- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Friday 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Friday 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Friday 7:56 AM
Reddit’s ‘SpongeBob’ stans are hoping for a ‘Sweet Victory’
For SpongeBob SquarePants fans, the Super Bowl might be extra special this year.
Spongebob SquarePants fans are really, really looking forward to the halftime show.
Speculation over whether halftime act Maroon 5 would play the song “Sweet Victory” in memory of SpongeBob creator Stephen Hillenburg has reached a fever pitch online.
Reporters in Atlanta have heard the pop group practicing for the big performance, which appears to include visuals of the cartoon character.
During teasers for their big show, Maroon 5 included SpongeBob.
Rodger Bumpass, the voice of Squidward, also announced on Facebook he’ll be part of the show, CBS Sports reported.
“Sweet Victory” not only would be a great tribute to SpongeBob creator Stephen Hillenburg, who died in November but also would fit the theme. SpongeBob and his band during Bikini Bottom’s equivalent to the Super Bowl in a 2001 episode. You can see that full performance here.
The official news comes after months of an online petition made its rounds gathering over a million signatures asking for the song to be part of the half-time show.
“As some of you may or may not know, Stephen Hillenburg — the creator of Spongebob Squarepants —passed away recently. As a tribute to his legacy, his contributions to a generation of children, and to truly showcase the greatness of this song, we call for Sweet Victory to be performed at the Halftime Show,” the petition reads.
While many are excited, some are nervous that the performance won’t live up to the hype.
“I think we are getting our hopes up and it’ll be one of those five-second clips in the middle of a montage thing that they always do at the SB, not the full performance we actually want,” Reddit user innnikki wrote on a thread about the performance.
“Which is a shame because I believe Maroon 5 would do a killer cover of this song,” user flaccomcorangy adds. “I can’t say I’m a huge fan of theirs, but they’re a good band, and Adam Levine’s voice would fit the song pretty well.”
And, this being Reddit, of course there are memes.
So. Many. Memes.
Let’s hope fans get they’ve been waiting for.
Elizabeth VanMetre is a reporter based in Wyoming. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared on ETOnline, the New York Daily News, Yahoo Travel, and more. She hosts a local morning show in Wyoming.