- Judge orders Roger Stone to appear in court after his Instagram post 7 Months Ago
- I worked with the migrant caravan—and Trump is the cause of his national emergency 7 Months Ago
- How to watch Liverpool vs. Bayern Munich online for free 7 Months Ago
- ‘Patriot Act’ volume 2 proves Hasan Minhaj is the next big star of the news-comedy genre Today 11:01 AM
- ‘Friends From College’ canceled after 2 seasons at Netflix Today 10:53 AM
- Allow your wallet to be your spirit guide during this rad anime sale Today 10:43 AM
- Man stages fake DUI trial to propose to girlfriend, and people are asking why Today 10:40 AM
- Bernie Sanders’ website full of 404s on launch day Today 10:23 AM
- Pose’s Indya Moore goes viral for arguing trans women have ‘biologically female’ penises Today 10:21 AM
- Howard Schultz pens Medium essay declaring ‘unprecedented appetite’ for Schultz 2020 Today 9:56 AM
- The weirdest movie at the Oscars is ‘Border’ Today 9:22 AM
- Did Elon Musk just host PewDiePie’s meme review? Today 8:53 AM
- Loona stans take over Twitter with praise for the ‘Butterfly’ video Today 7:31 AM
- ‘Yucatán’ is a caper comedy that’s long on cons but short on laughs Today 7:00 AM
- The best memes of 2019 Today 7:00 AM
Regardless of where you fall in this debate, can we all agree that giving a knife to a snake is a bad idea?
Snakes are one of God’s precious creatures and an important part of our fragile and complex ecosystem, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t terrifying as all f–k.
The point is that a snake is plenty scary enough on its own, and the last thing it needs is a knife, yet designer/writer Chappell Ellison couldn’t help wonder: If a snake did choose to weld a knife, how would it hold it?
“Finally found a reasonable question,” she wrote on Twitter before posting an image that was one part interesting logic problem and one part glimpse of the worst possible dystopian future.
“If a snake wields a knife” reads the text in the image “would she hold them like this or like this?”
The viewer is then presented with the equally unpleasant option of a snake holding a knife in its mouth, or wrapped in its tail.
finally found a reasonable question pic.twitter.com/gdtqf7IkD4
— Chappell Ellison٩( ᐛ )و (@ChappellTracker) July 10, 2018
Admittedly, the snake in the picture is pretty cute, but that doesn’t make the prospect of a knife-wielding serpent any more desirable.
It’s unclear at this point where the image originated from. It was posted by on Tumblr by a user named Marjahh on July 8, but in her post she wrote: “I bring to you, an old meme.” Does that mean she found the drawing somewhere else? Or perhaps she drew it but the caption refers to the drawings similarity to the old “How would a dog wear pants?” debate.
Regardless of the new meme’s origin, Twitter had some thoughts on the matter.
If she holds it with the tail she can also use her teeth as weapons so attack will go up but the knife could be easily knocked out of her tail hold so defensively he Mouth would be better. I say it depends on the anticipated fight! (Go snek go! Killem!)
— Kellz (@PokeKellz) July 11, 2018
— Deku (@mathmito) July 11, 2018
Evidence for the picture on the right. pic.twitter.com/vQ9m78j7oO
— Conductress (@conductress) July 11, 2018
— ßerulean ßcavenger (@Khatoblepas) July 10, 2018
— fooly booly (@isaiahcarr21) July 12, 2018
— CrZ (@Crz_11) July 11, 2018
— EpionV (@EpionV) July 11, 2018
One woman, who goes by @ToniMacAttack on Twitter, went so far as to ask her snake-breeding brother to solve the riddle, and he happily obliged.
She wrote: “Today in ‘I asked my snake breeder brother a question with a funny snake photo and should’ve expected this response.'”
Today in “I asked my snake breeder brother a question with a funny snake photo and should’ve expected this response” pic.twitter.com/phIMm21bcr
— Toni McIntyre (@ToniMacAttack) July 11, 2018
In the included screenshot of her text exchange, the brother explains: “Arboreal species might be able to use their tails better but the most fossorial and ground dwellers don’t really have very muscular or long tails. So I’d say it depends on the physical makeup of the snake it’s self [sic]. The picture looks like a ball python so I say the first one.”
So there you have it. If a snake comes out you with a knife, it will probably be holding it in its mouth. Good to know.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.