- Bill Mitchell, the Trump-loving QAnon scammer, is pushing ammunition for a civil war 3 Years Ago
- How to stream Tigres vs. Cruz Azul in the Leagues Cup final 3 Years Ago
- How to stream Bayern Munich vs. Belgrade Red Star in Champions League action 3 Years Ago
- HBO Max gains the streaming rights to ‘The Big Bang Theory’ 3 Years Ago
- Everyone hates this Russian rapper’s pro-Putin music video Today 10:34 AM
- Skull fire logs are here to make you look like a gleeful murderer Today 10:30 AM
- High school cheerleading team put on probation for waving Trump banner during a game Today 10:12 AM
- ‘Battlestar Galactica’ is getting a reboot from the creator of ‘Mr. Robot’ Today 9:17 AM
- Sean Spicer is already alleging judges are out to get him on DWTS Today 8:52 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Jupiter’s Legacy’ loses showrunner halfway through filming Today 7:36 AM
- ‘Disenchantment’ season 2 starts strong but falls into familiar trappings Today 7:00 AM
- Are Ben Shapiro fans organizing against his opponents on Twitter? Today 6:30 AM
- iPhone overloaded? Here’s how to cancel app subscriptions Monday 11:02 PM
- Fan-created ‘app’ lets users experience the final moments of the ill-fated Jeremy Renner app Monday 10:00 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos receives lifetime ban from furry convention Monday 7:49 PM
Bob Hoskins was a great and prolific actor. He appeared in over 50 feature films, playing everything from a band manager in Pink Floyd — The Wall, to J. Edgar Hoover in Nixon. He won a Golden Globe for best actor for the 1986 film Mona Lisa, a role that also got him nominated for an academy award.
So if Twitter wants to mourn him twice, they really couldn’t have made a better choice.
Hoskins died of pneumonia almost two years ago, and it was most likely a fan posting the BBC article about his death—to mark the anniversary of his passing—that lead to the confusion.
I wasn’t online on Saturday, and totally missed the news that Bob Hoskins has died. 🙁
— Misa Buckley (@MisaBuckley) May 2, 2016
Those in the know were quick to point out the mistake:
Unbelievable. Death of Bob Hoskins is 5th most read BBC page today. Except that Hoskins died two years ago, you morons.
— Tom Phillips (@TomSprints) May 2, 2016
Sorry to hear that Bob Hoskins has passed away after a short illness. Wasn’t he in the James Bond film, “You only live twice”? #2014
— Steve (@Stevie___C) May 1, 2016
Seems Bob Hoskins has died again. Curse you, 2016! You weren’t happy killing living celebs now you have to go after dead ones too.
— Mark Greig (@Scuttlecliff) May 1, 2016
Even though it was a mistake, it’s nice to be reminded of a great actor who brought the world so much joy. We still miss you Bob. Goodbye… again.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.