- Man allegedly kills girlfriend, then pretends to be her on Facebook Sunday 4:29 PM
- Trevor Lawrence met TikTok teen who looks just like him Sunday 3:48 PM
- Trump’s hospital visit spawns conspiracy theories Sunday 2:49 PM
- ‘SNL’ skit combines Harry Styles, the Popeyes chicken sandwich, and Disney+ Sunday 2:02 PM
- Doctored photo of GOP congresswoman flipping the bird fools critics Sunday 1:05 PM
- Internet scammers taking advantage of Narwhal the ‘unicorn’ rescue puppy Sunday 12:19 PM
- Sunday Night Football: How to stream Bears vs. Rams live Sunday 12:00 PM
- CupcakKe’s month-long ‘water fast’ has fans concerned Sunday 11:24 AM
- Will.i.am claims ‘racist’ flight attendant called police on him Sunday 10:28 AM
- How does Disney+ compare to Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and Apple TV+? Sunday 9:35 AM
- How to stream Patriots vs. Eagles live Sunday 9:30 AM
- Girl turns herself into ‘pleading face’ emoji Sunday 9:27 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Lions live Sunday 9:00 AM
- Chaotic good, true neutral: The 2020 Democrat alignment chart Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Brazil live in the U-17 World Cup final Sunday 3:00 AM
This article contains explicit material.
The small subsection of Twitter that is actually funny mourned the sudden loss of one of its own this week… by sending a picture of a guy’s naked butt to a Philadelphia TV station. No doubt it’s what he would have wanted.
@TomBroDude, real name Tom Reynolds, who was extremely prolific and consistently funny on Twitter, passed away unexpectedly over the weekend, leaving many behind to mourn the loss of a genuine, kindhearted goof.
Friends and fans paid tribute by calling attention to his best work:
uugghhh the polite person who skillfully prepares my coffee didn’t spell my name correctly when i fucking mumbled it uggghhhh im dying ugggh
— Tom Bro Dude (@tombrodude) June 17, 2014
Darke the rapper- is he,, the best? Well it hard to say
— Tom Bro Dude (@tombrodude) February 13, 2015
i used to mess with a coworker by waiting til his lunch was done microwaving then beating him to the kitchen and throwing it in the trash
— Tom Bro Dude (@tombrodude) September 29, 2014
friend: how are you doing buddy?
me: not great, 9/11 happened yesterday
— Tom Bro Dude (@tombrodude) January 4, 2015
Soon, a plan emerged to celebrate Tom by doing what he loved so much: trolling Philadelphia’s ABC station, WPVI. He had an annual winter tradition of hijacking their snow hashtag, #6abcsnow
it’s become a yearly tradition for me, just wanted to say please feel free to have some fun with it regardless of where you live
— Tom Bro Dude (@tombrodude) January 26, 2015
Following in his footsteps, his friends decided to spam the station with this weird picture of a naked dude’s butt:
Check @6abc’s mentions on any tweet from the past 36 hours, and you’ll see the naked guy over and over and over. It’s truly glorious.
I never thought seeing a naked man 200 times in a minute would make me cry but… wait actually this has happened to me before
— ancient krab man (@SquidDad) September 20, 2016
The naked dude’s identity and the source of the photo are murky—a reverse-image search gives you nothing but Twitter results—but Tom was a big fan.
So it makes sense that his “favorite Twitter pals” would remember him by ass-spamming his local TV station.
They’re also taking more practical steps, though, like donating to a GoFundMe for Tom’s family and girlfriend.
Although Twitter is a bad irony website, none of this is ironic. Tom and his good tweets will sincerely be missed.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.