- Man delighted to find 30-year-old computer still works Sunday 5:32 PM
- Report: Google used shell companies to build data centers, obtain tax breaks Sunday 3:38 PM
- Grammy winner Kacey Musgraves spoiled ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 4’ Sunday 2:24 PM
- Conservatives feel vindicated by new developments in Jussie Smollett case (updated) Sunday 12:19 PM
- Don Cheadle made important fashion choices on ‘SNL’ Sunday 9:47 AM
- Why the Twitter left loves to dunk on Max Boot Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Last Week Tonight with John Oliver’ online for free Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Francis Ngannou vs. Cain Velasquez for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream the 2019 Daytona 500 for free Sunday 5:50 AM
- 7-year-old YouTuber to get his own show on Nickelodeon Saturday 5:30 PM
- ‘Hipster’ jobs are trending, and Indeed says the market is booming Saturday 3:33 PM
- Trump meme removed after copyright complaint Saturday 2:15 PM
- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Saturday 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Saturday 10:17 AM
- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free Saturday 8:00 AM
‘Sang my name right and everything,’
In case you haven’t heard, Warner Bros. is releasing Smallfoot in theaters on Thursday. The 3-D computer-animated film is about a Yeti who discovers a human (aka a “smallfoot”) and is forced to prove the creature exists after he’s banished from his village.
Why is Zendaya the most important part of the cast? Because it was she who inspired internet sensation Gabriel Gundacker to create the song “Zendaya is Meechee”, basically everyone’s favorite thing on Twitter right now.
zendaya is meechee pic.twitter.com/zE6rXniAnQ
— Gabriel Gundacker (@gabegundacker) September 23, 2018
Gundacker’s amazing voice and perfect timing make the song the equal to anything you might hear in an animated film, which is probably why his video has been viewed almost 5 million times since it was first posted on September 22.
He’s so goddamn enthusiastic that you can’t help but love it.
This keeps me alive. #zendayaismeechee
— Logan Marshall-Green (@TheRealElemgy) September 23, 2018
I’ve watched this 13 times now and have been reduced to tears with every single listen.
— Anthony Troli (@AnthonyTroli) September 23, 2018
— Shayne Topp (@supershayne) September 24, 2018
Nobody knows how truly necessary this is until you’ve walked past the same movie posters everyday on the way home.
— H▵NN▵H (@Hannah_Kat_Lee) September 23, 2018
— the darthest knight (@laughingstorm89) September 23, 2018
— ANNE-MARIE (@annemarie_zzz) September 23, 2018
It even inspired a ukulele cover version by a man who says it “changed my life”.
— Josh Browner (@LilJamesSpader) September 23, 2018
Zendaya herself even turned out to be a fan. The day after the video was posted she retweeted it, adding that Gundacker “Sang my name right and everything.”
Sang my name right and everything 😂😂😂 https://t.co/1rKNc2eff9
— Zendaya (@Zendaya) September 23, 2018
We’re sure the film itself will be full of fun for the whole family, but can it possibly compare to the grandeur that is “Zandaya is Meechee”? Those are some big feet to follow.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.