- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Tuesday 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Tuesday 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Tuesday 11:04 AM
Survive the new year with the 360 best songs from 2018.
For the seventh time, the Daily Dot’s music stans have made you a 24-hour, 360-song playlist of the year’s best music. Listen to it below.
It’s not just a dump of songs—it’s a mixtape. You can listen to it A-Z and never hear the same artist twice. (Except for, you know, Drake and then a song by another rapper featuring Drake.) In a year where teens found new music by searching for “sad music” on SoundCloud, and mainstream rock finally became unlistenable, and major labels planned release strategies around social media spats, and “Spotify” became a genre defined by soft vibes that lull you into not turning off the stream, there was an unquantifiable lot of great music. (Just read Bandcamp’s wonderful year-end list of indies—one I looked to for some of these playlist selections.)
- A Weezer argument on ‘SNL’ is the most 2018 thing to happen this year
- Inside the booming black market for Spotify playlists
- Why TikTok is 2018’s app of the year
This thing took nine people to construct. I had to go through and cut the duplicates, so by virtue of the fact that these people appeared in every mix-maker’s batch, these are the Daily Dot’s favorite musicians of the year:
Father John Misty
The Love Language
Oneohtrix Point Never
Shannon and the Clams
Thee Oh Sees
Unknown Mortal Orchestra
The 2018 Long Player, a Daily Dot tradition since 2012, is here to power our lonely holiday season.
The best songs of 2018: A long Spotify playlist
Thanks to mix contributors Joshua Bradshaw, David Covucci, Blake Hurtik, Lauren L’Amie, Austin Powell, Tara Seetharam, Alexis Tatum, and Harrison Yeager.
Check out past iterations of the year-end mix:
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.