- People are sharing how serving in the military has ruined their lives with #WhyIServe Sunday 5:31 PM
- Gillette ad showing a dad teaching his trans son how to shave has the internet in tears Sunday 4:34 PM
- 4chan’s new troll campaign aims to make the hashtag a white supremacist symbol Sunday 2:49 PM
- Here’s what that ‘cliff wife’ meme is all about Sunday 12:58 PM
- Artist suspended from Facebook, Instagram after posting anti-MAGA artwork Sunday 12:04 PM
- How to watch Serie A online for free Sunday 7:30 AM
- What does ‘uwu’ mean? Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
William H. Macy memes surge following college cheating scandal
A massive scandal involving an admissions and testing scheme was blown wide open Tuesday, implicating a number of big names. Among these is actress Felicity Huffman, who reportedly took part in the multimillion-dollar scam in hopes of landing her eldest daughter in an ivy league school.
So why hasn’t her husband—Shameless actor William H. Macy—been named in the indictment? A “spouse” who people suspect to be Macy has shown up on several court documents, but so far it appears he is in the clear. Yet after the news broke, it wasn’t long before people started making the connection between the criminal behavior and… well, pretty much every William H. Macy character ever.
Then came the memes.
A lot of people couldn’t help but compare the situation to the plot of Fargo, in which a Minnesotan car salesman—played by Macy—gets himself in hot water over money problems. Very hot water. Murder hot.
TFW when the cops are asking hard questions about how your kid got into USC. pic.twitter.com/MEJUOcRnEV
— Dan O'Sullivan (@Bro_Pair) March 12, 2019
From the comments: "Authorities just released a photo of the two guys William H. Macy met with to start this process:" pic.twitter.com/LLkRqYbZfl
— David Thomas (@DaveThomas5150) March 12, 2019
I'm not sure if I'm enjoying this Fargo remake. https://t.co/SLIikq08rm
— Jeet Heer (@HeerJeet) March 12, 2019
William H. Macy on the phone with the admissions office right now pic.twitter.com/GsYsjvv3C2
— Sady Doyle (@sadydoyle) March 12, 2019
Other people drew connections between the unfolding criminal saga and other characters played by Macy like the ever-criminally minded Frank Gallagher from Shameless.
I KNEW HE WASN'T RIGHT WHEN HE STARRED IN THAT MOVIE WHERE HIS WIFE STAPLED HIS BALLS TO A MOTHER FUCKIN OAK TREE
"William H. Macy's alleged ties to a college admissions imbroglio got the meme treatment" https://t.co/LXyucPkHwf
— CryptoMaceWindu (@CryptoMaceWindu) March 13, 2019
I’m sorry but I’m imagining William H Macy and Felicity Huffman having a lot of tight lipped conversations about this on the phone and just laughing to myself
— nuanced opinion guy (@charles_kinbote) March 12, 2019
I can't believe William H. Macy became accidentally embroiled in a ridiculous federal crime and it's not in a Coen brothers movie
— Dana Schwartz (@DanaSchwartzzz) March 12, 2019
Keep the memes coming, people.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.