- Mike Huckabee’s defense of Trump’s coronavirus response will make you nauseous 4 Years Ago
- Gmail’s email filtering may affect what candidate emails you are seeing Today 11:08 AM
- Woman shares aftermath of domestic abuse: ‘This is only to raise awareness’ Today 10:40 AM
- Skai Jackson gets restraining order against Bhad Bhabie after death threat Today 10:19 AM
- Taylor Swift shades Scooter Braun in ‘The Man’ video Today 10:15 AM
- Porn stars are lining up behind Bernie Sanders Today 10:10 AM
- YouTube mom says she ‘beat’ her 2-year-old daughter for ruining her makeup kit Today 10:02 AM
- Ajit Pai’s net neutrality victory lap comes as his own repeal is under review Today 9:20 AM
- Alissa Violet is in Italy—and fans are worried she’ll get coronavirus Today 9:19 AM
- Bernie or Barry? Garth Brooks’ Sanders jersey sparks online panic Today 8:42 AM
- Netflix series ‘Followers’ is a visual treat—but lacks a clear narrative Today 6:00 AM
- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
It’s kind of a bummer being involved in the cycle of production, consumption and advertising whenever we’re not asleep, so it’s nice to celebrate people who manage to have fun and make human connections at their jobs. On that score, let us now praise this witty Virgin America gate agent, who could have put boring messages on the boarding signs at his station, but decided instead to use his power for good.
The wily Virgin American, alias Rootbeer1, posted a collection of his highest jinks from 2014-2015 on Imgur. They’re dad-level jokes, but their mere presence is subversive in its own mild way. As U.S. Poet Laureate Kid Rock once said: “Hey, authority: [photo of Kid Rock’s middle finger].”
Unfortunately, the occasion of Rootbeer1 posting his tomfoolery is a sad one. “New owner Alaska Airlines isn’t really known for a cheeky corporate culture, so signs like these are most likely going away,” he wrote.
Carry on your wayward son, there’ll be peace when you are done.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.