- Kylie Jenner criticized for yet another expensive car post Thursday 5:57 PM
- Apex Legends became a major Pornhub search in 2019 Thursday 5:15 PM
- CBS accidentally interviewed InfoWars host as regular Trump supporter Thursday 4:31 PM
- TLC accused of fatphobia, fetishization with show about ‘mixed-weight’ couples Thursday 3:41 PM
- Betting odds show KSI could fight FaZe Sensei, Jake Paul, or Justin Bieber next Thursday 3:20 PM
- Nick Cannon releases another thirsty Eminem diss track Thursday 2:59 PM
- Dogs at polling stations are helping bark out the vote in the U.K. Thursday 1:00 PM
- Streamers dominated Pornhub searches in 2019 Thursday 12:59 PM
- Pro and anti-boot factions emerge in wake of ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ trailer Thursday 12:31 PM
- The ‘Rise of Skywalker’ press tour has turned into a rehash of ‘The Last Jedi’ Thursday 12:18 PM
- What’s in a TikTok username? Thursday 12:00 PM
- All four of 2020’s Marvel/DC movies are directed by women Thursday 11:57 AM
- Jeremy Corbyn Rickrolls everyone ahead of British election Thursday 10:18 AM
- Trisha Paytas denies accidentally exposing herself on TikTok Thursday 10:04 AM
- Report: Barr wants tech antitrust probe wrapped up in 2020 Thursday 9:59 AM
The 5 celebrities to blame for twerking’s revival
Twerking has come a long way from the New Orleans bounce music clubs. Here’s who to blame, according to Yahoo and Google.
Twerking has come a long way from the New Orleans bounce music clubs.
The dance move, first popularized by southern rappers, has since become so prevalent that even grandmothers are doing it. In fact, “twerking” has been searched for 14 times more on Yahoo than the previous six months.
The same holds to be true on Google.
The reason for this relatively recently ubiquity? Celebrity twerkers.
Here’s a list of famous people who have played a major role in bringing twerking to Middle America:
1) Miley Cyrus
The artist formerly known as Hannah Montana became the Elvis of twerking—she took something largely attributed to black culture and made it safe for white kids—in March 2013 after uploading a Facebook video of herself in a unicorn onesie and dancing to J Dash’s “WOP.”
2) Harry Styles
The One Direction heartthrob pushed twerking to booty pop its way over the shark last Sunday at the Teen’s Choice Awards. After being egged on by host Darren Criss, Styles placed his hands on his knees and shook his moneymaker to everyone’s delight.
3) Nicki Minaj
Photo via Nicki Minaj/Instagram
The Harajuku Barbie made herself a top celebrity twerker thanks to Busta Rhymes, who featured her in his latest single “#Twerkit” (yes, the song actually does have a hashtag in the title).
No one makes the twerk life look more glamorous than Nicki Minaj. Case in point: this Instagram photo uploaded last week that shows her shaking it on top of a Maybach moments before she boards a private G4 plane.
4) Anastasia Ashley
Despite being an accomplished professional surfer, Anastasia Ashley wasn’t really a household name. That all changed on Aug. 6, when someone uploaded a YouTube video of her twerking as part of her warmup for the SuperGirl Pro tournament.
The candid video has since been viewed more than 4.3 million times, making the Ashley the latest athlete to become a viral sensation after Michelle Jenneke.
5) Vanessa Hudgens
Thanks to the Disney Channel starlet, now even Jay Leno knows what twerking is. Back in March—around the same time that Miley Cyrus unveiled her unicorn video to the world— Hudgens appeared on The Tonight Show to promote Spring Breakers. At some point in the interview, Leno somehow manages to get the actress to show off her moves that won her a dance-off against Madonna’s dancers.
Screengrab via Miley Cyrus/YouTube
Fidel Martinez is a web culture and politics reporter. His work for the Daily Dot focused on Reddit and YouTube.