- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Today 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Today 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets canceled over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Today 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Today 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Today 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Today 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Today 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Today 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Today 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
Monday’s release of the trailer for Detective Pikachu, starring Ryan Reynolds as everyone’s favorite fictitious rodent, was met with mixed reactions online. Based on a 2016 Nintendo DS game, the trailer teases a film that just might manage to pull off a video game adaptation with the right combination of humor and intrigue.
His tweet was quickly followed by a YouTuber who goes by Dolan Dark, who Tuesday uploaded a different version of the trailer, in which Pikachu is voiced by far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.
Weirdly, they were both kind of spot-on.
Danny Devito is Detective Pikachu in some better timeline, and this is what it sounds like: pic.twitter.com/g029RoGPIh
— Blake (@NoShape_) November 12, 2018
Pikachu rambles aimlessly in the DeVito version of the trailer, using clips from FX’s It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, in which DeVito plays Frank Reynolds, the reprehensible father of Dee and Dennis.
“I need some trash to plug up the cut,” DeVit-achu explains to a baffled Tim Goodman, played by Justice Smith, before launching into a tirade on eating cat food that has to be experienced to be understood. @NoShape_ manages to keep Pikachu’s movements and mouth surprisingly synched with DeVito’s off-kilter delivery.
The Alex Jones video struggles more to synch lips with words, but Jones’s rage-filled tirades somehow fit Pikachu like a tiny, rubber-insulated glove.
“I’m animated, I’m a throwback, I’m here,” an enraged sounding Pikachu rants at Goodman. “I’m an explorer. I don’t like them putting chemicals in the water that turn the friggin’ frogs gay!”
“I like women, not men and if I liked men I’d be proud of it,” Pikachu growls at Mister Mime toward the end of the 44-second trailer. “I’d have a lot of them, but I ain’t never been in bed with no man.”
You’ve never seen Pikachu like this.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.