- The ‘can have … as a treat’ meme has come full circle 3 Months Ago
- Joe Rogan says he’s voting for Bernie Sanders 3 Months Ago
- Woman spots mole in man’s TikTok video, saves him from cancer Today 2:17 PM
- ‘You’ star confirms his character is queer and ‘never will be’ straight Today 1:08 PM
- This Twitch streamer pooped his pants during a broadcast Today 12:17 PM
- Apple’s iCloud encryption plan halted amid FBI pressure, report Today 10:57 AM
- Glenn Greenwald charged with cybercrimes in Brazil Today 10:48 AM
- BadBunny rips her fans for not sending her enough money Today 10:06 AM
- White rapper punched in the face for saying the N-word during battle Today 9:21 AM
- Hillary Clinton blasts Bernie Sanders, says ‘nobody likes him’ Today 8:57 AM
- Someone found Harry Styles’ doppelganger—and TikTok is obsessed Today 8:08 AM
- Patrick Stewart has spoken to Kevin Feige about playing Professor X again Today 7:16 AM
- ‘Shrill’ season 2 expands its world and point of view Today 7:00 AM
- Trans/Sex: Let trans art be messy, weird, and uncomfortable Today 6:00 AM
- Pediatrician gets death threats after pro-vaccine TikTok video Monday 9:37 PM
TikTok is a hotbed of memes, but a recent phone prank had some pizza chain employees particularly fired up.
TikTok user @machereford uploaded a 35-second clip that shows one phone placing calling Pizza Hut and another phone calling Papa John’s. The employees at the respective chains answered around the same time with their usual greetings. But confusion ensued after it became clear that another pizza chain was on the other line.
“Uh, you called Pizza Hut on 15th Street. This is Jim how may I help you,” the Pizza Hut employee says.
“Sir, this is Papa John’s,” the Papa John’s employee replies.
The video has gained 2.1 million likes on TikTok and 85,000 retweets on Twitter, where it was shared by user @iAmYart.https://twitter.com/iAmYart/status/1184895499209527296
The Papa John’s employee remained businesslike, but the Pizza Hut employee couldn’t mask his bewilderment. This resulted in one humourous exchange where the employees swapped pizza specials.
“Would you like to hear our specialties tonight? We’ve got an $8.99 pepperoni large pizza,” the Papa John’s employee says.
“Um… we have a $7.99 if you’d like to place an order for that,” the Pizza Hut employee replies, apparently coming out on top.
“[Pizza Hut] was playing 4D chess while Papa John’s was playing checkers,” Twitter user @Darrak commented.
Pizza Hut somehow managed to both be confused and 1-Up the Papa John's with a one dollar cheaper large pepperoni pizza. He was playing 4D chess while Papa John's was playing checkers.— Darrark (@Darrark) October 18, 2019
Many Twitter users posted memes in response. One user even decided to bring another popular pizza chain into the mix.
“Domino’s would have hung up with a QUICKNESS,” Twitter user @lovelyconchas wrote.
Domino’s would have hung up with a QUICKNESS— poc emo (@lovelyconchas) October 17, 2019
Hopefully, the pizza chains are just as amused.
Alex is a recent graduate of the journalism school at the University of Texas at Austin. She has written for the Texas Observer, the Austin Chronicle, KUT, and ORANGE Magazine.