- First YouTube comment to hit 1 million likes is on Billie Eilish’s ‘bad guy’ music video 1 Year Ago
- Girl says she was fired over exposing how Panera makes its mac and cheese on TikTok Today 11:34 AM
- David Harbour teased fans about Hopper’s ‘Stranger Things’ fate on ‘SNL’ Today 10:24 AM
- Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriation–and botching it Today 9:19 AM
- Rihanna defends Vogue writer who received backlash for ‘winging’ interview Today 8:36 AM
- Here are the best PC games to add to your list Today 8:20 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 8 Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chargers on Sunday Night Football Saturday 7:20 PM
- Popular TikTok teens accused of pretending to be gay for clout Saturday 6:38 PM
- Scott Walker’s ‘$26 haircut’ dig at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez backfires Saturday 4:46 PM
- Halle synagogue shooter allegedly posted manifesto on anime message board Saturday 4:06 PM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Jets in NFL Week 6 Saturday 3:25 PM
- How to stream Rams vs. 49ers in NFL Week 6 action Saturday 3:05 PM
- Kamala Harris’ ‘lover’ says Jacob Wohl hired him off Craigslist Saturday 2:03 PM
- Korean hair salon dragged for turning straight hair into Afro-textured hair Saturday 1:00 PM
In case you haven’t heard, Warner Bros. is releasing Smallfoot in theaters on Thursday. The 3-D computer-animated film is about a Yeti who discovers a human (aka a “smallfoot”) and is forced to prove the creature exists after he’s banished from his village.
Why is Zendaya the most important part of the cast? Because it was she who inspired internet sensation Gabriel Gundacker to create the song “Zendaya is Meechee”, basically everyone’s favorite thing on Twitter right now.
zendaya is meechee pic.twitter.com/zE6rXniAnQ— Gabriel Gundacker (@gabegundacker) September 23, 2018
Gundacker’s amazing voice and perfect timing make the song the equal to anything you might hear in an animated film, which is probably why his video has been viewed almost 5 million times since it was first posted on September 22.
He’s so goddamn enthusiastic that you can’t help but love it.
This keeps me alive. #zendayaismeechee— Logan Marshall-Green (@TheRealElemgy) September 23, 2018
I’ve watched this 13 times now and have been reduced to tears with every single listen.— Anthony Troli (@AnthonyTroli) September 23, 2018
Masterpiece.— Shayne Topp (@supershayne) September 24, 2018
Nobody knows how truly necessary this is until you’ve walked past the same movie posters everyday on the way home.— H▵NN▵H (@Hannah_Kat_Lee) September 23, 2018
It even inspired a ukulele cover version by a man who says it “changed my life”.
Zendaya herself even turned out to be a fan. The day after the video was posted she retweeted it, adding that Gundacker “Sang my name right and everything.”
Sang my name right and everything 😂😂😂 https://t.co/1rKNc2eff9— Zendaya (@Zendaya) September 23, 2018
We’re sure the film itself will be full of fun for the whole family, but can it possibly compare to the grandeur that is “Zandaya is Meechee”? Those are some big feet to follow.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.