- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ unmasks the time-traveling Red Angel Thursday 8:30 PM
- Everyone is making memes of Meghan McCain saying ‘my father’ on loop Thursday 8:11 PM
- Irony of Georgia’s sperm-reporting bill flies by anti-abortion advocates Thursday 7:11 PM
- Sex scandals are consuming the K-pop industry Thursday 5:44 PM
- Trump supporters are abandoning Fox News over network’s latest hire Thursday 5:20 PM
- QAnon is attacking a random woman in a disturbing and dangerous way Thursday 4:59 PM
- Google celebrates Bach with AI-powered, music-making doodle Thursday 4:53 PM
- RIP: The best free trial in all of streaming entertainment Thursday 2:19 PM
- Which ‘Florida Man’ are you? Thursday 1:06 PM
- Hundreds of millions of Facebook passwords were accessible to employees Thursday 12:55 PM
- ‘Bitch I’m Bella Thorne’ morphs into TikTok dyslexia meme Thursday 12:17 PM
- Marvel is auctioning props and costumes from Netflix’s ‘Defenders’ franchise Thursday 12:12 PM
- Net neutrality advocates plan online watch party for the ‘Save the Internet’ Act Thursday 12:01 PM
- Tim Cook turns his iPad meme into an AirPod meme Thursday 11:46 AM
- Auschwitz Memorial asks visitors to stop taking playful photos at Holocaust site Thursday 11:33 AM
This is why we can’t have nice things.
Some celebrities had a boring feud about a song and whether it’s chill or not. This really heated up when Kim Kardashian released video footage of one Taylor Swift saying the song was chill. Swift claims it still isn’t—and that the filming was illegal. That’s not what interests the general public, who love to stoke a solid celebrity roast and watch the world burn upon it.
In the eyes of the internet, Swift got owned by Kardashian. A mural was painted on Tuesday to commemorate the reality star’s victory and mourn the loss of the pop singer. Street artist Lushsux slapped Swift’s signature (well, almost) and likeness on a wall in Melbourne, Australia.
The recent passing of @taylorswift is heart wrenching. Come and leave some flowers and light some candles at her memorial in Hosier lane in honour of her memory. If you do please DM photos of you doing it. #taylorswift #kimexposedtaylorparty #kimkardashian photo: @deansunshine
A photo posted by lushsux (@lushsux) on
Because T-Swift really does have no chill, her legal team reportedly threatened Lushsux for the “Taylor Smith” mural. Luckily, someone had Lushsux’s back when it came time to appease the justice system gods.
And that person just loves memes.
The mural was defaced on Wednesday for dark horse PM candidate and slain silverback gorilla Harambe. It combines the hot 2016 meme SpongeGar with an endangered animal mercilessly killed at the Cincinnati Zoo. And, goddamn it, it gets Harambe’s birth year wrong.
Are you sure you’re a real fan, graffiti meme artist? Name three Harambe conspiracy theories. And not just the one where he’s still alive at the age of 17. I’ll wait.
H/T Select All
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.