- Right-wing sites falsely claimed group of Somalis attacked man in viral video 10 Months Ago
- Big creators risk losing checkmarks amid YouTube verification purge 10 Months Ago
- How to stream Eagles vs. Lions in NFL Week 3 action 10 Months Ago
- How to stream Steelers vs. 49ers in NFL Week 3 action Today 4:10 PM
- How to stream Bills vs. Bengals in NFL Week 3 action Today 4:03 PM
- Colt halts production of AR-15s for civilians Today 3:45 PM
- If you love long-winded, hashtag-heavy Instagram captions, these apps can help Today 2:54 PM
- Teen girls on TikTok have convinced the internet that they eat their tampons Today 2:33 PM
- Twitch streamer faces criticism for trying to defend racist jokes Today 2:03 PM
- How to stream Raiders vs. Vikings in Week 3 Today 12:55 PM
- NRA calls Beto O’Rourke ‘AR-15 salesman of the month’ in wake of buyback proposal Today 12:03 PM
- After 23 deaths, Sean Bean is tired of getting killed on-screen Today 11:48 AM
- Stephen Miller has a girlfriend—and people are stunned Today 11:35 AM
- Mickey Rourke says Robert De Niro iced him out of ‘The Irishman’ Today 11:07 AM
- Conservative men are melting down over Elizabeth Warren’s speech Today 10:40 AM
A lot of people—Texans and non-Texans—started following Beto O’Rourke on social media during his run for Senate. We followed his never-ending road trips across Texas, watched him skate in a Whataburger parking lot, and sweat through his shirts. But since his loss to Republican Sen. Ted Cruz last week, Beto’s Instagram has become decidedly more chill.
He’s hiking with his family in El Paso.
But more importantly, he’s eating things that aren’t Whataburger. On his Instagram stories, he’s been snacking on guacamole while driving. Last week, he showed everyone a giant bowl of “Beto’s guac,” which his family set up for him to eat safely while driving.
This weekend he also made scones with his daughter and cut up a flank steak marinated in “soy, lime, and ginger.” The steak in particular—and Beto licking his fingers—has people feeling things.
Beto O’Rourke is cutting up flank steak over on Instagram in case anyone asks how it is I got pregnant. pic.twitter.com/vxpryuO30g— Ξvan Ross Katz (@evanrosskatz) November 12, 2018
Tag your self I’m the steak pic.twitter.com/mnNYuznKuZ— ⚡angeline⚡ (@HARRYSMUSE) November 12, 2018
My sexual orientation is now Beto slicing up a steak pic.twitter.com/mKcdpHtqlq— Delia Cai (@delia_cai) November 12, 2018
He also found time to write a thoughtful note to supporters about what comes next and the influence his campaign had on future elections. There’s been talk of him running for president, but “For the time being, I am going to focus on being a better dad to our kids who have not had much of one for the last 22 months,” he wrote.
pretty extraordinary letter from O'Rourke to supporters just now: pic.twitter.com/WpBFXI4ohT— chris hooks (@cd_hooks) November 11, 2018
Some people made the comparison to Adam Scott’s Parks and Recreation character Ben Wyatt and his claymation hobby, as a way to say that maybe O’Rourke is going through a depressive phase after losing, but perhaps he’s just trying to get through it in his own way. And if that way includes more finger-licking I think we’ll be OK.
- Who’s going to challenge Trump in 2020? Here are the early contenders
- Could Bernie Sanders run—and win—in 2020?
- Where does Beto O’Rourke stand on policy?
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.