- Buttigieg, Klobuchar come together to laugh at Bloomberg Wednesday 10:29 PM
- Bernie Sanders calls Bloomberg’s wealth ‘grotesque’ to his face Wednesday 9:53 PM
- Angry Bloomberg asks debate moderators if he’s ‘chicken liver’ Wednesday 9:29 PM
- Elizabeth Warren savages everyone else’s healthcare plan Wednesday 9:07 PM
- K-Pop stans help push ‘Pooping for Kaitlin’ hashtag mocking Kent State gun girl Wednesday 8:54 PM
- Fans speculate after learning Pop Smoke posted address prior to fatal home invasion Wednesday 8:11 PM
- Jar of human tongues found in Florida has people shook Wednesday 6:39 PM
- Video of Blueface teaching Obama lookalike to dance is turning heads Wednesday 5:58 PM
- ‘No one has the range’ for this meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Mom confronts man who followed daughter through grocery store in viral video Wednesday 5:05 PM
- Major study linking vaping to heart attacks gets retracted Wednesday 4:36 PM
- George Zimmerman is suing Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth Warren Wednesday 2:55 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Horse Girl’ accused of ripping off 2017 indie film Wednesday 2:52 PM
- The Genyus Network is a safe social space for stroke survivors Wednesday 2:20 PM
- MAGA hat-wearing dog finishes last in ‘Today Show’ fan vote—still named winner Wednesday 2:03 PM
For the seventh time, the Daily Dot’s music stans have made you a 24-hour, 360-song playlist of the year’s best music. Listen to it below.
It’s not just a dump of songs—it’s a mixtape. You can listen to it A-Z and never hear the same artist twice. (Except for, you know, Drake and then a song by another rapper featuring Drake.) In a year where teens found new music by searching for “sad music” on SoundCloud, and mainstream rock finally became unlistenable, and major labels planned release strategies around social media spats, and “Spotify” became a genre defined by soft vibes that lull you into not turning off the stream, there was an unquantifiable lot of great music. (Just read Bandcamp’s wonderful year-end list of indies—one I looked to for some of these playlist selections.)
- A Weezer argument on ‘SNL’ is the most 2018 thing to happen this year
- Inside the booming black market for Spotify playlists
- Why TikTok is 2018’s app of the year
This thing took nine people to construct. I had to go through and cut the duplicates, so by virtue of the fact that these people appeared in every mix-maker’s batch, these are the Daily Dot’s favorite musicians of the year:
Father John Misty
The Love Language
Oneohtrix Point Never
Shannon and the Clams
Thee Oh Sees
Unknown Mortal Orchestra
The 2018 Long Player, a Daily Dot tradition since 2012, is here to power our lonely holiday season.
The best songs of 2018: A long Spotify playlist
Thanks to mix contributors Joshua Bradshaw, David Covucci, Blake Hurtik, Lauren L’Amie, Austin Powell, Tara Seetharam, Alexis Tatum, and Harrison Yeager.
Check out past iterations of the year-end mix:
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.