- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate player’s trans flag removed for being ‘political’ Monday 7:37 PM
- Does Donald Trump Jr. know what American soldiers do? Monday 7:17 PM
- Sophie Turner has a hot take on Arya’s ‘Game of Thrones’ sex scene Monday 6:50 PM
- Parked Tesla Model S bursts into flames in shocking video Monday 3:12 PM
- Fortnite is getting an Avengers Endgame event Monday 2:44 PM
- The living are facing the end of the world in the latest ‘Game of Thrones’ Monday 2:37 PM
- The best Korean beauty toners for your skincare routine Monday 2:33 PM
- Warren’s plan to cancel student debt stimulates the bad-take economy Monday 2:27 PM
- Video shows Easter Bunny punching man on sidewalk Monday 2:09 PM
- The 7 best lubes for when you wanna do butt stuff Monday 2:00 PM
- 11 best sex toys under $35 to blow your mind Monday 1:30 PM
- Twitch streamer inadvertently documents all the times she was sexually, verbally harassed on vacation Monday 1:12 PM
- Raptors coach Nick Nurse becomes a relatable meme Monday 1:12 PM
- Man wears bandage that blends in with his skin tone, and Twitter has all the feelings Monday 12:55 PM
- The 8 best Korean sunscreens to add to your bag Monday 12:15 PM
‘Sang my name right and everything,’
In case you haven’t heard, Warner Bros. is releasing Smallfoot in theaters on Thursday. The 3-D computer-animated film is about a Yeti who discovers a human (aka a “smallfoot”) and is forced to prove the creature exists after he’s banished from his village.
Why is Zendaya the most important part of the cast? Because it was she who inspired internet sensation Gabriel Gundacker to create the song “Zendaya is Meechee”, basically everyone’s favorite thing on Twitter right now.
zendaya is meechee pic.twitter.com/zE6rXniAnQ
— Gabriel Gundacker (@gabegundacker) September 23, 2018
Gundacker’s amazing voice and perfect timing make the song the equal to anything you might hear in an animated film, which is probably why his video has been viewed almost 5 million times since it was first posted on September 22.
He’s so goddamn enthusiastic that you can’t help but love it.
This keeps me alive. #zendayaismeechee
— Logan Marshall-Green (@TheRealElemgy) September 23, 2018
I’ve watched this 13 times now and have been reduced to tears with every single listen.
— Anthony Troli (@AnthonyTroli) September 23, 2018
— Shayne Topp (@supershayne) September 24, 2018
Nobody knows how truly necessary this is until you’ve walked past the same movie posters everyday on the way home.
— H▵NN▵H (@Hannah_Kat_Lee) September 23, 2018
— the darthest knight (@laughingstorm89) September 23, 2018
— ANNE-MARIE (@annemarie_zzz) September 23, 2018
It even inspired a ukulele cover version by a man who says it “changed my life”.
— Josh Browner (@LilJamesSpader) September 23, 2018
Zendaya herself even turned out to be a fan. The day after the video was posted she retweeted it, adding that Gundacker “Sang my name right and everything.”
Sang my name right and everything 😂😂😂 https://t.co/1rKNc2eff9
— Zendaya (@Zendaya) September 23, 2018
We’re sure the film itself will be full of fun for the whole family, but can it possibly compare to the grandeur that is “Zandaya is Meechee”? Those are some big feet to follow.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.