- Man claims ex-girlfriend killed his dog after he broke up with her 4 Years Ago
- What are BitTorrent downloads and how do they work? 4 Years Ago
- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ Today 10:49 AM
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 Today 10:41 AM
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Today 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Today 9:00 AM
- Kit Harington is joining the MCU–and people are guessing which character he will play Today 8:48 AM
- How to live stream Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Dewayne Beamon Today 8:00 AM
- The 5 best free torrent clients you can download in 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Saints vs. Jets in NFL preseason action Today 7:49 AM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. 49ers in NFL preseason action Today 7:36 AM
- How to live stream Bellator 225: Mitrione vs. Kharitonov Today 7:30 AM
- Alice Wetterlund draws insight from the last decade in ‘My Mama Is a Human and So Am I’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream the Cowboys vs. Texans NFL preseason showdown Today 7:00 AM
- How ‘Stranger Things’ is inspiring new waves of Dungeons and Dragons fans Today 6:00 AM
It’s not often that a musician drops a secret album on their fans, and it’s even rarer for a filmmaker to reveal a secret movie. But that’s exactly what J.J. Abrams’s production company Bad Robot did on Thursday.
Paramount and Bad Robot released a trailer for 10 Cloverfield Lane, a movie that nobody had heard of before. It was attached to 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi and appeared online Thursday night. Buzz and speculation quickly held that it was a sequel to Abrams’s 2008 film Cloverfield, particularly since the first trailer for Cloverfield was released in a similar, secret manner.
Did J.J. secretly make a sequel to CLOVERFIELD. Because that’s sure what it seems like from the the trailer I just saw. 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE.
— Matt Cohen (@TheMattman) January 15, 2016
While Abrams shot down the idea of a straight sequel, he did confirm the two movies were related.
“The idea came up a long time ago during production,” Abrams told Collider. “We wanted to make it a blood relative of Cloverfield. The idea was developed over time. We wanted to hold back the title for as long as possible.”
Two years ago, Dan Trachtenberg was hired to direct a film called Valencia, but then nobody heard anything about it after that. It looks as though this is what Trachtenberg was doing.
Even without its ties to Cloverfield, 10 Cloverfield Lane manages to ramp up the suspense in seconds. John Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and John Gallagher, Jr. are all in a bomb shelter of sorts, protecting themselves from whatever is outside, but tensions quickly rise as one of them tries to escape—a decision she’ll likely regret.
10 Cloverfield Lane will be released on March 11.
Screengrab via Paramount Pictures/YouTube
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.