- What does the EU’s Copyright Directive mean for the future of the internet? 2 Weeks Ago
- The LGBTQ and Black communities deserve real answers about the Jussie Smollett case Today 3:51 PM
- The Jussie Smollett-Trump collusion discourse is a condescending Wonka meme come to life Today 3:47 PM
- Even teachers are in on TikTok’s #hitthewoah Today 2:49 PM
- Editor’s history of calling trans people ‘frauds’ shines light on Economist’s transphobic tweet Today 2:24 PM
- New ‘Avengers: Endgame’ posters reveal the fates of several Marvel characters Today 2:12 PM
- Man pleads guilty to stealing over $100 million from Facebook, Google Today 12:59 PM
- Washington Post under fire for transphobic cartoon about the Mueller Report Today 12:33 PM
- Congressman quotes ‘Mein Kampf’ on House floor Today 11:55 AM
- Rapper Tone Loc detained after confronting teen in Confederate flag hat Today 11:37 AM
- Sarah Sanders shares Mueller Madness bracket Today 10:19 AM
- NASA postpones all-women spacewalk over lack of suits that fit the female astronauts Today 10:17 AM
- Texas Rangers shortstop walks up to ‘Baby Shark’ Today 9:58 AM
- The best wireless gaming headsets under $100 Today 9:23 AM
- Trump demands networks blacklist these guests—including prominent Democrats Today 9:09 AM
William H. Macy memes surge following college cheating scandal
A massive scandal involving an admissions and testing scheme was blown wide open Tuesday, implicating a number of big names. Among these is actress Felicity Huffman, who reportedly took part in the multimillion-dollar scam in hopes of landing her eldest daughter in an ivy league school.
So why hasn’t her husband—Shameless actor William H. Macy—been named in the indictment? A “spouse” who people suspect to be Macy has shown up on several court documents, but so far it appears he is in the clear. Yet after the news broke, it wasn’t long before people started making the connection between the criminal behavior and… well, pretty much every William H. Macy character ever.
Then came the memes.
A lot of people couldn’t help but compare the situation to the plot of Fargo, in which a Minnesotan car salesman—played by Macy—gets himself in hot water over money problems. Very hot water. Murder hot.
TFW when the cops are asking hard questions about how your kid got into USC. pic.twitter.com/MEJUOcRnEV
— Dan O'Sullivan (@Bro_Pair) March 12, 2019
From the comments: "Authorities just released a photo of the two guys William H. Macy met with to start this process:" pic.twitter.com/LLkRqYbZfl
— David Thomas (@DaveThomas5150) March 12, 2019
I'm not sure if I'm enjoying this Fargo remake. https://t.co/SLIikq08rm
— Jeet Heer (@HeerJeet) March 12, 2019
William H. Macy on the phone with the admissions office right now pic.twitter.com/GsYsjvv3C2
— Sady Doyle (@sadydoyle) March 12, 2019
Other people drew connections between the unfolding criminal saga and other characters played by Macy like the ever-criminally minded Frank Gallagher from Shameless.
I KNEW HE WASN'T RIGHT WHEN HE STARRED IN THAT MOVIE WHERE HIS WIFE STAPLED HIS BALLS TO A MOTHER FUCKIN OAK TREE
"William H. Macy's alleged ties to a college admissions imbroglio got the meme treatment" https://t.co/LXyucPkHwf
— CryptoMaceWindu (@CryptoMaceWindu) March 13, 2019
I’m sorry but I’m imagining William H Macy and Felicity Huffman having a lot of tight lipped conversations about this on the phone and just laughing to myself
— nuanced opinion guy (@charles_kinbote) March 12, 2019
I can't believe William H. Macy became accidentally embroiled in a ridiculous federal crime and it's not in a Coen brothers movie
— Dana Schwartz (@DanaSchwartzzz) March 12, 2019
Keep the memes coming, people.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.