- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Friday 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Friday 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Friday 8:43 AM
If you watched it, you may have noticed an odd banging sound in the background during a few times when the audience stood up and started clapping. That’s Trump clapping at his own words…. into the microphone.
USA Today rounded up some of the moments that Trump clapped in a compilation video:
Here's a compilation President Trump clapping for himself during the State of the Union. pic.twitter.com/Zk1QdXpisL— USA TODAY Video (@usatodayvideo) January 31, 2018
Trump’s clapping, amplified by his microphone, quickly turned into a joke on Twitter.
Trump clapping directly into the mic pic.twitter.com/GWPbSJPT2R— Kayla (@SheetsKayla) January 31, 2018
Love the strategy of Trump clapping for himself during his own speech. I’m going to start doing this intermittently when placing fast food orders at drive through windows.— Ross Bolen (@WRBolen) January 31, 2018
the isolated sound of trump clapping is how i imagine the white house sounds most evenings, just the sound of his hands slapping together echoing down empty hallways over the low din of the tv— jomny sun (@jonnysun) January 31, 2018
Trump clapping at himself during his own speech for things he didn’t accomplish is a metaphor for his entire existence.— Punxsutawney Kitaen (@OhNoSheTwitnt) January 31, 2018
Well at least we know that the soundtrack to the 9th circle of hell is Trump clapping his meaty palms together repeatedly 4.5 inches away from a hot mic— Devin Lytle (@devdevnumnums) January 31, 2018
Meanwhile, others admired Sen. Tim Kaine’s “hate clap.”
If you need a refresher on Obama’s etiquette during the SOTU, here’s his last speech in 2016:
Obama mostly folded his hands or kept his hands at his side while the audience clapped during moments in this State of the Union. At the very least, he seemed to realize that clapping directly into a microphone would produce an uncomfortably loud sound.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.