- Discord allegedly used to lure teenager boy to Florida trailer housing sex slave Tuesday 7:36 PM
- Millie Bobby Brown has the wrong take on ‘You’ Tuesday 6:42 PM
- Why is Tony Stark missing from the ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ trailer? Tuesday 6:00 PM
- The creepy texts this woman received are eerily similar to Netflix’s ‘You’ Tuesday 4:20 PM
- Roku defends decision to host InfoWars amid online backlash (updated) Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Pump yourself up for ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8 with this masterfully edited hype video Tuesday 2:35 PM
- NBC asked reporters not to call Steve King’s comments ‘racist’ Tuesday 2:21 PM
- Disney files copyright claim on YouTuber’s Darth Vader film—and the creator is devastated Tuesday 2:18 PM
- The ’10 Year Challenge’ isn’t as fun for trans people Tuesday 1:25 PM
- New Nike shoes can be controlled from your smartphone Tuesday 1:06 PM
- Cardi B. jumps on 10-year challenge with high school performance of Lady Gaga song Tuesday 12:28 PM
- Parents, teachers cry foul over Verizon fee hike for popular education app Tuesday 11:57 AM
- Conservative men are kicking and screaming about Gillette’s new toxic masculinity ad Tuesday 11:23 AM
- Mysterio is hot now in the ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ trailer Tuesday 10:53 AM
- Netflix hikes prices on all subscription plans Tuesday 10:48 AM
Much like gremlins, you shouldn’t get your spray tan wet.
17-year-old Alex Vinklarek of Houston, Texas wanted to look good for an upcoming cheerleading competition so she decided to get a spray tan.
“Tuesday night I went to the tanning salon because I have the cheerleading worlds this weekend,” she told Metro. “I only get spray tans before cheer competitions.”
The tan looked fine until Vinklarek went to her car and decided to watch some videos on YouTube. One particularly heartwarming video of a dog being reunited with its owner got the teen a little worked up. In fact, it was touching enough that she started crying, and therein lies the problem.
“I’m very aware of what happens when water touches [the spray tan] before you shower off,” she said. But by the time she realized what was happening it was too late.
i’ve always been told not to cry after a spray tan pic.twitter.com/hCFIwRchd4
— alex (@alexvinklarek) April 25, 2018
To make matters worse, her ruined tan only made her cry more.
“Two drops rolled down each side of my face,” said Vinklarek. “I immediately realized and opened my camera to look at it. I saw that I had two streaks and I started bawling my eyes out, so that’s when it got really bad. I kept trying to stop crying but every time I looked at myself I cried more because it looked so awful.”
Able to see the humor in the situation, Vinklarek snapped some photos and sent them to her friends, who encouraged her to post the pics to Twitter. People were, of course, highly amused and now her post been liked over 100,000 times.
Who wore it better? pic.twitter.com/oBM98nPqFM
— Kona (@Kona99) April 27, 2018
— Tristan (@T_TON) April 29, 2018
Don’t get a spray tan before watching infinity war
— мary cнrѕιтιnə (@potaetoing) April 29, 2018
damn you saw IW too?
— shaina 💛🦋🌱 (@shainaarosee) April 29, 2018
“I initially expected maybe 30 likes and when I woke up the next morning I had over 1,000 retweets and 20,000 likes,” she said. “I never thought the whole world would find this as funny as my friends and I did. I think it’s crazy but so awesome that it’s gone viral and I’m happy people get to enjoy the pictures like my friends and I did.”
Not everyone chose to make fun of the teen, though. Some people wanted to let her know that at least her eyebrows still looked pretty good.
at least your eyebrows look good! 😂
— ❥keℓℓi beℓℓi♛ (@supatkelli) April 29, 2018
Side note, your eyebrows are perfect and I'm jealous
— Chelsea Nicole🐚 (@sea__chelss) April 26, 2018
— queen unnie🌻 (@sexandpancakes) April 29, 2018
And it seems a lot of people seem to have ended up in the same boat.
Been there, done that unfortunately pic.twitter.com/n61h0sKcka
— Micalyn (@MicalynBrooks) April 26, 2018
It’s ok bb me too pic.twitter.com/W5cxEtOqLX
— jhalloffame 📸 (@justinhall550) April 29, 2018
happens to the best of us pic.twitter.com/Wm5r3ZKv11
— Brynn Parker (@brynnparker27) April 26, 2018
— mik (@mikwitcher_) April 26, 2018
You’ll no doubt be happy to hear that, despite all the tears, the story has a happy ending. Vinklarek was able to wash off her face before the tan totally set in and the tanning salon fixed it the next day.
Let this be a lesson to all spray tan aficionados. Avoid cute dog videos at all cost.
But not by taking a nap. Apparently, that isn’t a great idea, either.
i took a nap and drooled half my spray tan off my face 🙃 pic.twitter.com/waKKuwnCMR
— McKynli Newbury✨ (@Mckynli5) April 26, 2018
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.