- Far-right blogger claims Trump ordered arrest of Julian Assange 3 Years Ago
- Reddit man wants to tell people he’s been with his girlfriend for one year instead of 6—for an incredibly dumb reason Today 2:18 PM
- John C. Reilly’s son Leo is a TikTok star Today 1:58 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: A friendship sails Today 1:52 PM
- For celebs, Kobe Bryant tattoos are all the rage Today 1:01 PM
- The internet has discovered Jim and Pam Halpert’s daughter—and she’s on TikTok Today 12:32 PM
- YouPorn launches adult-themed TikTok knock-off Today 12:29 PM
- Clearview AI client list reportedly stolen Today 11:56 AM
- Billie Eilish’s brother Finneas walks back on tone-deaf advice to young creatives Today 11:26 AM
- ‘Caronavirus’ trends after Trump misspells coronavirus Today 11:20 AM
- Conservative writer claims rape victims, trans people are most privileged Today 10:45 AM
- Colin Trevorrow reveals the title of the 3rd ‘Jurassic World’ movie Today 10:28 AM
- You can pre-order Bloomberg’s ‘not a socialist’ hats now if you really want to Today 10:06 AM
- Who would win a Zayn Malik vs. Jake Paul fight? Today 9:23 AM
- Pete Buttigieg deletes tweet criticizing ‘revolutionary politics’ of the 60s Today 8:55 AM
This article contains explicit material.
The small subsection of Twitter that is actually funny mourned the sudden loss of one of its own this week… by sending a picture of a guy’s naked butt to a Philadelphia TV station. No doubt it’s what he would have wanted.
@TomBroDude, real name Tom Reynolds, who was extremely prolific and consistently funny on Twitter, passed away unexpectedly over the weekend, leaving many behind to mourn the loss of a genuine, kindhearted goof.
Friends and fans paid tribute by calling attention to his best work:
uugghhh the polite person who skillfully prepares my coffee didn’t spell my name correctly when i fucking mumbled it uggghhhh im dying ugggh
— Tom Bro Dude (@tombrodude) June 17, 2014
Darke the rapper- is he,, the best? Well it hard to say
— Tom Bro Dude (@tombrodude) February 13, 2015
i used to mess with a coworker by waiting til his lunch was done microwaving then beating him to the kitchen and throwing it in the trash
— Tom Bro Dude (@tombrodude) September 29, 2014
friend: how are you doing buddy?
me: not great, 9/11 happened yesterday
— Tom Bro Dude (@tombrodude) January 4, 2015
Soon, a plan emerged to celebrate Tom by doing what he loved so much: trolling Philadelphia’s ABC station, WPVI. He had an annual winter tradition of hijacking their snow hashtag, #6abcsnow
it’s become a yearly tradition for me, just wanted to say please feel free to have some fun with it regardless of where you live
— Tom Bro Dude (@tombrodude) January 26, 2015
Following in his footsteps, his friends decided to spam the station with this weird picture of a naked dude’s butt:
Check @6abc’s mentions on any tweet from the past 36 hours, and you’ll see the naked guy over and over and over. It’s truly glorious.
I never thought seeing a naked man 200 times in a minute would make me cry but… wait actually this has happened to me before
— ancient krab man (@SquidDad) September 20, 2016
The naked dude’s identity and the source of the photo are murky—a reverse-image search gives you nothing but Twitter results—but Tom was a big fan.
So it makes sense that his “favorite Twitter pals” would remember him by ass-spamming his local TV station.
They’re also taking more practical steps, though, like donating to a GoFundMe for Tom’s family and girlfriend.
Although Twitter is a bad irony website, none of this is ironic. Tom and his good tweets will sincerely be missed.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.