- Indie game publisher announces Playdate, a console with a hand crank Wednesday 8:18 PM
- How to get The Sims 4 for free Wednesday 7:45 PM
- Trump’s Rose Garden podium sign is the perfect meme canvas Wednesday 7:34 PM
- Forest Whitaker to produce adaptation of novel ‘Hello, Universe’ for Netflix Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware Wednesday 5:34 PM
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Wednesday 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Wednesday 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Wednesday 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Wednesday 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Wednesday 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Wednesday 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Wednesday 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Wednesday 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Wednesday 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Wednesday 2:45 PM
On Tuesday night, President Donald Trump held a campaign-style rally in Phoenix, Arizona, that was quintessentially Trump: inspiring to his base, enraging to his opponents, inscrutable to many, and memeable for all.
At one point, Trump took pains to single out the leftist organization many on the right believe to be as bad, if not worse, than neo-Nazi demonstrators: “antifa.”
Or, as Trump calls it, ANNTEEEFAHH!!
Love it.@POTUS finally calls out this hateful destructive group by its name.
— American Patriot (@NotAPolitician1) August 23, 2017
“They’ve got clubs and they’ve got everything,” he said of the far-left anti-fascist group accused of instigating violence against white supremacists and other members of the “alt-right.” “ANTEEFAH.”
Most everyone on Twitter thought it sounded just like the Champs infamous “Tequila Song.”
hey can someone put this in that 'tequila' song or DO I HAVE TO THINK OF EVERYTHING AROUND HERE https://t.co/Ak9jbbAUEl
— josh androsky (@ShutUpAndrosky) August 23, 2017
Thus, a meme was born.
— Challenger (@bakedinapie) August 23, 2017
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]