- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City 3 Years Ago
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans 3 Years Ago
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action 3 Years Ago
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Today 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Today 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Tottenham Hotspur Friday 6:59 PM
- QAnon supporters claim they couldn’t sport Q attire at Trump rally Friday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Southampton vs. Liverpool Friday 4:55 PM
- See when and where your team plays: The 2019 NFL preseason schedule Friday 4:51 PM
- Twitter is testing a feature that would hide offensive DMs you receive Friday 4:19 PM
- How to stream Arsenal vs. Burnley Friday 4:15 PM
Humans are as vain about animals as they are about themselves. Sure, a pet can be cute, but there are ugly ones out there. Thanks to contests like Petaluma, California’s World’s Ugliest Dog show, some are celebrated for their hideousness. And even those who aren’t lauded in some grand spectacle are being judged. That’s why Twitter’s @dog_rates has been so effective, and why @thecatreviewer is also gaining steam.
@dog_rates has a bit more of an internet humor bent, which has been on full display via the saga of Brant/Brent, a follower who just didn’t get the pumped-up rating system that ignores the limits of a zero to 10 scale.
After months of hating on the rating system, Brent had a moment of reckoning.
He’s probably not the only one mad at the dog overlords rating their fellow canines. For those who want a more hands-on approach to the pets they encounter, @thecatreviewer is right up your alley. Rather than rating images of pets it receives, the account calls on its followers to do the rating themselves.
Unsurprisingly, @thecatreviewer’s system has its own quirks too.
The accounts have inspired their fair share of copycats but also some pretty great spinoffs. Not everyone has a conventional pet, and some folks are more passionate about our scaly lizard friends or barnyard pets than pet pals of the furry variety.
Twitter positivity and cuteness: 10/10
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.