- Is that Rosa Parks in random Twitter user’s baby photo? Tuesday 8:24 PM
- Syracuse students say white supremacist manifesto was AirDropped to them Tuesday 7:44 PM
- Florida woman gets prison time for throwing slushie at Matt Gaetz Tuesday 6:28 PM
- Marie Kondo’s online store slammed for selling clutter-worthy products Tuesday 5:34 PM
- People are rallying against toxic masculinity on International Men’s Day Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Reddit wants to stop its pro-Trump forum from outing the alleged whistleblower Tuesday 3:38 PM
- White woman calls cops on man who said he was visiting aunt with his kids Tuesday 3:12 PM
- ‘The Stranded’ is a flawed yet addictive blend of ‘Degrassi’ and ‘Lost’ Tuesday 2:45 PM
- The ‘gonna tell my kids’ meme is revisionist history at its most absurd Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Redditor asks former burglars to give home security tips Tuesday 2:18 PM
- Facebook-Breitbart partnership under fire in wake of new Stephen Miller emails Tuesday 2:00 PM
- John Krasinski under fire after praising the CIA Tuesday 1:46 PM
- Conservatives melt down after Chick-fil-A says it will stop donating to anti-LGBTQ orgs Tuesday 1:33 PM
- ‘Honey Boy’ is an experimental look at channeling trauma Tuesday 1:28 PM
- Disney+ now allows users to resume and restart content Tuesday 11:42 AM
A lot of people—Texans and non-Texans—started following Beto O’Rourke on social media during his run for Senate. We followed his never-ending road trips across Texas, watched him skate in a Whataburger parking lot, and sweat through his shirts. But since his loss to Republican Sen. Ted Cruz last week, Beto’s Instagram has become decidedly more chill.
He’s hiking with his family in El Paso.
But more importantly, he’s eating things that aren’t Whataburger. On his Instagram stories, he’s been snacking on guacamole while driving. Last week, he showed everyone a giant bowl of “Beto’s guac,” which his family set up for him to eat safely while driving.
This weekend he also made scones with his daughter and cut up a flank steak marinated in “soy, lime, and ginger.” The steak in particular—and Beto licking his fingers—has people feeling things.
Beto O’Rourke is cutting up flank steak over on Instagram in case anyone asks how it is I got pregnant. pic.twitter.com/vxpryuO30g— Ξvan Ross Katz (@evanrosskatz) November 12, 2018
Tag your self I’m the steak pic.twitter.com/mnNYuznKuZ— ⚡angeline⚡ (@HARRYSMUSE) November 12, 2018
My sexual orientation is now Beto slicing up a steak pic.twitter.com/mKcdpHtqlq— Delia Cai (@delia_cai) November 12, 2018
He also found time to write a thoughtful note to supporters about what comes next and the influence his campaign had on future elections. There’s been talk of him running for president, but “For the time being, I am going to focus on being a better dad to our kids who have not had much of one for the last 22 months,” he wrote.
pretty extraordinary letter from O'Rourke to supporters just now: pic.twitter.com/WpBFXI4ohT— chris hooks (@cd_hooks) November 11, 2018
Some people made the comparison to Adam Scott’s Parks and Recreation character Ben Wyatt and his claymation hobby, as a way to say that maybe O’Rourke is going through a depressive phase after losing, but perhaps he’s just trying to get through it in his own way. And if that way includes more finger-licking I think we’ll be OK.
- Who’s going to challenge Trump in 2020? Here are the early contenders
- Could Bernie Sanders run—and win—in 2020?
- Where does Beto O’Rourke stand on policy?
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.