- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe 7 Years Ago
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Today 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Love It or List It’ for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup online for free Saturday 6:55 AM
- Borderlands 3 preview suggests the aging series can still hang with the cool kids Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream the 2019 College World Series for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- Police try to solve domestic violence by giving victims blunt kitchen knives Friday 5:40 PM
The popular blogging platform is now one of the 20 most-visited websites in the U.S.
In an announcement made today, Tumblr CEO and founder David Karp confirmed that the site now collects 20 billion pageviews a month, up from about 13 billion in September, GigaOM reported.
“This started pretty modestly as something I wanted for myself,” Karp told GigaOM’s Mathew Ingram. “I remember very vividly that moment where I was like, it wouldn’t be much more work to add a column to the database that [asked] which user posted this post and maybe make it something other people can use.”
Karp credits Tumblr’s growing smartphone market with helping to push it to the 20 billion mark, although he didn’t reveal exactly how much of the site’s traffic comes from its mobile apps.
Tumblr was founded in February 2007. Today it collects more than 77 million posts a day across 79 million blogs.
Tumblr’s 20 billion monthly pageviews rank it as one of the most visited sites in the world. In July 2011 the microblog was number 92 on a list of Google’s top 1,000 most visited sites in the world. If Tumblr’s current pageview number was used instead, it would now rank somewhere in the top 25 of that same list.
Facebook, the world’s leading social network which registered its 1 billionth user on Oct. 4, collects more than 1 trillion pageviews a month, according to Google’s top 1,000 list. Twitter collects more than 5.9 billion pageviews per month, despite the fact that a bulk of its users visit Twitter via mobile apps and not its website..
The question is, how many GIFs of cats will it take to surpass the search engine giant?
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.