- ‘Aggretsuko’ tones down the rage in season 2 12 Months Ago
- TikTok is being used to call out predators 12 Months Ago
- Republican congressman wants to defund PBS over the gay rat wedding 12 Months Ago
- Elizabeth Warren calls for sweeping overhaul of U.S. elections Today 11:47 AM
- In ‘Wild Rose,’ a star is born Today 11:39 AM
- The Sinking City realizes Lovecraftian horror in a new light Today 11:16 AM
- The ‘Avengers: Endgame’ re-release sounds pretty underwhelming Today 11:10 AM
- Google employees won’t be allowed to speak out against YouTube during Pride Today 10:43 AM
- YouTuber Etika found dead, NYPD confirms Today 10:39 AM
- Andrew Yang is holding a universal basic income giveaway Today 10:38 AM
- League of Legends streamer busted live by girlfriend after she finds his Tinder Today 10:19 AM
- Samuel L. Jackson roasts ‘Spider-Man’ marketing gaffe Today 8:49 AM
- Trump cites long-dead ayatollah while announcing Iran sanction Today 8:46 AM
- Why a far-right conspiracy about Ilhan Omar is in the news again Today 7:46 AM
- Razer publicly shames female influencer who tweeted about being sexually harassed Today 7:45 AM
Regardless of where you fall in this debate, can we all agree that giving a knife to a snake is a bad idea?
Snakes are one of God’s precious creatures and an important part of our fragile and complex ecosystem, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t terrifying as all f–k.
The point is that a snake is plenty scary enough on its own, and the last thing it needs is a knife, yet designer/writer Chappell Ellison couldn’t help wonder: If a snake did choose to weld a knife, how would it hold it?
“Finally found a reasonable question,” she wrote on Twitter before posting an image that was one part interesting logic problem and one part glimpse of the worst possible dystopian future.
“If a snake wields a knife” reads the text in the image “would she hold them like this or like this?”
The viewer is then presented with the equally unpleasant option of a snake holding a knife in its mouth, or wrapped in its tail.
finally found a reasonable question pic.twitter.com/gdtqf7IkD4
— Chappell Ellison٩( ᐛ )و (@ChappellTracker) July 10, 2018
Admittedly, the snake in the picture is pretty cute, but that doesn’t make the prospect of a knife-wielding serpent any more desirable.
It’s unclear at this point where the image originated from. It was posted by on Tumblr by a user named Marjahh on July 8, but in her post she wrote: “I bring to you, an old meme.” Does that mean she found the drawing somewhere else? Or perhaps she drew it but the caption refers to the drawings similarity to the old “How would a dog wear pants?” debate.
Regardless of the new meme’s origin, Twitter had some thoughts on the matter.
If she holds it with the tail she can also use her teeth as weapons so attack will go up but the knife could be easily knocked out of her tail hold so defensively he Mouth would be better. I say it depends on the anticipated fight! (Go snek go! Killem!)
— Kellz (@PokeKellz) July 11, 2018
— Deku (@mathmito) July 11, 2018
Evidence for the picture on the right. pic.twitter.com/vQ9m78j7oO
— Conductress (@conductress) July 11, 2018
— ßerulean ßcavenger (@Khatoblepas) July 10, 2018
— fooly booly (@isaiahcarr21) July 12, 2018
— CrZ (@Crz_11) July 11, 2018
— EpionV (@EpionV) July 11, 2018
One woman, who goes by @ToniMacAttack on Twitter, went so far as to ask her snake-breeding brother to solve the riddle, and he happily obliged.
She wrote: “Today in ‘I asked my snake breeder brother a question with a funny snake photo and should’ve expected this response.'”
Today in “I asked my snake breeder brother a question with a funny snake photo and should’ve expected this response” pic.twitter.com/phIMm21bcr
— Toni McIntyre (@ToniMacAttack) July 11, 2018
In the included screenshot of her text exchange, the brother explains: “Arboreal species might be able to use their tails better but the most fossorial and ground dwellers don’t really have very muscular or long tails. So I’d say it depends on the physical makeup of the snake it’s self [sic]. The picture looks like a ball python so I say the first one.”
So there you have it. If a snake comes out you with a knife, it will probably be holding it in its mouth. Good to know.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.