- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Tuesday 10:50 AM
‘Sang my name right and everything,’
In case you haven’t heard, Warner Bros. is releasing Smallfoot in theaters on Thursday. The 3-D computer-animated film is about a Yeti who discovers a human (aka a “smallfoot”) and is forced to prove the creature exists after he’s banished from his village.
Why is Zendaya the most important part of the cast? Because it was she who inspired internet sensation Gabriel Gundacker to create the song “Zendaya is Meechee”, basically everyone’s favorite thing on Twitter right now.
zendaya is meechee pic.twitter.com/zE6rXniAnQ
— Gabriel Gundacker (@gabegundacker) September 23, 2018
Gundacker’s amazing voice and perfect timing make the song the equal to anything you might hear in an animated film, which is probably why his video has been viewed almost 5 million times since it was first posted on September 22.
He’s so goddamn enthusiastic that you can’t help but love it.
This keeps me alive. #zendayaismeechee
— Logan Marshall-Green (@TheRealElemgy) September 23, 2018
I’ve watched this 13 times now and have been reduced to tears with every single listen.
— Anthony Troli (@AnthonyTroli) September 23, 2018
— Shayne Topp (@supershayne) September 24, 2018
Nobody knows how truly necessary this is until you’ve walked past the same movie posters everyday on the way home.
— H▵NN▵H (@Hannah_Kat_Lee) September 23, 2018
— the darthest knight (@laughingstorm89) September 23, 2018
— ANNE-MARIE (@annemarie_zzz) September 23, 2018
It even inspired a ukulele cover version by a man who says it “changed my life”.
— Josh Browner (@LilJamesSpader) September 23, 2018
Zendaya herself even turned out to be a fan. The day after the video was posted she retweeted it, adding that Gundacker “Sang my name right and everything.”
Sang my name right and everything 😂😂😂 https://t.co/1rKNc2eff9
— Zendaya (@Zendaya) September 23, 2018
We’re sure the film itself will be full of fun for the whole family, but can it possibly compare to the grandeur that is “Zandaya is Meechee”? Those are some big feet to follow.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.