- Sri Lankan government shuts down social media in wake of deadly blasts Sunday 7:56 PM
- Amazon Flex drivers now must use selfies to verify identity Sunday 6:34 PM
- #GentrifyingGeorge thinks 152-year-old HBCU should ‘just move’ Sunday 5:27 PM
- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online (updated) Sunday 3:32 PM
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Sunday 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Sunday 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Sunday 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
Andrade wants to prove he’s the best middleweight in the world.
Demetrius Andrade is finally getting his opportunity to show he can be one of the best middleweight boxers in the world. When he fights Artur Akavov on Friday night on DAZN, he’ll have the chance to solidify his spot as a top-notch 160-pounder. And there’s an easy way to watch the Andrade-Akavov live stream for free.
For so much of his career, Andrade was thought to be a huge talent who suffered from a lackluster promoter that held him back from big fights and large paydays. But since signing with the Matchroom Boxing promotion last year, he’s been more often in the public eye and has finally won a world title.
Consider this: Andrade (26-0, 16 knockouts) has largely been considered a talented up-and-comer. But he fought only two times in 2013, only once in 2014, once in 2015, once in 2016, twice in 2017, and once in 2018. For a fighter hungry for a championship and for all the rewards that come with it, that sparse schedule leaves a lot to be desired.
On Friday, though, he’ll be making his second appearance in the past three months against a fighter in Akavov (19-2, 8 KOs) he’s widely expected to beat.
“It is great to be back in the ring. It has been a long time that I’ve been this active,” Andrade said. “I believe I am the best at 160 [pounds] and 168 in the world. For now, I need to handle my business against Artur. But I will keep doing what I have been doing. Stay tall, black, and handsome and handle my business. If you can’t attend, then watch on DAZN.”
Here’s everything you need to know to watch Andrade vs. Akavov for free on DAZN.
Demetrius Andrade vs. Artur Akavov
- When: Friday, Jan. 18 at 9pm ET
- Where: Madison Square Garden in New York City
- Streaming: DAZN (free with one-month trial)
Andrade vs. Akavov live stream: How to watch for free
Entering 2019, DAZN continues to make a big impact in the boxing world. In Andrade’s case, it’s allowing the world to see if the previously underused boxer can really make a name for himself at middleweight. If you’re not already signed up for DAZN, you can get a one-month free trial (you can sign up here to get started). After the free trial is finished, DAZN costs $9.99 per month but you can cancel at any time. With more than 100 combat sports events per year, DAZN has been a good deal for consumers.
It’s only been four months since DAZN arrived in the U.S.—it was already available in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Canada, and Japan—but there have been plenty of exciting fights on the streaming service, including matches involving Anthony Joshua, Oleksandr Usyk, Tony Bellew, and Jarrell “Big Baby” Miller. DAZN got an enormous bump when it signed Canelo Alvarez, one of the world’s most bankable stars, to an 11-fight, $365 million deal. It’s also the exclusive home of the World Boxing Super Series, and in the next two months, rising junior middleweight standout Jaime Munguia and light heavyweight titlist Dmitry Bivol will be featured.
To live stream Andrade vs. Akavov, you can download the DAZN app on streaming devices Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Xbox One, or PlayStation 4. You can also stream DAZN from iOS and Android devices, along with any web browser.
Andrade vs. Akavov: Why it matters
Andrade is a huge favorite in this matchup. With a money line of -5000, you’d have to plunk down $5,000 to win $100 on an Andrade victory (on the other hand, Akavov is +1400, meaning you’d win $1,400 with a $100 wager). But Akavov thinks he can prevail.
“I respect Demetrius as a champion, but I came here to be the victor,” he said. “This is my dream and my goal.”
Unfortunately for Akavov, he hasn’t yet shown he can be a champion. He’s never beaten an elite fighter, and the only other time he’s fought for a world title, he lost a unanimous decision to the sturdy but not spectacular Billy Joe Saunders in 2016. Akavov certainly has some skills, but he probably doesn’t own near enough to compete against a talent like Andrade.
Andrade potentially has the makeup of a boxing star. He’s yet to face a top-notch boxer, but most of his performances have been impressive. He’s been avoided thus far by the best in the division, because he’s not well known and because he’s always been seen as a high-risk, low-reward kind of an opponent. But if he has a few more standout performances, he could draw enough money to compel other top 160-pounders to take a chance against him.
“I’m not satisfied,” Andrade told Matchroom Boxing. “I’ve always been at the top but now I’m growing in the top of the mainstream. The boxing world knows I’m the baddest man out there but not having the right promotion behind me putting me out there has hurt me and that’s why I’ve made the changes and Matchroom and DAZN know what I can bring and they can move me to the next level. My job is to win.”
Andrade vs. Akavov live stream schedule
- Demetrius Andrade vs. Artur Akavov
- TJ Doheny vs. Ryohei Takahashi
- Jorge Linares vs. Pablo Cesar Cano
- Chris Algieri vs. Daniel Gonzalez
- Amanda Serrano vs. Eva Voraberger
- Reshat Mati vs. Benjamin Borteye
- Julian Sosa vs. Dieumerci Nazu
- Nkosi Solomon vs. Cade Rodriguez
- Cornell Hines vs. Fahrud Fatulla
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, Sundance TV, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, Willow, AMC, FX, Fox News, Freeform, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, FS1, TBS, TNT, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Syfy, HGTV, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Bravo, Lifetime, Discovery, PBS, the CW, BBC, CSPAN, NBA TV, MTV, Comedy Central, Food Network, TLC, HLN, A&E, Animal Planet, National Geographic, the Weather Channel, the History Channel, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube. If you’re on the move, here’s how to watch Fox Sports Go and live stream NBC Sports.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.