- Devin Nunes’ lawsuit with Twitter over parody accounts inspires more parody accounts Tuesday 7:53 PM
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez posts SpongeBob meme to diss Green New Deal adversaries Tuesday 7:23 PM
- Twitter blasts Benny Johnson over heinous Native American ‘socialist’ reservations take Tuesday 6:16 PM
- New Zealand arrests 2 for sharing video of mosque shooting Tuesday 4:44 PM
- ‘Queer Eye’ season 3 serves more frothy fun and cathartic realness Tuesday 4:30 PM
- Everyone is roasting this photo of Kourtney Kardashian in a bubble bath Tuesday 4:15 PM
- White House report has a lot of superheroes listed as interns Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Google to launch ‘Stadia’ cloud gaming service this year Tuesday 3:55 PM
- Amy Schumer addresses her ‘Growing’ pains in new Netflix special Tuesday 2:04 PM
- This Bitcoin tie is everyone’s favorite part of the Theranos documentary Tuesday 1:56 PM
- Trump’s social media guru gets suspended on Facebook Tuesday 1:51 PM
- YouTube time traveler says he saw a dinosaur—in the future Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Why is Netflix changing the viewing order for ‘Love, Death & Robots’? Tuesday 12:47 PM
- Elizabeth Holmes’ deep voice captivates and confuses the internet Tuesday 12:40 PM
- These cat purses have everything you need (including balls) Tuesday 12:22 PM
The popular blogging platform is now one of the 20 most-visited websites in the U.S.
In an announcement made today, Tumblr CEO and founder David Karp confirmed that the site now collects 20 billion pageviews a month, up from about 13 billion in September, GigaOM reported.
“This started pretty modestly as something I wanted for myself,” Karp told GigaOM’s Mathew Ingram. “I remember very vividly that moment where I was like, it wouldn’t be much more work to add a column to the database that [asked] which user posted this post and maybe make it something other people can use.”
Karp credits Tumblr’s growing smartphone market with helping to push it to the 20 billion mark, although he didn’t reveal exactly how much of the site’s traffic comes from its mobile apps.
Tumblr was founded in February 2007. Today it collects more than 77 million posts a day across 79 million blogs.
Tumblr’s 20 billion monthly pageviews rank it as one of the most visited sites in the world. In July 2011 the microblog was number 92 on a list of Google’s top 1,000 most visited sites in the world. If Tumblr’s current pageview number was used instead, it would now rank somewhere in the top 25 of that same list.
Facebook, the world’s leading social network which registered its 1 billionth user on Oct. 4, collects more than 1 trillion pageviews a month, according to Google’s top 1,000 list. Twitter collects more than 5.9 billion pageviews per month, despite the fact that a bulk of its users visit Twitter via mobile apps and not its website..
The question is, how many GIFs of cats will it take to surpass the search engine giant?
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.