- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
Tumblr reaches 20 billion monthly pageviews
The popular blogging platform is now one of the 20 most-visited websites in the U.S.
In an announcement made today, Tumblr CEO and founder David Karp confirmed that the site now collects 20 billion pageviews a month, up from about 13 billion in September, GigaOM reported.
“This started pretty modestly as something I wanted for myself,” Karp told GigaOM’s Mathew Ingram. “I remember very vividly that moment where I was like, it wouldn’t be much more work to add a column to the database that [asked] which user posted this post and maybe make it something other people can use.”
Karp credits Tumblr’s growing smartphone market with helping to push it to the 20 billion mark, although he didn’t reveal exactly how much of the site’s traffic comes from its mobile apps.
Tumblr was founded in February 2007. Today it collects more than 77 million posts a day across 79 million blogs.
Tumblr’s 20 billion monthly pageviews rank it as one of the most visited sites in the world. In July 2011 the microblog was number 92 on a list of Google’s top 1,000 most visited sites in the world. If Tumblr’s current pageview number was used instead, it would now rank somewhere in the top 25 of that same list.
Facebook, the world’s leading social network which registered its 1 billionth user on Oct. 4, collects more than 1 trillion pageviews a month, according to Google’s top 1,000 list. Twitter collects more than 5.9 billion pageviews per month, despite the fact that a bulk of its users visit Twitter via mobile apps and not its website..
The question is, how many GIFs of cats will it take to surpass the search engine giant?
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.