- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
A New York City restaurant is serving up whole smoked watermelon ham. Yes, you read that correctly: watermelon ham. It’s watermelon smoked like a meat—and the internet is troubled by it.
“We’re famous for our smoked meats, and we wanted some more vegan and vegetarian options,” William Horowitz, chef and owner of Ducks Eatery, explains in a video interview with Food Insider. “We simply do the same thing that we’ve been doing for thousands of years to meats, but we do it to a melon.”
The recipe for preparing watermelon ham looks almost identical to that of any typical ham. The watermelon is soaked in a mixture of coriander, salt, and oregano, then left to dry and smoke for half a day. Ash is used to give the melon a “skin-like” texture, and then the melon is soaked in its own juices before serving.
“We do all these techniques that might seem really strange, but they’re actually pretty normal. And they’re delicious,” Horowitz says.
In response, people have expressed deep concern about the mind-boggling dish, some horrified by the spectacle and others intrigued with how it may taste.
every time i see that watermelon cooked like a ham i want to gouge my eyes out— Kayla (@kayco222) August 8, 2018
You're as disappointing and unsatisfying as a Watermelon Ham.— Absynth Lover (@seegreenfairys) August 8, 2018
That watermelon ham video is one of the most disturbing things I’ve seen on this website and that’s saying a lot. pic.twitter.com/lqvsWFjf10— Christina (@ChristinaPgh) August 8, 2018
This smoked watermelon looking like ham thing is bothering me.....and I also want a slice. I'm confused— DT3 (@dabigjoker) August 8, 2018
yes I definitely would eat the watermelon ham— Jane 🍳🧺🦵 (@looks_last) August 8, 2018
Dear @DucksEatery please dm me your watermelon ham recipe. I want to make this madness.— Alex Cragun (@AlexCragun) August 8, 2018
But if you have a hankering for a watermelon full of savory, smokey, and juicy flavors, you’ll just have to fork over $75.
Onaje McDowelle is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot. He is studying journalism and African and African Diaspora Studies at the University of Texas at Austin. His work has appeared in Austin Monthly magazine, GoodMusicAllDay, and Orange magazine.