- Pete Buttigieg ripped for basketball ‘field’ tribute to Kobe Bryant 5 Months Ago
- See how Logan Paul reacted to a college student spitting on him 5 Months Ago
- Lewis Capaldi mistaken for Grammy seat filler because no one knows who he is Today 7:40 AM
- Why we’re obsessed with abandoned power plants and theme parks Today 7:00 AM
- Democrats are open to changing one of the internet’s bedrock principles Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! Social media makes me feel like my career is lagging. Will I ever catch up? Today 6:00 AM
- ‘Zola’ is a surreal and wild tale of a road trip gone wrong Today 5:00 AM
- Sebastian Gorka blocks pundit over Fleshlight joke Today 1:56 AM
- Woman slammed for trying to put UPS driver on blast Sunday 5:23 PM
- Twitter users are sharing which celebrities have blocked them Sunday 4:43 PM
- Conspiracy theorists are already taking advantage of Kobe Bryant’s death Sunday 4:14 PM
- Adam Driver returns to ‘SNL’ as Kylo Ren to reprise role in ‘Undercover Boss’ parody Sunday 3:46 PM
- White men are raging over ‘SNL’s’ white male rage skit Sunday 3:05 PM
- Kobe Bryant dead at 41 Sunday 2:24 PM
- Pete Buttigieg mocked over ‘staged’ walking photo Sunday 12:22 PM
It’s only day two of the U.S. Open, and things are already heating up.
The woman, who has yet to be publicly identified, was attending a match between Spanish player Feliciano López and American player Taylor Fritz on Monday. During a break, López decided to take some time to change out his sweaty shirt. The woman, who was sitting a few rows behind López, took that opportunity to take out her phone and snap some pics of a shirtless López.
Of course, her reaction was caught on camera, and the moment went viral after a tennis fan account shared the video on Twitter.
“Blonde woman, top left. She is all of us,” the tweet read.
Blonde woman, top left. She is all of us 😂 pic.twitter.com/3EG7DHl32d— 💨No Match Windy, No? (@nomatchwindyno) August 26, 2019
But her actions have divided Twitter. Some laughed along with the blonde woman.
“Get that boomerang, sis,” one person wrote.
Get that boomerang, sis— MANU 🇲🇽 (@LuisMaHerliaz) August 27, 2019
While others found her actions to be uncomfortable, claiming the positive response she is receiving is a double standard. Many men are saying that if the roles had been reversed–a man taking photos of a shirtless female tennis player–people would have deemed it creepy.
“All hell would have broke loose if it was the other way round,” Twitter user @HenriAshwell09 wrote.
@EdSimpson200215 all hell would have broke loose if it was the other way round— Henri (@HenriAshwell09) August 27, 2019
Now let’s switch genders...— Mogliking (@mogli1999) August 27, 2019
Others brought up the fact that men actually do this to women, and oftentimes their motives are far more sinister.
“Men rape women more than women rape men, men sexually assault women more often than women sexually assault men. Men kill women more than women kill men. The woman is taking it to laugh with her friends. The man to fantasise whilst wanking & no doubt think about raping her,” dating expert Nadia Essex wrote on Twitter.
Men rape women more than women rape men, men sexually assault women more often than women sexually assault men. Men kill women more than women kill men. The woman is taking it to laugh with her friends. The man to fantasise whilst wanking & no doubt think about raping her— Nadia Essex (@LadyNadiaEssex) August 27, 2019
Twitter user @PsychOutWXNA noted out that the roles could not possibly be reversed in this scenario because female tennis players are not allowed to change their shirts on courts like men are.
“There’s a double standard here that doesn’t allow women to swap out shirts like the men,” they wrote.
I can’t imagine. There’s a double standard here that doesn’t allow women to swap out shirts like the men. Add in societal power dynamics and your whole imaginative scenario just disappears.— Mike Mannix (@PsychOutWXNA) August 27, 2019
No word on if López has been made aware of the video, but as he did win the match over Fritz, he’s probably too busy preparing for round two of the Open.
Either way, the most shocking thing about this situation is that it’s been over 24 hours and Twitter has yet to find this woman.
Twitter, get it together.
Dominic-Madori Davis is a recent graduate of the University of Southern California. She covers the internet, politics, and social issues.