- Pro-Trump subreddit quarantined over violent threats in support of Oregon Republicans 2 Years Ago
- Woman who live streamed a police officer’s shooting is receiving death threats 2 Years Ago
- Pre-Prime Day deals you don’t want to miss 2 Years Ago
- Dana Loesch out at NRATV; ‘thoughts and prayers’ for her career are in Today 12:33 PM
- Trump’s rant about Megan Rapinoe devolves into treatise about PC culture in the NBA Today 10:41 AM
- Is Millie Bobby Brown joining the MCU? Today 10:39 AM
- Hundreds of thousands demand that Etika’s previously deleted YouTube channel be restored Today 10:18 AM
- Eric Trump says cocktail waitress spit on him in Chicago bar Today 9:47 AM
- Maine governor signs net neutrality bill into law Today 9:07 AM
- How the QAnon movement continues without its messenger Today 8:26 AM
- 6 best Korean beauty products for summer Today 8:17 AM
- ‘The Office’ is leaving Netflix in 2021 Today 7:46 AM
- How to install the iOS 13 beta and test out its best new features Today 7:42 AM
- Swipe This! I want my boyfriend to text me everyday. Is that crazy? Today 7:30 AM
- Why every 2020 Democrat is canceled Today 7:01 AM
Army vet blasts ‘Instagram King’ Dan Bilzerian for filming Vegas shooting
A marine veteran blasted social media star Dan Bilzerian after the celebrity uploaded a video to his Instagram of the Las Vegas shooting. Bilzerian was in Las Vegas for the Rout 91 Country Music Festival on Sunday before the venue came under fire.
Bilzerian had been at the side of the stage with childhood pal and country star Jake Owen before the shooting began. In the video, you can see Bilzerian running from the festival grounds as gunshots ring out in the background.
“Holy fuck. This girl just got shot in the fucking head. Still fucking crazy,” he says.
Dakota Meyer, a Marine veteran and a Medal of Honor recipient, uploaded a screengrab of the video with a caption that criticized Bilzerian for filming the video and then running away without helping.
This is why children shouldn't classify heroes by their followers or their photos. @danbilzerian this is what kills me about people like you. Always playing "operator dress up" and so so tough when the cameras are on. A woman just got shot in the head and you are running away filming that's not what operators do. Please stop trying to be someone your not. People are dying, you're running away not helping them and pretending it's worthy of a video is disgusting.
A post shared by Dakota Meyer (@dakotameyer0317) on
The military vet’s criticism focused on how Bilzerian tends to portray himself in military fatigues to his followers, but runs away in the face of actual danger. The vet called the video “disgusting.”
Bilzerian achieved social media relevancy after a video of a women stroking his beard as he watched a poker game went viral. In these last few years, Bilzerian has risen as the unofficial “King of Instagram,” with over 22 million followers.
The over-muscled stud’s Instagram feed is an endless scroll of hot women, trips around the world and, most notable of all, his enthusiasm for guns of which he is always sharing photos of. This video has drawn criticism toward Bilzerian’s constant posturing as a military “operator” to his millions of followers with ample photos of military grade weapons and vehicles.
A post shared by Dan Bilzerian (@danbilzerian) on
A post shared by Dan Bilzerian (@danbilzerian) on
Other users chimed in, calling Bilzerian a coward and a fraud for using the video as a social media gimmick.
No wonder Dan Bilzerian didn't make it in SEAL training… "sees a girl get shot runs away and manages to record himself" coward honestly hope the best for people affected…
— Alessandro Morelli (@Sucioliciousvic) October 2, 2017
— Michael (@MadLab76) October 2, 2017
Trust fund baby poker player booted from service vs Medal of Honor, Purple Heart, Navy Achievement Medal, Sergeant/Sniper. Say no more.
— Michael (@MadLab76) October 3, 2017
He ran like the 5 foot man he is. Everything about this clown is fraudulent
— Christian Troy (@DrTroy357) October 2, 2017
According to his fans and other users, Bilzerian ran back to his Las Vegas home where he grabbed an automatic rifle, and came back to help clear out victims during the shooting. No definitive proof has shown up online, however.
One screengrab shows Bilzerian on the scene with the police, but it does not appear he is wielding a gun it’s is unclear whether he returned to the scene before the gunman was taken down.
Dan Bilzerian is a legend… he saw a girl get shot in the face then runs and grabs his ar and goes back to get people out..
— Ghost (@LondonStPatrick) October 2, 2017
This man Dan Bilzerian just left the shooting and came back strapped and is saving lives. MVP material right there. #PRAYERSFORVEGAS
— alfy (@focused017) October 2, 2017
In an interview with Hollywood Life, Bilzerian shares that he did go home to get a gun but returned to the scene after the police got the situation under control. Bilzerian called this incident “a wake-up call,” citing next time he will be sure to keep his gun on him. His follower count has not been impacted by this controversial video.
Danielle Ransom is a journalist who has worked as a researcher for CNN, NBC's KXAN-TV, CBS' KEYE-TV.