- Indie game publisher announces Playdate, a console with a hand crank Wednesday 8:18 PM
- How to get The Sims 4 for free Wednesday 7:45 PM
- Trump’s Rose Garden podium sign is the perfect meme canvas Wednesday 7:34 PM
- Forest Whitaker to produce adaptation of novel ‘Hello, Universe’ for Netflix Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware Wednesday 5:34 PM
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Wednesday 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Wednesday 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Wednesday 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Wednesday 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Wednesday 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Wednesday 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Wednesday 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Wednesday 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Wednesday 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Wednesday 2:45 PM
This is why we can’t have nice things.
Some celebrities had a boring feud about a song and whether it’s chill or not. This really heated up when Kim Kardashian released video footage of one Taylor Swift saying the song was chill. Swift claims it still isn’t—and that the filming was illegal. That’s not what interests the general public, who love to stoke a solid celebrity roast and watch the world burn upon it.
In the eyes of the internet, Swift got owned by Kardashian. A mural was painted on Tuesday to commemorate the reality star’s victory and mourn the loss of the pop singer. Street artist Lushsux slapped Swift’s signature (well, almost) and likeness on a wall in Melbourne, Australia.
The recent passing of @taylorswift is heart wrenching. Come and leave some flowers and light some candles at her memorial in Hosier lane in honour of her memory. If you do please DM photos of you doing it. #taylorswift #kimexposedtaylorparty #kimkardashian photo: @deansunshine
A photo posted by lushsux (@lushsux) on
Because T-Swift really does have no chill, her legal team reportedly threatened Lushsux for the “Taylor Smith” mural. Luckily, someone had Lushsux’s back when it came time to appease the justice system gods.
And that person just loves memes.
The mural was defaced on Wednesday for dark horse PM candidate and slain silverback gorilla Harambe. It combines the hot 2016 meme SpongeGar with an endangered animal mercilessly killed at the Cincinnati Zoo. And, goddamn it, it gets Harambe’s birth year wrong.
Are you sure you’re a real fan, graffiti meme artist? Name three Harambe conspiracy theories. And not just the one where he’s still alive at the age of 17. I’ll wait.
H/T Select All
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.