- ‘Watchmen’ episode 5: Looking Glass just became one of the most compelling characters Sunday 9:05 PM
- Man allegedly kills girlfriend, then pretends to be her on Facebook Sunday 4:29 PM
- Trevor Lawrence met TikTok teen who looks just like him Sunday 3:48 PM
- Trump’s hospital visit spawns conspiracy theories Sunday 2:49 PM
- ‘SNL’ skit combines Harry Styles, the Popeyes chicken sandwich, and Disney+ Sunday 2:02 PM
- Doctored photo of GOP congresswoman flipping the bird fools critics Sunday 1:05 PM
- Internet scammers taking advantage of Narwhal the ‘unicorn’ rescue puppy Sunday 12:19 PM
- Sunday Night Football: How to stream Bears vs. Rams live Sunday 12:00 PM
- CupcakKe’s month-long ‘water fast’ has fans concerned Sunday 11:24 AM
- Will.i.am claims ‘racist’ flight attendant called police on him Sunday 10:28 AM
- How does Disney+ compare to Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and Apple TV+? Sunday 9:35 AM
- How to stream Patriots vs. Eagles live Sunday 9:30 AM
- Girl turns herself into ‘pleading face’ emoji Sunday 9:27 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Lions live Sunday 9:00 AM
- Chaotic good, true neutral: The 2020 Democrat alignment chart Sunday 6:30 AM
TikTok is a hotbed of memes, but a recent phone prank had some pizza chain employees particularly fired up.
TikTok user @machereford uploaded a 35-second clip that shows one phone placing calling Pizza Hut and another phone calling Papa John’s. The employees at the respective chains answered around the same time with their usual greetings. But confusion ensued after it became clear that another pizza chain was on the other line.
“Uh, you called Pizza Hut on 15th Street. This is Jim how may I help you,” the Pizza Hut employee says.
“Sir, this is Papa John’s,” the Papa John’s employee replies.
The video has gained 2.1 million likes on TikTok and 85,000 retweets on Twitter, where it was shared by user @iAmYart.https://twitter.com/iAmYart/status/1184895499209527296
The Papa John’s employee remained businesslike, but the Pizza Hut employee couldn’t mask his bewilderment. This resulted in one humourous exchange where the employees swapped pizza specials.
“Would you like to hear our specialties tonight? We’ve got an $8.99 pepperoni large pizza,” the Papa John’s employee says.
“Um… we have a $7.99 if you’d like to place an order for that,” the Pizza Hut employee replies, apparently coming out on top.
“[Pizza Hut] was playing 4D chess while Papa John’s was playing checkers,” Twitter user @Darrak commented.
Pizza Hut somehow managed to both be confused and 1-Up the Papa John's with a one dollar cheaper large pepperoni pizza. He was playing 4D chess while Papa John's was playing checkers.— Darrark (@Darrark) October 18, 2019
Many Twitter users posted memes in response. One user even decided to bring another popular pizza chain into the mix.
“Domino’s would have hung up with a QUICKNESS,” Twitter user @lovelyconchas wrote.
Domino’s would have hung up with a QUICKNESS— poc emo (@lovelyconchas) October 17, 2019
Hopefully, the pizza chains are just as amused.
Alex is a recent graduate of the journalism school at the University of Texas at Austin. She has written for the Texas Observer, the Austin Chronicle, KUT, and ORANGE Magazine.