- The atonement of an alt-right troll Today 9:25 AM
- #StopTheBans protests draw thousands across the country in support of abortion rights Today 9:24 AM
- North Korea is using Trump’s low IQ attack on Joe Biden Today 9:14 AM
- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- What’s the deal with Bran Stark at the end of ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch TruTV online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
Reddit’s ‘SpongeBob’ stans are hoping for a ‘Sweet Victory’
For SpongeBob SquarePants fans, the Super Bowl might be extra special this year.
Spongebob SquarePants fans are really, really looking forward to the halftime show.
Speculation over whether halftime act Maroon 5 would play the song “Sweet Victory” in memory of SpongeBob creator Stephen Hillenburg has reached a fever pitch online.
Reporters in Atlanta have heard the pop group practicing for the big performance, which appears to include visuals of the cartoon character.
— Angela Moryan (@SidelineStormer) January 30, 2019
During teasers for their big show, Maroon 5 included SpongeBob.
— Maroon 5 (@maroon5) January 13, 2019
Rodger Bumpass, the voice of Squidward, also announced on Facebook he’ll be part of the show, CBS Sports reported.
“Sweet Victory” not only would be a great tribute to SpongeBob creator Stephen Hillenburg, who died in November but also would fit the theme. SpongeBob and his band during Bikini Bottom’s equivalent to the Super Bowl in a 2001 episode. You can see that full performance here.
The official news comes after months of an online petition made its rounds gathering over a million signatures asking for the song to be part of the half-time show.
“As some of you may or may not know, Stephen Hillenburg — the creator of Spongebob Squarepants —passed away recently. As a tribute to his legacy, his contributions to a generation of children, and to truly showcase the greatness of this song, we call for Sweet Victory to be performed at the Halftime Show,” the petition reads.
While many are excited, some are nervous that the performance won’t live up to the hype.
“I think we are getting our hopes up and it’ll be one of those five-second clips in the middle of a montage thing that they always do at the SB, not the full performance we actually want,” Reddit user innnikki wrote on a thread about the performance.
“Which is a shame because I believe Maroon 5 would do a killer cover of this song,” user flaccomcorangy adds. “I can’t say I’m a huge fan of theirs, but they’re a good band, and Adam Levine’s voice would fit the song pretty well.”
And, this being Reddit, of course there are memes.
So. Many. Memes.
Let’s hope fans get they’ve been waiting for.
Elizabeth VanMetre is a reporter based in Wyoming. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared on ETOnline, the New York Daily News, Yahoo Travel, and more. She hosts a local morning show in Wyoming.