- Kobe Bryant’s Oscar-winning ‘Dear Basketball’ is now available to stream for free 9 Months Ago
- ‘Joker’ ad compares Todd Phillips to Gandhi 9 Months Ago
- Mom learned about her special needs son’s abuse by seeing TikTok video Today 11:21 AM
- Influencer gets revenge on her male trolls with Instagram account Today 10:32 AM
- Conservatives are frothing over a Ukraine joke told on CNN Today 10:26 AM
- Dua Lipa isn’t canceled—but her fans are defending her in #DuaLipaIsOverParty like she is Today 9:21 AM
- These YouTube videos claim to show the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash (they don’t) Today 9:08 AM
- More than 40 colleges say they won’t use facial recognition on campus Today 8:32 AM
- LeBron’s Instagram tribute to Kobe is devastating Today 7:56 AM
- ‘Rise of Empires: Ottoman’ is ‘Game of Thrones’ for history buffs Today 7:00 AM
- People on Twitter ask whose ancestors would’ve passed immigrant ‘wealth test’ Monday 6:54 PM
- Kobe Bryant helicopter crash mocked in teen’s TikTok video Monday 6:38 PM
- Chiefs, Bears, Packers have Twitter accounts hacked Monday 3:48 PM
- Washington Post reporter suspended amid backlash over Kobe Bryant tweet Monday 3:08 PM
- America is united in hating Ken Starr’s impeachment hat Monday 3:01 PM
MR RATBURN IS GAY HELLO !! HE GOT MARRIED !! pic.twitter.com/T1Emc97Y0f— unionize buzzfeed (@WOLFNOlR) May 13, 2019
TVLine reports that the plot twist came in the season 22 premiere of Arthur, “Mr. Ratburn and the Special Someone,” which aired on Monday.
In the episode, Arthur and his friends plan to foil Mr. Ratburn’s wedding to a woman they see him with, fearing they’re not a great match. But the gang soon figures out that the woman (voiced by Jane Lynch) is actually Mr. Ratburn’s sister, and his betrothed is a man who makes Mr. Ratburn very happy.
It made people on Twitter very happy, too, when they learned that the beloved Arthur character finally came out as gay.
For some, there were clues along the way, like the poster that showed a young Mr. Ratburn in a new wave band.
But it was still exciting news for many who grew up watching the show, which mostly centers around Arthur, his sister D.W., and their friends as they navigate the challenges of elementary schoolers.
gay people who grew up with Arthur: haha mr. ratburn is gay— snufkai (@kaicedcoffee) May 13, 2019
mr. ratburn: (is actually gay)
the gay people: pic.twitter.com/sjSB7gm0ip
“Now that Mr. Ratburn is gay I can finally die,” one Twitter user wrote.
Now that Mr. Ratburn is gay I can finally die— eli lewinsky (@shepprd2) May 13, 2019
me thinking about how mr. ratburn from arthur is canonically gay and got married to another man on television today pic.twitter.com/nCPihYuE7U— abstraction of a rabbit (@puppetmotel) May 13, 2019
In a statement to the Daily Dot, PBS Kids said its programming is “designed to reflect the diversity of communities across the nation.”
“We believe it is important to represent the wide array of adults in the lives of children who look to PBS Kids every day,” said a spokesperson for the network.
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.