- Animator for Netflix’s ‘Carmen Sandiego’ says he was fired after asking for fair pay Sunday 3:17 PM
- YouTube reverses decision to remove creators’ badges Sunday 1:47 PM
- How video game developer Valve got served secret subpoena as part of FBI’s counterterrorism fight Sunday 12:31 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Sunday 11:35 AM
- Who needs glass slippers? This Cinderella cosplayer upgraded with a stunning glass arm Sunday 10:19 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Sunday 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Sunday 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
MR RATBURN IS GAY HELLO !! HE GOT MARRIED !! pic.twitter.com/T1Emc97Y0f— unionize buzzfeed (@WOLFNOlR) May 13, 2019
TVLine reports that the plot twist came in the season 22 premiere of Arthur, “Mr. Ratburn and the Special Someone,” which aired on Monday.
In the episode, Arthur and his friends plan to foil Mr. Ratburn’s wedding to a woman they see him with, fearing they’re not a great match. But the gang soon figures out that the woman (voiced by Jane Lynch) is actually Mr. Ratburn’s sister, and his betrothed is a man who makes Mr. Ratburn very happy.
It made people on Twitter very happy, too, when they learned that the beloved Arthur character finally came out as gay.
For some, there were clues along the way, like the poster that showed a young Mr. Ratburn in a new wave band.
But it was still exciting news for many who grew up watching the show, which mostly centers around Arthur, his sister D.W., and their friends as they navigate the challenges of elementary schoolers.
gay people who grew up with Arthur: haha mr. ratburn is gay— snufkai (@kaicedcoffee) May 13, 2019
mr. ratburn: (is actually gay)
the gay people: pic.twitter.com/sjSB7gm0ip
“Now that Mr. Ratburn is gay I can finally die,” one Twitter user wrote.
Now that Mr. Ratburn is gay I can finally die— eli lewinsky (@shepprd2) May 13, 2019
me thinking about how mr. ratburn from arthur is canonically gay and got married to another man on television today pic.twitter.com/nCPihYuE7U— abstraction of a rabbit (@puppetmotel) May 13, 2019
In a statement to the Daily Dot, PBS Kids said its programming is “designed to reflect the diversity of communities across the nation.”
“We believe it is important to represent the wide array of adults in the lives of children who look to PBS Kids every day,” said a spokesperson for the network.
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.