- ‘Subtle Asian Dating’ is the un-Tinder we all need right now 1 Year Ago
- Man delighted to find 30-year-old computer still works Sunday 5:32 PM
- Report: Google used shell companies to build data centers, obtain tax breaks Sunday 3:38 PM
- Grammy winner Kacey Musgraves spoiled ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 4’ Sunday 2:24 PM
- Conservatives feel vindicated by new developments in Jussie Smollett case (updated) Sunday 12:19 PM
- Don Cheadle made important fashion choices on ‘SNL’ Sunday 9:47 AM
- Why the Twitter left loves to dunk on Max Boot Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Last Week Tonight with John Oliver’ online for free Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Francis Ngannou vs. Cain Velasquez for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream the 2019 Daytona 500 for free Sunday 5:50 AM
- 7-year-old YouTuber to get his own show on Nickelodeon Saturday 5:30 PM
- ‘Hipster’ jobs are trending, and Indeed says the market is booming Saturday 3:33 PM
- Trump meme removed after copyright complaint Saturday 2:15 PM
- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Saturday 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Saturday 10:17 AM
Nickelodeon classic ‘Are You Afraid of the Dark?’ to be made into a movie
The ’90s are coming back in full force.
Nickelodeon’s popular ’90s series Are You Afraid of the Dark? is being adapted for the big screen with the writer behind It helming the project. This adaptation joins an ever-expanding lineup of Viacom properties being adapted like Legend of the Hidden Temple and Hey Arnold!.
The anthology series—which ran from 1990 to 2000—followed a group of teenagers called the Midnight Society that gathered around a campfire at a secret location in the woods where they shared stories about ghosts, vampires, Bigfoot, and other paranormal occurrences.
It and Annabelle: Creation writer Gary Dauberman will be writing the script and producing the film.
“The show is about the shared experience of telling stories — especially scary ones. We’re going to celebrate that with this movie and honor the darker, scarier tone of the show, which was really groundbreaking for Nickelodeon at the time,” Dauber told The Hollywood Reporter. Paramount Player, a subdivision of Paramount Pictures, is overseeing production of the adaptation. No casting decisions have been made yet.
A few fans are already freaking out at the news.
The fact that they are making a movie version of 'Are You Afraid of the Dark' proves that the 90's kids had the best shows. That is all 🔥
— Cosby Siringi (@TheRealCosbo) November 14, 2017
They are making a Are You Afraid Of The Dark? movie! Hell yeah! I can't wait! In the 90s I wanted to be a member of The Midnight Society. If I'm being honest, I still do.
— Curtis Freeman (@freeman_ac) November 14, 2017
If you need a refresher on the show or just want to re-live the thrills of your childhood, Nickelodeon has uploaded episodes to YouTube.
Many old Canadian series (including the first 10 episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark? – with the original Canadian opening) are on a new YouTube channel called Encore+. As of this tweet, it doesn't appear to be geo-blocked in the U.S. Check it out: https://t.co/PcmpPRp1ca pic.twitter.com/7Q507MhKTw
— Nick and More (@nickandmore) November 10, 2017
Danielle Ransom is a journalist who has worked as a researcher for CNN, NBC's KXAN-TV, CBS' KEYE-TV.