- West Virginia corrections employees suspended after Nazi salute photo surfaces Thursday 8:02 PM
- Here are the 15 best Eddie Murphy movies available to stream Thursday 7:56 PM
- Ex-InfoWars video editor admits to making up Islamophobic stories Thursday 6:55 PM
- WhatsApp accounts deleted amid Kashmir internet blackout Thursday 6:21 PM
- Guy gets mocked for tattoo of Baby Yoda drinking White Claw Thursday 6:18 PM
- Spotify Wrapped has people asking just how much it knows about us Thursday 5:50 PM
- Instagram account allegedly asked for inappropriate photos of children Thursday 5:16 PM
- How to stream ‘Boys vs. Bears on Thursday Night Football Thursday 4:33 PM
- Woman caught her boyfriend cheating through his Fitbit Thursday 4:29 PM
- The Pete Buttigieg ‘High Hopes’ dance was designed by an intern Thursday 4:17 PM
- TikTok admits to hiding content made by fat, LGBTQ, and disabled users Thursday 3:58 PM
- ‘Merry Happy Whatever’ is an unoriginal sitcom with plenty of holiday cheer Thursday 3:55 PM
- The ‘Pod Save America’ Bros are losing it over Joe Biden’s newest ad Thursday 3:28 PM
- Van Halen had a wholesome response in defense of Billie Eilish Thursday 3:15 PM
- Influencer faces wrath of K-pop fans after her son played with penis-shaped soap Thursday 1:27 PM
Spongebob SquarePants fans are really, really looking forward to the halftime show.
Speculation over whether halftime act Maroon 5 would play the song “Sweet Victory” in memory of SpongeBob creator Stephen Hillenburg has reached a fever pitch online.
Reporters in Atlanta have heard the pop group practicing for the big performance, which appears to include visuals of the cartoon character.
During teasers for their big show, Maroon 5 included SpongeBob.
Rodger Bumpass, the voice of Squidward, also announced on Facebook he’ll be part of the show, CBS Sports reported.
“Sweet Victory” not only would be a great tribute to SpongeBob creator Stephen Hillenburg, who died in November but also would fit the theme. SpongeBob and his band during Bikini Bottom’s equivalent to the Super Bowl in a 2001 episode. You can see that full performance here.
The official news comes after months of an online petition made its rounds gathering over a million signatures asking for the song to be part of the half-time show.
“As some of you may or may not know, Stephen Hillenburg — the creator of Spongebob Squarepants —passed away recently. As a tribute to his legacy, his contributions to a generation of children, and to truly showcase the greatness of this song, we call for Sweet Victory to be performed at the Halftime Show,” the petition reads.
While many are excited, some are nervous that the performance won’t live up to the hype.
“I think we are getting our hopes up and it’ll be one of those five-second clips in the middle of a montage thing that they always do at the SB, not the full performance we actually want,” Reddit user innnikki wrote on a thread about the performance.
“Which is a shame because I believe Maroon 5 would do a killer cover of this song,” user flaccomcorangy adds. “I can’t say I’m a huge fan of theirs, but they’re a good band, and Adam Levine’s voice would fit the song pretty well.”
And, this being Reddit, of course there are memes.
So. Many. Memes.
Let’s hope fans get they’ve been waiting for.
Elizabeth VanMetre is a reporter based in Wyoming. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared on ETOnline, the New York Daily News, Yahoo Travel, and more. She hosts a local morning show in Wyoming.