- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok 1 Week Ago
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? 1 Week Ago
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved 1 Week Ago
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari 1 Week Ago
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Today 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Today 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Today 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Today 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Today 2:45 PM
- Homophobic preacher wants Pete Buttigieg to renounce fisting and rimming Today 2:33 PM
- ‘The Liar, the Snitch, and the War Crimes’: Twitter roasts news of Trump Jr. book deal Today 12:36 PM
- Polar Peak in Fortnite is cracking, and players think a dragon may be beneath the ice Today 12:07 PM
- ‘Rise of Skywalker’ first look reveals mysterious new characters Today 12:00 PM
- Meet the anti-choice, pro-NRA Trump supporter challenging Rep. Justin Amash Today 11:51 AM
- Moby attempts to prove he dated Natalie Portman with a shirtless photo Today 11:39 AM
Mr. Ratburn from ‘Arthur’ is gay—and Twitter is thrilled
The cake-loving teacher gets married in a new episode.
MR RATBURN IS GAY HELLO !! HE GOT MARRIED !! pic.twitter.com/T1Emc97Y0f
— unionize buzzfeed (@WOLFNOlR) May 13, 2019
TVLine reports that the plot twist came in the season 22 premiere of Arthur, “Mr. Ratburn and the Special Someone,” which aired on Monday.
In the episode, Arthur and his friends plan to foil Mr. Ratburn’s wedding to a woman they see him with, fearing they’re not a great match. But the gang soon figures out that the woman (voiced by Jane Lynch) is actually Mr. Ratburn’s sister, and his betrothed is a man who makes Mr. Ratburn very happy.
It made people on Twitter very happy, too, when they learned that the beloved Arthur character finally came out as gay.
For some, there were clues along the way, like the poster that showed a young Mr. Ratburn in a new wave band.
deep down didn't we all know mr. ratburn was gay when we found out he was in a band that looked like this! pic.twitter.com/e0metZH7nb
— luke! 🍊 (@tusktwo) May 13, 2019
But it was still exciting news for many who grew up watching the show, which mostly centers around Arthur, his sister D.W., and their friends as they navigate the challenges of elementary schoolers.
gay people who grew up with Arthur: haha mr. ratburn is gay
mr. ratburn: (is actually gay)
the gay people: pic.twitter.com/sjSB7gm0ip
— snufkai (@kaicedcoffee) May 13, 2019
“Now that Mr. Ratburn is gay I can finally die,” one Twitter user wrote.
Now that Mr. Ratburn is gay I can finally die
— eli lewinsky (@shepprd2) May 13, 2019
me thinking about how mr. ratburn from arthur is canonically gay and got married to another man on television today pic.twitter.com/nCPihYuE7U
— abstraction of a rabbit (@puppetmotel) May 13, 2019
In a statement to the Daily Dot, PBS Kids said its programming is “designed to reflect the diversity of communities across the nation.”
“We believe it is important to represent the wide array of adults in the lives of children who look to PBS Kids every day,” said a spokesperson for the network.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.