- Watch Mike Bloomberg try to shake a dog’s mouth 1 Year Ago
- ‘Rey who?’ is the funniest meme to emerge from ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ 1 Year Ago
- AI beat the CDC to the punch on coronavirus warnings 1 Year Ago
- What exactly is a ‘large boulder the size of a small boulder’? 1 Year Ago
- Mom of ‘Success Kid’ says Steve King can’t use her son’s meme for ‘repulsive’ campaign Today 2:00 PM
- Jake Paul can’t escape Logan Paul’s shadow—even if that loyalty has hurt his career Today 1:13 PM
- Kobe Bryant’s Oscar-winning ‘Dear Basketball’ is now available to stream for free (updated) Today 12:21 PM
- ‘Joker’ ad compares Todd Phillips to Gandhi Today 12:10 PM
- Mom learned about her special needs son’s abuse by seeing TikTok video Today 11:21 AM
- Influencer gets revenge on her male trolls with Instagram account Today 10:32 AM
- Conservatives are frothing over a Ukraine joke told on CNN Today 10:26 AM
- Dua Lipa isn’t canceled—but her fans are defending her in #DuaLipaIsOverParty like she is Today 9:21 AM
- These YouTube videos claim to show the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash (they don’t) Today 9:08 AM
- More than 40 colleges say they won’t use facial recognition on campus Today 8:32 AM
- LeBron’s Instagram tribute to Kobe is devastating Today 7:56 AM
A lot of people—Texans and non-Texans—started following Beto O’Rourke on social media during his run for Senate. We followed his never-ending road trips across Texas, watched him skate in a Whataburger parking lot, and sweat through his shirts. But since his loss to Republican Sen. Ted Cruz last week, Beto’s Instagram has become decidedly more chill.
He’s hiking with his family in El Paso.
But more importantly, he’s eating things that aren’t Whataburger. On his Instagram stories, he’s been snacking on guacamole while driving. Last week, he showed everyone a giant bowl of “Beto’s guac,” which his family set up for him to eat safely while driving.
This weekend he also made scones with his daughter and cut up a flank steak marinated in “soy, lime, and ginger.” The steak in particular—and Beto licking his fingers—has people feeling things.
Beto O’Rourke is cutting up flank steak over on Instagram in case anyone asks how it is I got pregnant. pic.twitter.com/vxpryuO30g— Ξvan Ross Katz (@evanrosskatz) November 12, 2018
Tag your self I’m the steak pic.twitter.com/mnNYuznKuZ— ⚡angeline⚡ (@HARRYSMUSE) November 12, 2018
My sexual orientation is now Beto slicing up a steak pic.twitter.com/mKcdpHtqlq— Delia Cai (@delia_cai) November 12, 2018
He also found time to write a thoughtful note to supporters about what comes next and the influence his campaign had on future elections. There’s been talk of him running for president, but “For the time being, I am going to focus on being a better dad to our kids who have not had much of one for the last 22 months,” he wrote.
pretty extraordinary letter from O'Rourke to supporters just now: pic.twitter.com/WpBFXI4ohT— chris hooks (@cd_hooks) November 11, 2018
Some people made the comparison to Adam Scott’s Parks and Recreation character Ben Wyatt and his claymation hobby, as a way to say that maybe O’Rourke is going through a depressive phase after losing, but perhaps he’s just trying to get through it in his own way. And if that way includes more finger-licking I think we’ll be OK.
- Who’s going to challenge Trump in 2020? Here are the early contenders
- Could Bernie Sanders run—and win—in 2020?
- Where does Beto O’Rourke stand on policy?
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.