- Twitter urged to suspend Tory Party Twitter account after it ‘misled’ the public 3 Months Ago
- This former stripper has the best Humans of New York story of all time 3 Months Ago
- How to watch tonight’s 2020 Democratic debate Today 4:21 PM
- ‘Dollface’ offers a narrow vision of womanhood Today 3:56 PM
- There’s a perfectly good reason why we can’t buy official Baby Yoda merch yet Today 3:00 PM
- Trump’s handwritten ‘I WANT NOTHING’ note gets memed Today 12:57 PM
- Facebook quietly launched a meme generator app called Whale Today 12:40 PM
- How to watch tonight’s fire Warriors vs. Mavericks matchup online Today 12:14 PM
- Android security flaw could have let hackers hijack your phone’s camera Today 12:10 PM
- How Julia Roberts playing Harriet Tubman became a meme Today 12:01 PM
- Woman banned from Instagram for sharing d*ck pic she didn’t ask for (updated) Today 11:55 AM
- People risking concussions for new TikTok challenge Today 11:14 AM
- A ‘Joker’ sequel could be in the works from Warner Bros. (updated) Today 11:06 AM
- Is Jake Paul going to fight again? There are plenty of clues Today 10:57 AM
- Ghostemane concert abruptly canceled amid ‘safety concerns’ and reported gun threat Today 10:41 AM
A YouTuber has released a deepfake version of the Spider-Man: Far from Home trailer in which Tom Holland is replaced with former Spider-Man actor Tobey Maguire.
The video, uploaded this week by YouTuber Aldo Jones, has already received more than half a million views and is freaking out Spider-Man fans in the process.
Users on Twitter were both amused and horrified seeing Holland’s role overtaken by the 2002-era Peter Parker.
I HATE IT BUT I ALSO LOVE IT. https://t.co/o8bGkl0pbf— Jamie D Slough (@JayDSlough) August 30, 2019
Why is this so great https://t.co/CO9ztXADb9— Quinn_terentino (@QTerentino) August 30, 2019
holy shit I love technology https://t.co/QPo7x9wnKu— Kristen Lanae (@kristenlanae) August 29, 2019
Developed using artificial intelligence, the deepfake video is giving fans of the web-slinger a much-needed laugh following the recent departure of Tom Holland’s Spider-Man from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Fans are dealing with the tragic loss in different ways. While some are creating deepfakes to pay homage, others are setting up memorials. In fact, a makeshift memorial for Spider-Man was seen outside of Disney’s D23 Expo in California earlier this week.
SOMEONE LEFT A SPIDER-MAN MEMORIAL OUTSIDE OF D23 IM YELLING pic.twitter.com/kgXYHFg6aL— vee ⎊ (@valsreactor) August 23, 2019
Even if Sony and Disney are unable to solve their differences, at least deepfake technology can be used to put Holland back into the MCU.
- Tom Holland’s Spider-Man is officially out of the MCU
- Someone set up a Spider-Man memorial outside D23 Expo
- ‘Spider-Man’ fans want to ‘storm’ Sony’s office in New York to protest him leaving the MCU
H/T Den of Geek
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.