- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her 6 Months Ago
- Debunking the right-wing conspiracy theories from today’s impeachment hearing Today 4:29 PM
- Maroon 5 approves of the latest TikTok trend Today 3:54 PM
- ‘One month left in the decade’ meme wants to know what you’ve accomplished Today 3:53 PM
- Facebook Pay is the latest way to send your friends money Today 3:31 PM
- Diving into ‘The Mandalorian’s first big shocker Today 3:17 PM
- Disney+ will allow password sharing—to an extent Today 1:12 PM
- Black server says manager refused to discipline coworkers who sent racist receipt Today 12:47 PM
- Who is Jonah Hauer-King, Disney’s new Prince Eric? Today 12:47 PM
- Cut Katherine Langford ‘Avengers: Endgame’ scene lands on Disney+ Today 12:22 PM
- Planned Parenthood app to show abortion-seeking users their nearest options Today 12:21 PM
- ‘The Imagineering Story’ offers touching insight into Walt Disney’s vision Today 11:57 AM
- YouTube mom who was charged with child abuse dead at 48 Today 11:39 AM
- Every Marvel Cinematic Universe movie and show missing from Disney+ (and when they’ll show up) Today 11:35 AM
- HBO Max is planning a ‘Friends’ reunion special Today 11:10 AM
MR RATBURN IS GAY HELLO !! HE GOT MARRIED !! pic.twitter.com/T1Emc97Y0f— unionize buzzfeed (@WOLFNOlR) May 13, 2019
TVLine reports that the plot twist came in the season 22 premiere of Arthur, “Mr. Ratburn and the Special Someone,” which aired on Monday.
In the episode, Arthur and his friends plan to foil Mr. Ratburn’s wedding to a woman they see him with, fearing they’re not a great match. But the gang soon figures out that the woman (voiced by Jane Lynch) is actually Mr. Ratburn’s sister, and his betrothed is a man who makes Mr. Ratburn very happy.
It made people on Twitter very happy, too, when they learned that the beloved Arthur character finally came out as gay.
For some, there were clues along the way, like the poster that showed a young Mr. Ratburn in a new wave band.
But it was still exciting news for many who grew up watching the show, which mostly centers around Arthur, his sister D.W., and their friends as they navigate the challenges of elementary schoolers.
gay people who grew up with Arthur: haha mr. ratburn is gay— snufkai (@kaicedcoffee) May 13, 2019
mr. ratburn: (is actually gay)
the gay people: pic.twitter.com/sjSB7gm0ip
“Now that Mr. Ratburn is gay I can finally die,” one Twitter user wrote.
Now that Mr. Ratburn is gay I can finally die— eli lewinsky (@shepprd2) May 13, 2019
me thinking about how mr. ratburn from arthur is canonically gay and got married to another man on television today pic.twitter.com/nCPihYuE7U— abstraction of a rabbit (@puppetmotel) May 13, 2019
In a statement to the Daily Dot, PBS Kids said its programming is “designed to reflect the diversity of communities across the nation.”
“We believe it is important to represent the wide array of adults in the lives of children who look to PBS Kids every day,” said a spokesperson for the network.
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.