank steak marinated in “soy, lime, and ginger.” The steak in particular—and Beto licking his fingers—has people feeling things.
Beto O’Rourke is cutting up flank steak over on Instagram in case anyone asks how it is I got pregnant. pic.twitter.com/vxpryuO30g— Ξvan Ross Katz (@evanrosskatz) November 12, 2018
Tag your self I’m the steak pic.twitter.com/mnNYuznKuZ— ⚡angeline⚡ (@HARRYSMUSE) November 12, 2018
My sexual orientation is now Beto slicing up a steak pic.twitter.com/mKcdpHtqlq— Delia Cai (@delia_cai) November 12, 2018
He also found time to write a thoughtful note to supporters about what comes next and the influence his campaign had on future elections. There’s been talk of him running for president, but “For the time being, I am going to focus on being a better dad to our kids who have not had much of one for the last 22 months,” he wrote.
pretty extraordinary letter from O'Rourke to supporters just now: pic.twitter.com/WpBFXI4ohT— chris hooks (@cd_hooks) November 11, 2018
Some people made the comparison to Adam Scott’s Parks and Recreation character Ben Wyatt and his claymation hobby, as a way to say that maybe O’Rourke is going through a depressive phase after losing, but perhaps he’s just trying to get through it in his own way. And if that way includes more finger-licking I think we’ll be OK.
- Who’s going to challenge Trump in 2020? Here are the early contenders
- Could Bernie Sanders run—and win—in 2020?
- Where does Beto O’Rourke stand on policy?
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.