- Hallmark pulls ad featuring lesbian couple after conservative protest 4 Years Ago
- Actress’ tweet calling out fellow passenger for not moving seats backfires Today 10:43 AM
- The 10 most influential hashtags of the decade Today 6:30 AM
- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
Bob Hoskins was a great and prolific actor. He appeared in over 50 feature films, playing everything from a band manager in Pink Floyd — The Wall, to J. Edgar Hoover in Nixon. He won a Golden Globe for best actor for the 1986 film Mona Lisa, a role that also got him nominated for an academy award.
So if Twitter wants to mourn him twice, they really couldn’t have made a better choice.
Hoskins died of pneumonia almost two years ago, and it was most likely a fan posting the BBC article about his death—to mark the anniversary of his passing—that lead to the confusion.
I wasn’t online on Saturday, and totally missed the news that Bob Hoskins has died. 🙁
— Misa Buckley (@MisaBuckley) May 2, 2016
Those in the know were quick to point out the mistake:
Unbelievable. Death of Bob Hoskins is 5th most read BBC page today. Except that Hoskins died two years ago, you morons.
— Tom Phillips (@TomSprints) May 2, 2016
Sorry to hear that Bob Hoskins has passed away after a short illness. Wasn’t he in the James Bond film, “You only live twice”? #2014
— Steve (@Stevie___C) May 1, 2016
Seems Bob Hoskins has died again. Curse you, 2016! You weren’t happy killing living celebs now you have to go after dead ones too.
— Mark Greig (@Scuttlecliff) May 1, 2016
Even though it was a mistake, it’s nice to be reminded of a great actor who brought the world so much joy. We still miss you Bob. Goodbye… again.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.